Dreaming of a White Christmas?

Montecfo

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
After raining all day yesterday it just began snowing here in Northern Virginia.

Love snow, hope we get some accumulation. Had it been cold enough yesterday we would probably have 1-2 feet.

A white Christmas is so nice. Also love White Christmas, the movie.

Do people still dream? or dread?

Last edited:
No need to dream. We got a foot of snow this week! More on the way tomorrow.

I enjoy snow as long as I do not have to drive in it :).

When we have had snow on Christmas, it is enjoyable. I fondly remember one year when we had family visiting from Florida and it snowed Christmas Eve into Christmas Day. My nieces and nephews from from Florida were so excited, they could not wait to get out into the snow. It was one of the easiest Christmas days, our kids and their cousins spent much of the day out sledding on our lawn, the adults just sat and watched them. By the evening the kids were all tuckered out and it was quiet and relaxing.

We got about an inch yesterday and it's still there today. Been many years since we had a white Christmas!

We've only had a foot or so this year. Mountains are covered so it's pretty but we need a lot more.
Hoping for a winter like this one('18-'19, guesstimated at 10'). IMG_1550779866579.jpeg

Last edited:
Not here in Central Coast California. I still have some tomatoes ripening:)
We were in Budapest in 2007 and went to Midnight Mass Christmas Eve. As we came out of the cathedral, it started to snow. DW is a SoCal girl, and had never seen snow fall. We stood out on the top deck of our river cruiser with cups of hot cocoa and just watched it snow.

After raining all day yesterday it just began snowing here in Northern Virginia.

Love snow, hope we get some accumulation. Had it been cold enough yesterday we would probably have 1-2 feet.

A white Christmas is so nice. Also love White Christmas, the movie.

Do people still dream? or dread?

Still like and hope for a white Christmas but can get by with less than a foot of snow. Don't know if you were able to catch it but the movie "White Christmas" was run back-to-back-to-back.... on the Sundance channel from noon CST yesterday till just a few minutes ago. Then they segued immediately to "Law & Order."

Whenever I see heavy snow I recall my childhood enjoyment of building a snowman. Everyone is familiar with the classic image of a snowman with lumps of coal for features, but I wonder what kids today think? After all, it must be only a tiny few who have any actual experience of holding a lump of coal.

When I was small, the only heat in our tiny house was from a coal stove, and we had it delivered to a coal bin behind the house. So that was always a part of my life. I believe some of us also lived near railroad tracks where it would fall off passing coal cars. So for those of us of a certain age the experience was real. But how would a kid today know anything about coal? And what do they use when building their snowmen?

Frosty the Snowman, was a jolly happy soul,
With a corn cob pipe and a button nose, and two eyes made of coal.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 12.30.23 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-12-25 at 12.30.23 PM.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 21
Oh, I’m sure mom just goes by Dollar General and picks up a cheap snowman decorating kit!

Not much snow very often here. But I love it when it does, as long as I don't have to drive in it and we don't lose electricity due to ice!
Happy Holidays to all on the Forum.

Light snow year here but just started falling in big flakes.
Whenever I see heavy snow I recall my childhood enjoyment of building a snowman. Everyone is familiar with the classic image of a snowman with lumps of coal for features, but I wonder what kids today think? After all, it must be only a tiny few who have any actual experience of holding a lump of coal.

When I was small, the only heat in our tiny house was from a coal stove, and we had it delivered to a coal bin behind the house. So that was always a part of my life. I believe some of us also lived near railroad tracks where it would fall off passing coal cars. So for those of us of a certain age the experience was real. But how would a kid today know anything about coal? And what do they use when building their snowmen?
We used crushed stones from driveways for eyes and mouth, Carrot nose, scarf- no hat.

I woke up to snow-capped mountains this morning and we had a few flurries today. Heavier snow is in the forecast for next week.

You could afford coal?!?!?! We had to use rocks :LOL:

A few days ago we had record-high temps here in the Seattle area, then later the same day a couple inches of snow! Wish it would have stuck around, there's nothing so pretty as Christmas lights in the snow, like we had in January.

Attachments

• christmas_lights_in_snow.JPG
    christmas_lights_in_snow.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 18
Just started snowing where I am at in Oregon, I think we are supposed to get a couple of inches. I'm an Arizona girl at heart though and I don't get the appeal of snow at all. I'd prefer it if my only experience with frozen water was in cocktails. At least I don't have to go anywhere in it.

Brown Christmas here which is very rare. 40 degrees today full sun and no snow. A beauty of a day.

Damn .. no white Christmas, just a Tornado. But I did watch the White Christmas movie with Bing Cosby.

I don't know about today but when I was a kid the mention of coal would terrify me. My family was from a coal mining town that had a minefire. It seemed every time we would go there to visit, new areas were staked off to be evacuated. The next visit those areas would be burnt, the earth scorched. The smell of burning coal was rich in sulpher, the mine gas had a peculiar odor too. At one time, I'm maybe 6yo, I can remember being certain my parents were taking me to h*ll.

Only 50 degrees here today in FLA. Like watching snow on TV now.

Only flurries and not even enough to qualify as a dusting in Cincinnati area. All the snow is east of here, WV and PA; or northeast OH.

Cold day here, high temperature be lucky to get into 20s. Have a nice fire in the fireplace.

I grew up in New England, and my sisters and I shoveled plenty of snow over the years growing up.

As an adult I lived in Illinois for 10 years (lake effect snow) and in Maine for two years (snow drifts covered the car).

There was usually plenty of ice to go with the snow too.

This is just one of the reasons I live in NC. Snow is pretty on TV and on postcards - not so much in real life. On the few occasions when it does snow here, I just stay inside until Mother Nature gets rid of it.

Also mostly used stones for snowmen, but DF had coal for the BBQ which was, on occasion, deployed along with the carrot nose.

Snow is beautiful to look at or play in. Less fun to shovel/dig out of to go to work. Ice is the real culprit YMMV.

Last edited:
We got a substantial snowfall last week, but it all melted over the course of the last two days, so it's no White Christmas here.

Back
Top Bottom