Dream Car

1971 plymouth barracuda hemi convertible with shaker hood and 4 speed pistol grip.

Do bikes count too? In that case a knucklehead bobber.
It's a custom so I'd have to show ya'll what I mean....

I'm too lazy to link an image, maybe later, lol!

Back in the old days, I felt lucky to have a car that started, and used less oil than gas. Come to think of it, I still feel that way...

I hear ya, but remember your 454 can't do that either, at least not in its present trim:cool:.

Yup, that's why I posted my dream car as the 67 big block 427 435HP Vette.

I can dream, can't I?

I could never get the list below 20, but among those that might actually be possible, this conversion ranks fairly high..

img_1234955_0_aab722bb995cbd27540fcb67dfee15f5.jpg

I seem to have more eclectic tastes, if more mundane, than the rest. In YERY rough order of preference:

1957 Chevy Nomad (preferably modified with modern drivetrain, brakes, etc.)
1967 Sumbean Tiger
Austin Mini Cooper S
1980 bmw m1
1959 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz
Volvo 1800es

What I find interesting is that 10 years ago the list would have been significantly longer and probably more conventional.

1967 Sumbean Tiger

Ah, the Sunbeam Tiger. Remember it being driven by Maxwell Smart, from Getting Smart TV show, although the one from the show might have been prior to 67. A very collectible car nevertheless.

Ah, the Sunbeam Tiger. Remember it being driven by Maxwell Smart, from Getting Smart TV show, although the one from the show might have been prior to 67. A very collectible car nevertheless.

That was a cool car although I don't think I'd fit in it. I think it started out with a 260CI Ford V8 if I remember correctly.

The Tiger was Rootes motor's last stand at creating a car for the U.S. marketplace. They enlisted Carroll Shelby to build a prototype, and he shoe-horned a Ford 260 V8 into the Alpine 2 seater. Then Chrysler bought Rootes and - for some reason - didn't want to sell a car with a Ford motor in it. Go figure. And that was te end of the Tiger.

It was a great car if you 1) didn't have to turn, 2) didn't have to stop quickly or 3)weren't sriving consistently below 25mph (they would overheat terribly).

But is is/was a quirky little car wih alot of personality and a blast to drive.
And you're right, if you're over 6'1", your' head was permanently planted against the convertible top

I'm still waiting for a Vega fan to show up. :cool:

Last edited:
One of these years, I'm going to pull the trigger and get a Nash Metropolitan for DW.

Awww, that's so sweet. I've been thinking about getting one of these for DH.

Attachments

• thing.jpg
    thing.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 0
For me, it's the 1966 Thunderbird convertible. I owned a '65 hardtop but the clean line from the window to the tail lights was something I really liked. While I currently have an '02 Mustang GT vert, it still has the "ragtop hump" when the top is down. The 64-66 birds dropped their top into the trunk which help keep the clean lines. Additionally, the '66 has an edge to edge rear lighting (tail light), whereas my '65 had the split (sequental) lights.

Attachments

• 66_Ford_Thunderbird_manu-01-800.jpg
    66_Ford_Thunderbird_manu-01-800.jpg
    331.2 KB · Views: 2
I'm still waiting for a Vega fan to show up. :cool:

Hey, my first car was a 30 Model A Ford (restored, sort of, not modified). Kept it till about 35. Then, DW and my first real car was a 71 Pinto! I really liked that car, even though my neighbors wouldn't let their kids ride with my wife and kids! If I had a barn or some other abundance of space, I might have one to restore! Nuts, I know. I'd love to have a 63 Vette, something about that split rear window.

Hey, my first car was a 30 Model A Ford (restored, sort of, not modified). Kept it till about 35. Then, DW and my first real car was a 71 Pinto! I really liked that car, even though my neighbors wouldn't let their kids ride with my wife and kids! If I had a barn or some other abundance of space, I might have one to restore! Nuts, I know. I'd love to have a 63 Vette, something about that split rear window.
I hear yah about the split window, but when the 64's came out lots of 63 owners swapped out that split for the one piece look. If they only had known.

Awww, that's so sweet. I've been thinking about getting one of these for DH.

Isn't that "thing" called the THING? Looks familiar. Speaking of the Vega, back in 1975 I bought a Vega "woodie" station wagon. It was my boss's car and I bought it as what we called a PEP car. Company product evaluation vehicle. My wife drove it for a year and then got her a Camaro. Back in the 70's we were driving many vehicles every year. Always company cars. First one was always a Cadillac. Drove it 3000 miles and then bought it as that was the rule. You had to by one car every year. After purchasing the Cadillac, it would become the wife's car. I would then get some other car to evaluate every 3000 miles and then get another one. Thinking back at vehicles and prices, I'll never forget my 1969 Corvette coupe. 350 ci, 350 HP (LT-1) I believe and it had the T-tops. With company discount my price was $4300. Drove it until 1972, married wife who had two kids, sold it for $3000 and bought our first Cadillac (a 1973 Coupe deVille). I wish I had never sold that Corvette. By the time I did it had Ansen mags, 10" tires and Hooker headers. Not a great mover or shaker but a great car.

Then, DW and my first real car was a 71 Pinto! I really liked that car, even though my neighbors wouldn't let their kids ride with my wife and kids!

When you sold the Pinto did you sell it with the asbestos suit?:D

Isn't that "thing" called the THING? Looks familiar.

Yes it is. I was just joking about DH liking someTHING like this. His favorite car is a pick-up truck.

Back
Top Bottom