drinking soda instead of water

I've seen people do it. They're the ones who have to look themselves in the mirror.

They do. Then tell themselves "I am so good lookin'. And smart too".

It's sad, but if people thought differently, they would not have done it.

We were at Panera yesterday. Didn’t notice any drink cheaters but I think we saw something worse. A couple was sitting in one of the best booths - a nice corner one with shade on the outside patio - and they were blatantly eating food from the nearby Subway. I don’t think they purchased anything at Panera at all. How rude!

All of the fast food places around here give unlimited refills on sodas so I doubt they can track soda theft.

Why would I call the Panera police?
The two employees that I chatted with --- not about the beverage stealing --- saw the same thing and said nothing.
Not my problem.
You seemed irked enough to vent here.
I was wondering if you were irked enough to do anything about it.

Guess not.

Plus, the cost of the sugar water coming out of the fountain is so low that it’s not worth making a scene, even by the manager.

My wife shakes her head at me when I fill my cup with water and then give it a small amount if their lemonade. About the same flavor wise as adding a lemon. I wouldn’t fill the cup, but a spritz of lemon I’ve justified in my head. Oh well.
We each justify why it's okay to bend the rules in our own way.

- It was just a spritz
- It was just a little cup

I find it interesting that fast-food places make the smallest mark-up on their burgers, then large profits on fries and (especially) drinks. It's not their fault, it's what the customers want.

We'll pinch pennies on the meat, but when it comes to fatty, salty, sweet and especially caffeine-laden items, money is no object.

Only drink water or occasionally ice tea. But the DW and I will often split a po-boy or something else. Most places don't mind but we've had 1 or 2 places that charged extra to split a meal.
Interestingly a large po-boy will easily be enough for us with a small fries to split. And the price difference between two small and one large sandwich is quite a bit.

They could have added MiO to their water. If it was, I did not know that you couldn't add that to water at a restaurant. I carry it with me and use it at work just to change up drinking plain water.

I wonder if that constitutes bringing outside food and drink into the restaurant which is explicitly a sign at some restaurants. :D

What! I can't bring a bottle of Cheer Wine into a fast food joint and down it with my burger?

Ok, I confess!
I got a water glass at Panera but filled it with soda water!
Lock me up in Panera jail with nothing but bread, water, and broccoli cheddar soup.

Plus, the cost of the sugar water coming out of the fountain is so low that it’s not worth making a scene, even by the manager.

My wife shakes her head at me when I fill my cup with water and then give it a small amount if their lemonade. About the same flavor wise as adding a lemon. I wouldn’t fill the cup, but a spritz of lemon I’ve justified in my head. Oh well.

As long as you can justify it to yourself. It's all where you draw the line to determine if it's theft or if it's ok. Oh well.

You seemed irked enough to vent here.
I was wondering if you were irked enough to do anything about it.

Guess not.

No more irked than others who post on other topics in this Other topics subforum.

It was just an observation. E.g. nosy. E.g. not minding my business. :LOL:

To me it’s different going to a restaurant, paying for a meal, giving a tip, and then getting $0.02 for carbonation. Considering I try to minimize consumption (napkins, plates, etc) I’m sure I more than makeup for the added cost. The business makes money.

I would never get a free coke - but I guess for me the carbonation seems insignificant in cost and not exactly what they intend when charging for a soda pop.

I get water at Panera and squeeze a bunch of free lemon in it. I guess I could take sweetener and make my own lemonade. That would be legal as they offer unlimited lemons.

Only drink water or occasionally ice tea. But the DW and I will often split a po-boy or something else. Most places don't mind but we've had 1 or 2 places that charged extra to split a meal.
Interestingly a large po-boy will easily be enough for us with a small fries to split. And the price difference between two small and one large sandwich is quite a bit.

Because po’boys and small fries are HUGE down here!! (LA) that is a meal for two, or mom & 3 little kids!! 🤣

This behavior closely mimics those who somehow get a handicap placard and use it for parking, even though they don't need it.

Actually, reading the recent landlord threads, it also reminds me a bit of that too.

So, we have...
- Hey, I have cup, there's a machine. I'll get whatever I want.
- Hey, I have a handicap placard from uncle Joe after he went into the nursing home. Might as well use it.
- Hey, it's a rental. Might as well just throw the trash out into the back yard and let someone else deal with it.

I don’t drink soda pops, haven’t had one in years. If I’m feeling feisty with a good priced meal (>$10 lunch) I might use carbonated water. Unclear if I should be paying soda prices for carbonated water but at one lunch place I go it’s “free soda pop with lunch” (no carbonated water lever) so they win out. Same with my Costco hot dog.

Did some online sleuthing; for a 22 oz cup:
Syrup = .23c
ice, co2 = .02
lid/cup/straw = .05

So I don’t use ice but I guess there is a $0.02 I am stealing... don’t feel too bad about it.

So that's what they mean by "2 cents plain." :)

And here I thought this thread was going to be about you should drink water instead of soda...which you probably should. I can't seem to kick the habit though. Coke Zero over ice is my downfall. Part of it is it feels colder than iced tea or water over ice. A large part is often restaurants have bad tasting water.

We don't use the free clear water cup to get something else, but I'll confess our related sins:

1) Sometimes my wife goes with water to avoid caffeine...and takes a sip of mine for flavor!

2) When she does go for water, we often ask for a soda cup for her. While she just gets water in it, and it is much more convenient than filling that little glass, I'm guessing now that the larger cup probably costs them more.

We rarely drink soda, but every once in a while we go to a restaurant where DH wants to drink a diet coke. So we purchase a fountain drink, and he drinks most of it, but I also have some, which means we generally need to refill the cup a second time. I guess that's along the same lines as putting soda in the clear cups.

My frugal sister takes individual packets of Crystal Light drink mix to restaurants and orders water with her meal. She occasionally gets a look from the waitstaff but leaves the empty packet near the glass in the spirit of full disclosure.

Did I mention she was frugal?

My kind of woman:dance:

1) Sometimes my wife goes with water to avoid caffeine...and takes a sip of mine for flavor!

Uh oh. I feel indicted. Here I am bashing the cup and placard abusers, and it is I who too have sinned!

I admit that the DW occasionally takes a sip out of my (paid for) soda at these fast casual places. Sinner! Just got back from church, I need to go back.

I get water at Panera and squeeze a bunch of free lemon in it. I guess I could take sweetener and make my own lemonade. That would be legal as they offer unlimited lemons.

You can also squeeze a bunch of ketchup packets in some water and have tomato juice to go with your packet of pickle relish on a cracker. (College days in the 60s.) :D

Cheers!

I wonder if that constitutes bringing outside food and drink into the restaurant which is explicitly a sign at some restaurants. :D

Back when I was working I once had my boss join me and some friends (who also worked for him) for lunch at Wendy's. We were already going and he basically invited himself. He proceeded to then bring his bag lunch he had brought to work into the place.

None of us ever ate with him again.

My FIL (high net worth) takes the Sweet n Low packets home. He also buys a Sam's club membership, then does a big purchase, and then gets a refund of his membership. He also used to buy high end TVs and watch them for 60 days and then take them back for refunds. And repeat. DW and I joke that that is how he has so much money - he doesn't actually spend any!

DW and I joke that that is how he has so much money - he doesn't actually spend any!

I discovered this tactic of some wealthy people when I was a teenage caddy at a very elite and expensive country club. Among other miserly things, the club banned tipping so the cheapskates would not be embarrassed by them never tipping the caddies (they did raise the pay rates a little).

Also, referencing another thread, I'm glad your FIL was never my landlord.

Back
Top Bottom