Join Early Retirement Today

Driving
Old 03-21-2023, 04:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Driving

I hate driving at night, so I don't. I find that driving during the day can be challenging due bad drivers we encounter. We drove across town the other day on the interstate and was frankly appalled at the driving antics I witnessed such as janky lane changes without signaling (apparently a thing of the past), tailgating, inattentive drivers. We will not do that again anytime soon. We will have to find another way to our destination. I once had a tailgater who was stopped by the police and cited ('bout time!). We carefully try to choose the time of day and route to minimize our exposure. It has definitely become worse in our area and suspect it has become ubiquitous. Another reason I am thankful to be retired.

P.S. I have become that guy...Get off my lawn! Sad but true
Moparguy392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2023, 04:36 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Okay...
TheWizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:39 PM   #3

Avoiding rush hour was one of the very first behavior changes made when I retired.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:44 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You’re free to punish yourself. We just don’t drive at rush hour when we can avoid it, easy once retired, and don’t take the roads we know back up from past experience. We live in a metro area of over 2.5 million and traffic is completely manageable with the above.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Do you by chance live in Houston? Sounds as if you described the traffic conditions and driving tactics perfectly. Of course I can think of a few other (actually more than a few) big cites "almost" as bad.
Old 03-21-2023, 04:58 PM   #6

We fixed that by moving where there is almost no traffic.
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 05:04 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Some really bad drivers around here! Not generally aggressive though. And we’ve had way too much interstate construction here too lately. But we just try to avoid busy times and at least here there is enough road capacity to accommodate the cars unlike many other metropolitan areas of the US. Other than construction constrictions, there isn’t much in the way of traffic jams.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:40 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

You may not expect it but I have heard a large number of people say Wisconsin drivers are among the worst in the country. Milwaukee is the worst but they are bad everywhere. I try to never drive during rush hour if avoidable and just don't drive much in general. From the excessive speeding, lack of turn signals, tailgating, texting it just is not worth the risk to be out any more than absolutely necessary. Sad but true.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 06:24 PM   #9

Hello Moparguy, Welcome to the forum.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:12 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC Rider View Post
We fixed that by moving where there is almost no traffic.
That can raise other problems. I don't like driving at night anywhere - even out in the boonies. Came across a herd of elk a couple of weeks ago at night. And deer almost nightly at our rural home. So I always try to do my driving in daylight.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:13 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Avoiding rush hour was one of the very first behavior changes made when I retired.
+1
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 09:16 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Welcome, Moparguy! Keep coming back - it's nice to see your first post.
Timeisprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 02:54 AM   #13

Growing up in the Vehicle City, I’ve always been a fairly aggressive driver. Years ago, first time taking my Montana born wife back there and witnessing a police chase up the burrow pit between the interstate, then later a guy zipping a block and a half past us the wrong way up a one way street to get into a restaurant, and almost everyone driving like they’re in the Indy 500 swooshing between lanes, she exclaimed, now I understand why you drive the way you do. Everyone here drives like a maniac. Lol.

But I think I’ve mellowed with age. Now my biggest pet driving peeve is people who block traffic driving in the passing lane when they’re not passing. But I don’t tailgate and flash my brights at them like they do in Europe.
Old 03-22-2023, 04:35 AM   #14

I've mellowed out, some with age, also with FIRE. I'm rarely in a rush. I walk/bike when I can but just leave extra time and bring a book or play on my phone if traffic isn't as bad as anticipated and I arrive early. I am also a bit of an optimizer and I can optimize my mental health and save gas by setting cruise control at the speed limit (or over if speeding is necessary to not disrupt the flow) and "parking" myself in the right lane.

When on longer trips I may go 5-15 over if safe based on conditions in order to optimize travel time over economy. (I'll aim to be 80-90th percentile so the real speeders can flush any speed traps and I won't weave through heavy traffic)
Old 03-22-2023, 04:57 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Unless at a night event, I avoid night driving.
The drivers in this area can be fairly bad at times. Have seen lots more accidents in FLA than up North.
I also mainly avoid rush hour and shop in the less busy hours.
Works well enough, as we will not live out in the boonies.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:34 AM   #16

Two words for you "defensive driving." Years ago I rode a motorcycle and took the MSF test plus read more than my fair share of motorcycle safety books, all of which made me a better vehicle driver and gave me an appreciation of the physics behind driving. On interstates around Chattanooga you pretty much have to go with the flow, 10 mph or more over the posted speed limit or get run over. And yes there are idiots lane swapping constantly causing accidents. Throw in inclement weather conditions and can bet there will always be an accident at the 24/75 split and the 24 ridge cut. Try to do most of my driving between rush hours and very seldom drive after dark. Again, defensive driving and never get in a hurry are keys to avoiding accidents, at least in my way of thinking.
Old 03-22-2023, 05:35 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

There is no rush hour here. Traffic is only during tourist season when they're working on the roads.

However, driving at night is not for the faint of heart. Too many deer, elk, bear, and the occasional moose make it challenging. I hit a deer a couple of years ago at 70mph, and I can still see it flying.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:15 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
You may not expect it but I have heard a large number of people say Wisconsin drivers are among the worst in the country. Milwaukee is the worst but they are bad everywhere. I try to never drive during rush hour if avoidable and just don't drive much in general. From the excessive speeding, lack of turn signals, tailgating, texting it just is not worth the risk to be out any more than absolutely necessary. Sad but true.
I used to live in Wisconsin and I remember everyone driving excessively slow. Throw in all the folks heading north from Chicago and fun times had by all.

Worst drive I can remember lately is the stretch of interstate from Las Vegas to LA. There are some long uphill stretches filled with trucks and RVs going slow. Cars darting in and out or worse, just sitting in the left lane going right at the posted limit. Hairy the whole way.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 06:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I used to live in Wisconsin and I remember everyone driving excessively slow. Throw in all the folks heading north from Chicago and fun times had by all.

Worst drive I can remember lately is the stretch of interstate from Las Vegas to LA. There are some long uphill stretches filled with trucks and RVs going slow. Cars darting in and out or worse, just sitting in the left lane going right at the posted limit. Hairy the whole way.

One of my guilty pleasures is police body cam videos. Wisconsin never disappoints. I really think Wisconsin Man should be above Florida Man in the rankings of bad life decisions.
Old 03-22-2023, 06:36 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLSUnFIRE View Post
One of my guilty pleasures is police body cam videos. Wisconsin never disappoints. I really think Wisconsin Man should be above Florida Man in the rankings of bad life decisions.
Likely because Wisconsin is one of the booziest states.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote