Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by redduck View Post
I live in Southern California, so I never needed to even think about stuff like this. (I also have never driven a truck). This information is all brand new to me.

Thanks for the tip.
And the tire tips mentioned above are very important. I'm going to get new tires for my F-150 4x4 before winter. Tires with deeper tread than my current set. If the truck isn't going to get much highway mileage, and it's going to spend winters on snow/ice, it helps a lot to have deeper tread.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 03:53 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
And the tire tips mentioned above are very important. I'm going to get new tires for my F-150 4x4 before winter. Tires with deeper tread than my current set. If the truck isn't going to get much highway mileage, and it's going to spend winters on snow/ice, it helps a lot to have deeper tread.
It is not just the depth of the tread but the hardness of the rubber and siping, especially on ice.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 06:13 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
4WD will help you get going but it does not really stop or turn any better. Lot of people forget that. Real winter tires can make as much difference as anything, as several suggested. Some weight in the bed does help.

4WD does not make you able to drive like no concern for the bad traction. Just drive cautious, no fast acceleration, braking or turning and she will do fine.
We had a subaru Loyale which had "on demand" 4WD. We found that the 4WD setting could get you into trouble much faster than the brakes (and steering) could get you out of it. Do NOT let the ease of 4WD getting through snow FOOL you.

One other thing which may or may not be valuable. On the Loyale, the auto trans allowed you to select 2nd gear. When you selected 2nd gear, the car did not start out in 1st gear. It actually started out in 2nd gear. This lowered the torque to the wheels and virtually prevented accidental wheel spin - even in the slickest conditions. Starting in "drive" could easily lead to wheel spin - even though the car was in 4WD. Using the 2nd gear with 4WD was ESPECIALLY helpful when you were parallel parked in slick and or snow conditions. Cocking the wheels to exit a tight space is a recipe for wheel spin in icy conditions. Using 2nd prevented this (on the Loyale). YMMV as always.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote