Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm99 View Post
65 still seems quite young to me, but I'll be there in a few years, so that may be why. When I was in my 30's, 65 was ancient.

And another thing. I see a lot of airport shuttle drivers are in their 60's and 70's. For whatever reason. I feel pretty safe in their hands, but it's likely that their reaction time is slower compared to the young ones.
Are you worried they will miss the text messages, because that is what I see many young drivers doing, texting and driving 85 mph down the freeway..
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2019, 03:49 AM   #42
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Driving is NOT a right. Can't drive until I'm 16-discrimination! Can't vote until I'm 18-discrimination! Can't drink until I'm 21-discrimination! Can't run for president until I'm 35-discrimination!
Me too!!! Another me too movement excuse.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 04:24 AM   #43
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Let's put aside the cognitive impairment that lessens one's ability to evaluate one's own driving for a moment.

So what are WE going to do to prevent US from being "those" drivers? The NY Times today has a story generated by Philip's accident about impaired older drivers. It mentions a "driving contract" with the younger generation whereby we let them make the call. Hmmm.

I have been a safe driver but never considered myself particularly good. I already find myself in my early 60s avoiding night driving - and when I can't avoid it, I'm fearful. I plan to take a senior driving course from AARP this year. I paid extra for a car with safety features (but am kind of afraid of them - what happens if the car brakes for me? What happens if the lane markings run out?) I leave 1 car length per 10 miles of speed for the car in front of me (that REALLY helps). My next move to another home will take walkability into consideration. I look forward to self-driving cars with great anticipation. I will probably be one who surrenders car keys sooner rather than later. But, even now, I'm building some cash towards my "next car" to be purchased sometime in my 70s. I wonder if I will ever need it.
Old 01-20-2019, 05:45 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

My FIL is age 94 and still drives. None of us will ride with him. He has backed into out car and crashed into BIL's car too. This along with numerous broken tail lights, slightly dented fenders etc. When he visits, we all move our cars out of the way. This morning, we are in the midst of a pretty big snowstorm and he surely will go out to buy a newspaper. All of this despite the fact that we have hinted (asked) that he stop driving. Somebody please take away the keys!
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 07:11 AM   #45

If you think older drivers are a hazard you should call your kids or grandkids schools and ask the age of the bus drivers. I know some locally that are 80 years old. I am 73 and they will only renew my license for 3 years and was told when you hit 80 the testing is more frequent. Age isn't a general overall guideline for eligibility but it should be a consideration. If someone in my family tries to take my license there will be problems.
frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:16 AM   #46

My dad drove until 96. He never had any accidents, but it still scared me. I went with him to get his driver's license renewed at 95. I felt for sure that they would want to test him (or at least discourage him), but they were happy to give him a new license - for free! Not even an eye test.

To be honest, the few times I rode with him he did fine. My brother kept telling me to take away his keys. My brother (who lived out of state) wouldn't tell him, he wanted me to do it. I tried. I disconnected his battery. He called AAA. Towards the end, he couldn't walk well enough once he got somewhere, so he stopped driving. I was relieved.

I tell DW that I'm going to propose a new law. Not for older drivers, but for texters. If someone cause me to miss a light due to texting there should be a mandatory $1,000 fine and 30 days in jail. She thinks I'm joking. I'm not.
PatrickA5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:24 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Texting while driving has to be a primary violation for starters and not a secondary violation like it is in some states.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:27 AM   #48
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm not sure if Prince Philip was wearing a seat belt at the time of his accident, but he was stopped by police for driving without a seat belt 48 hours after it happened. Seat belt use is the law in England.

People drive badly at all ages. At least try and mitigate your own injuries.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/20/uk/du...ntl/index.html
Old 01-20-2019, 08:29 AM   #49
gone traveling

Just open you eyes and look around you when you are out driving. Are the sucky dangerous drivers senior citizens?
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 08:43 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Just open you eyes and look around you when you are out driving. Are the sucky dangerous drivers senior citizens?
Around me in FLA (not a true retirement area), when I see the dangerous drivers, they are always youngins and usually male.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:50 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickA5 View Post
My dad drove until 96. He never had any accidents, but it still scared me. I went with him to get his driver's license renewed at 95. I felt for sure that they would want to test him (or at least discourage him), but they were happy to give him a new license - for free! Not even an eye test.

To be honest, the few times I rode with him he did fine. My brother kept telling me to take away his keys. My brother (who lived out of state) wouldn't tell him, he wanted me to do it. I tried. I disconnected his battery. He called AAA. Towards the end, he couldn't walk well enough once he got somewhere, so he stopped driving. I was relieved.

I tell DW that I'm going to propose a new law. Not for older drivers, but for texters. If someone cause me to miss a light due to texting there should be a mandatory $1,000 fine and 30 days in jail. She thinks I'm joking. I'm not.
I was rear ended on I-70 by someone who had to be texting. She was the only person who didn't stop. As I stopped I looked in the rear mirror and she was looking down. Of course this was in MO where it's legal to text and drive.

Hahaha, someone upstream was worried about people driving under the influence of cannabis! You can test for cannabis but you can't test if someone is texting.
MRG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:22 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We have tons of seniors here being a popular winter snowbird location. And no, those aren’t the worst drivers around at all. It’s not only about reaction time. Paying attention and looking where you are going, being patient and having reasonable good judgement/not taking crazy risks is a big part of good driving and avoiding accidents. I see plenty of middle/family age people doing stupid risky stuff because they are in such a hurry.
Old 01-20-2019, 10:18 AM   #53
Give me a forum ...

When my dad had a big stroke at 59 he crumpled up his DL and said I’ll never drive again. It was sad because he loved to drive but realized he wasn’t safe anymore.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Of course not all senior drivers are dangerous. But, the realities of aging drivers with diminishing skills can't be ignored just because some younger drivers are bad too.

I've always been a fan of a driver's test for all drivers every XX number of years. By requiring everyone to re-test no one can claim age discrimination.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:46 AM   #55

Aggressive drivers and distracted drivers worry me more than seniors. Seniors usually drive slow and are paying extra attention. The dangerous drivers are the younger and middle age folks who follow too close, speed around me, cut in front of me on the freeway, accelerate quickly at a light even though I'm in front of them, drive way too fast for conditions, rush to get a parking spot, drive too fast through parking lots, etc. Not to mention younger folks are always on their phones instead of driving, and they're always angry and in a hurry.

That said, judgement and reaction times slow as we age. My wife recently totaled her car when an older senior pulled out in front of her on our county road. The other drivers age may have factored into the accident, but she could have been any age and just not paying attention.

My mother-in-law still drives at 80, just around her little town going to church and get groceries. She has neuropathy due to diabetes and can't feel her feet, but she has never had even a small accident.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:57 AM   #56

Folks,

There may be processes in your state to address this issue.

In my state, I believe that anyone can make a referral to the DMV to recommend a driver performance review/test. This would include medical professionals, family, neighbors etc. A series of tickets or court appearances could also trigger a review.

That all being said, when I was taught to drive, back in the day, we were always taught to be "looking out for the other guy". I assume that people are not going to stop ,despite what the law says they must do, if their not stopping will adversely impact me.

Not sure that I want to live in a society where we are all bubble wrapped to protect us from any possible risk.

I seem to remember that we had a similar thread here regarding this issue a few months back.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

in the FWIW department, I (and several friends) had to scrunch up against a building back in 1964 as the Prince roared past us. It may not all be about age but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:30 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
"Studies also indicate fatal crashes-per-miles-traveled increased for individuals, ages 70 to 74.

....snip

I didn't read the link, but my first thought on this statement was that older people may also sustain more severe injuries for the same accident vs a young person. So it may not be the accident rate, but rather the more fragile health of the driver that contributes to the higher death rate? Just a thought for consideration.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:47 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
I didn't read the link, but my first thought on this statement was that older people may also sustain more severe injuries for the same accident vs a young person. So it may not be the accident rate, but rather the more fragile health of the driver that contributes to the higher death rate? Just a thought for consideration.
Wow, that hits close to home and seems so valid from my POV. I had numerous accidents when I was in my teens and into my 20's. I was thrown out of a car once (as it flipped) and I dropped a couple of motorcycles. Walked away from all those without breaking any of "my" body parts. The cars and motorcycles were not so lucky. Any of those would probably ended differently for me today.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:10 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
My FIL is age 94 and still drives. None of us will ride with him. He has backed into out car and crashed into BIL's car too. This along with numerous broken tail lights, slightly dented fenders etc. When he visits, we all move our cars out of the way.<snip> Somebody please take away the keys!
You have a good chance of making this happen. Write a letter to the DMV in the state where he lives detailing those actions. Almost every state has a procedure in place to "randomly" retest drivers whose driving abilities are in decline for whatever reason.

I did that years ago for FIL, and it was one of the hardest letters I ever had to write. I actually liked the guy and knew that it could take away his mobility, but I and DW also realized that he was a danger to himself and others. To everyone's astonishment he (barely) passed the driving test but the issue was resolved a few months later when the car needed repairs he couldn't afford. But I would have bet my next pension check that he'd have failed the test.

BTW, in an example of governmental common sense, if you do write such a letter the state will not tell him who wrote it. Check of course, if that would be an issue as it would in most families, but most of the time they won't say who contacted them.