Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-04-2018, 06:21 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

This behavior closely mimics those who somehow get a handicap placard and use it for parking, even though they don't need it.

Actually, reading the recent landlord threads, it also reminds me a bit of that too.

So, we have...
- Hey, I have cup, there's a machine. I'll get whatever I want.
- Hey, I have a handicap placard from uncle Joe after he went into the nursing home. Might as well use it.
- Hey, it's a rental. Might as well just throw the trash out into the back yard and let someone else deal with it.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-04-2018, 07:24 AM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj.mask View Post
I donít drink soda pops, havenít had one in years. If Iím feeling feisty with a good priced meal (>$10 lunch) I might use carbonated water. Unclear if I should be paying soda prices for carbonated water but at one lunch place I go itís ďfree soda pop with lunchĒ (no carbonated water lever) so they win out. Same with my Costco hot dog.

Did some online sleuthing; for a 22 oz cup:
Syrup = .23c
ice, co2 = .02
lid/cup/straw = .05

So I donít use ice but I guess there is a $0.02 I am stealing... donít feel too bad about it.
So that's what they mean by "2 cents plain."
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 08:53 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

And here I thought this thread was going to be about you should drink water instead of soda...which you probably should. I can't seem to kick the habit though. Coke Zero over ice is my downfall. Part of it is it feels colder than iced tea or water over ice. A large part is often restaurants have bad tasting water.

We don't use the free clear water cup to get something else, but I'll confess our related sins:

1) Sometimes my wife goes with water to avoid caffeine...and takes a sip of mine for flavor!

2) When she does go for water, we often ask for a soda cup for her. While she just gets water in it, and it is much more convenient than filling that little glass, I'm guessing now that the larger cup probably costs them more.
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:10 AM   #44

We rarely drink soda, but every once in a while we go to a restaurant where DH wants to drink a diet coke. So we purchase a fountain drink, and he drinks most of it, but I also have some, which means we generally need to refill the cup a second time. I guess that's along the same lines as putting soda in the clear cups.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 09:14 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
My frugal sister takes individual packets of Crystal Light drink mix to restaurants and orders water with her meal. She occasionally gets a look from the waitstaff but leaves the empty packet near the glass in the spirit of full disclosure.

Did I mention she was frugal?
My kind of woman
Old 11-04-2018, 10:10 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
1) Sometimes my wife goes with water to avoid caffeine...and takes a sip of mine for flavor!
Uh oh. I feel indicted. Here I am bashing the cup and placard abusers, and it is I who too have sinned!

I admit that the DW occasionally takes a sip out of my (paid for) soda at these fast casual places. Sinner! Just got back from church, I need to go back.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rianne View Post
I get water at Panera and squeeze a bunch of free lemon in it. I guess I could take sweetener and make my own lemonade. That would be legal as they offer unlimited lemons.

You can also squeeze a bunch of ketchup packets in some water and have tomato juice to go with your packet of pickle relish on a cracker. (College days in the 60s.)

Cheers!
Badger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:42 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadway View Post
I wonder if that constitutes bringing outside food and drink into the restaurant which is explicitly a sign at some restaurants.
Back when I was working I once had my boss join me and some friends (who also worked for him) for lunch at Wendy's. We were already going and he basically invited himself. He proceeded to then bring his bag lunch he had brought to work into the place.

None of us ever ate with him again.
BeachOrCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 09:59 AM   #49

My FIL (high net worth) takes the Sweet n Low packets home. He also buys a Sam's club membership, then does a big purchase, and then gets a refund of his membership. He also used to buy high end TVs and watch them for 60 days and then take them back for refunds. And repeat. DW and I joke that that is how he has so much money - he doesn't actually spend any!
PatrickA5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 10:20 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
DW and I joke that that is how he has so much money - he doesn't actually spend any!
I discovered this tactic of some wealthy people when I was a teenage caddy at a very elite and expensive country club. Among other miserly things, the club banned tipping so the cheapskates would not be embarrassed by them never tipping the caddies (they did raise the pay rates a little).

Also, referencing another thread, I'm glad your FIL was never my landlord.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael OíNeill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:44 AM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
There is a famous picture of one of Trump's kids eating at In-n-Out drinking a dark drink in the free water cups. Google it. Not a joke. Real news. Lol.
That's it. I have now seen everything turned political.

- R. Earth
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
They are no different than any other cheapskate celebrity (celebrities because they have never been elected to anything). The old saying is 'celebrities never pay for anything' And when they must pay they are often unhappy. And with my previously described Country Club experience with wealthy misers, I imagine my old Country Club members also would steal soda if they could.

Average A-List Celebrity Gets $100,000 of Free Stuff Every Year | TIME.com

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael OíNeill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 12:55 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
But...it was "real news"
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:38 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelor View Post
I have a friend that owns several McDonalds. He says he loses 6 figures/year on people that steal soda.

They do it multiple ways. He said I couldn't imagine how many people show up with old McDonalds cups on every visit. His revenue goes up every time McD's changes the look of their cups. Then a few days later it drops precipitously.
Soda literally cost a couple of pennies per serving at fast food places. Say it even costs 10 cents. For a single location that would be a minimum of at least 1,000,000 stolen cups per year.
ychuck46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:50 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ychuck46 View Post
Soda literally cost a couple of pennies per serving at fast food places. Say it even costs 10 cents. For a single location that would be a minimum of at least 1,000,000 stolen cups per year.
True, but he did say several locations. And, I'm assuming the loss is referring to the retail price of a stolen soda, not the few pennies it costs to make. Technically, if I sneak on to a golf course it costs them nothing as there are no additional incurred costs, but they have lost a $40 or $50 green fee.
Music Lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ychuck46 View Post
Are you sure about that couple of pennies per serving? I know that is a common perception, but I donít buy it. From a friend who opened a restaurant, to pricing syrup myself when I checked into a home machin, to a post on the previous page, copied below, I doubt it is as cheap as a couple (meaning 2) pennies per serving.
ď
for a 22 oz cup:
Syrup = .23c
ice, co2 = .02
lid/cup/straw = .05
ď
Sunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:01 PM   #57
Confused about dryer sheets

I also had a co-worker who carried MiO and added it to his water at lunch. Ö..comes in a small bottle similar to eyedrops......turned his water red...I'm guessing some sort of berry flavor.
taykinitezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #58

Quote:
Are you sure about that couple of pennies per serving?
I know it USED to be, back when I was in food service. But I wonder if the brand-name distributors take a huge cut, too. I'm guessing the restaurants would be OK with that, since they still make a 1000% mark-up.

Also remember it's far different to buy the syrup wholesale for a chain of restaurants than buying retail. I'm guessing they're able to negotiate quite a discount from Coke and Pepsi. Unless you're in the McDonald's corporate purchasing department, I doubt you'll be able to find out what they pay.

Bottom line is that money is no object to an addict. Restaurants can charge anything they want for caffeinated soft drinks, and people will pay it.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 08:50 PM   #59

I usually do buy a drink. However, on a few occasions I have brought a packet of True Lemonade with me (the raspberry lemonade flavor looks red) to add it to water. Mostly when I am trying to limit caffeine. I hadn't thought of it but when I do that I guess I should leave the packet visible so no one thinks I am stealing....
Katsmeow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you sure about that couple of pennies per serving? I know that is a common perception, but I donít buy it. From a friend who opened a restaurant, to pricing syrup myself when I checked into a home machin, to a post on the previous page, copied below, I doubt it is as cheap as a couple (meaning 2) pennies per serving.
ď
for a 22 oz cup:
Syrup = .23c
ice, co2 = .02
lid/cup/straw = .05
ď
Cup lid straw ice - that comes with water. They usually give out a smaller cup with no lid necessarily.