Drink Beer and Get Paid For It

BUM

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
On Sunday DW and I were invited to a BBQ (ribs!). Along the way we stopped to buy 2 cases of cold Miller (MGD) longnecks. The cashier suggested I save the receipts and send in the $8.00 rebate form. :eek:

Just curious and "keepin' it real" do you other LBYM'ers go for coupon clipping?

I recently bought a laptop at CC. It came with "free" stuff that you had to pay for upfront (router, printer, case, software) but the rebates were actually worth $10 more than the free stuff. The sales associate explained that the store knows that only about half of the customers will ever send in the rebates. I sent them in and promptly sold the stuff (and my old lappie) on ebay, thereby further reducing the total cost of the new laptop. Working so well I gonna do it again for DW.

Fave sight mentioned here before is www.fatwallet.com

I developed a slight cardiac arrhythmia just reading your thread title.
I could probably be called a "master rebater" ( oh, that's a little to close for comfort :eek:)
Always look for the coupon/rebate before I buy almost anything.
Most recent was the Lowes movers coupon good for 10%.  Spent that and they sent another by mail a few days later.  It will be gone soon.  Just got a 50$ rebate for a Toshiba laptop.  Rebates are good :-*

Hi JP,

I know what you mean. I researched the bejezzus out my laptop purchase. So I go in CC ready to execute my plan and WHAM I get sucker-punched by the Toshiba deal. A hundred bucks cheaper. Got it. Applied the difference to the 4 yr. coverage. What a deal.

Gotta get used to having he DEL key near the space bar. :p

Whenever you buy something on line you must do a search for discount codes. I usually do something like:

Company Name discount code or discount or coupon.

There usually is something out there that can save you money.

The real key to saving money? Only buy what you need!

BUM said:
Just curious and "keepin' it real" do you other LBYM'ers  go for coupon clipping?
I still clip grocery coupons and, when I can, buy dishwashing detergent in two-gallon buckets.

I don't know if I'm doing product research, mindlessly continuing a decades-old habit, setting a good example for our kid, or keeping my MIL off my back...

It's funny you ask this...I just filled out a rebate form to send to heartland america. I bought a power washer and will get $30.00 back for 5 min of paperwork. I think companies count on you not sending in the rebate forms.

I guess the answer is yes...I do

I do the coupons a little bit.  Not buying much stuff these days....  got too much now!  At the grocery store or other sources they never seem to have coupons for the food or cleaning products I use.  About the only coupons I can use are for paper products.  I tend to be a scratch cook.  I do take advantantage of an extra % off on Seniors day for groceries at Kroger family Fry's store.  Buy running a well stocked pantry and only buying the on sale items, as well as looking for the meat markdowns, I tend to trim 35% or more off the monthly total.  The rest of the month I usually only pick up perishables on a weekly basis.  Convenience food just does not taste that good and has too many "INGREDIENTS" that do not sound healthy or edible to my taste buds.  The regular checkers comment that I get about the most discounts with no coupons they have ever seen.  So, it seems to work well for thrifty me. ;)

I buy 3 different Sunday papers for the coupons. Our local ones are terrible and they are usually better in the bigger cities. Most of the stores around here double up to and including $1 coupons, so I get a lot of toothpaste, cleaning supplies, and deodorant for free. It's a game to see how much I get. I probably shop every 2-3 weeks for this kind of stuff because it does take time to clip the coupons and check the sale ads. I get the free items even if I won't use them. I'll just give them away.

I hate rebates. I send them in and have to hassle the rebate center 4 months later. The last time, for my Samsung monitor, they didn't acknowledge receiving it until I called and sent an email. Then it was "processing" for 8 weeks until I called them again. Then it was in the state of "Check is being printed" for another 4 weeks until I called them again. Smells like work to me.

eridanus said:
I hate rebates. I send them in and have to hassle the rebate center 4 months later. The last time, for my Samsung monitor, they didn't acknowledge receiving it until I called and sent an email. Then it was "processing" for 8 weeks until I called them again. Then it was in the state of "Check is being printed" for another 4 weeks until I called them again. Smells like work to me.

I have had that problem also... I bought a monitor at Fry's... had 30 days to send in the rebate... seems I did it on the 31st day.. they refused to pay.. back and forth, back and forth... etc. etc... finally after about 5 or so months went into Fry's and said "I will get this $75 rebate or I will never buy anything from you again".. he wanted to copy what I had and give me a receipt... I said, no thanks... I do not need it... I will not buy anything until I see a check and I will not ask again..

Well, lo and behold... I got a check about 3 months later...

SO, I am now on my new computer I bought at Fry's and sent in my $50 rebate...

NOW, what I hate is the ones that only give you 5 or 7 days from purchase to postmark them even if the program is going on for 3 more weeks!! WHY:confused: They do NOT want to pay it... just advertise the rebate and you do not see the fine print saying 7 days... (I did lose that one from Fry's, but it was only $5 and it was me who waited 30 days...)..

Donzo said:
I think companies count on you not sending in the rebate forms.

This is a fact. Around 50% don't bother or forget or loose the damn thing or get frustrated with the process. A $550 laptop plus ext. warrantee plus pre-paid freebies drive the register cost to over $900. Sure the rebates are worth $400 but you gotta run the gauntlet. :p

Back
Top Bottom