Join Early Retirement Today

Driving at Night - Oncoming Headlights
Old 11-24-2022, 09:23 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Driving at Night - Oncoming Headlights

It may be some amount of me getting older, but driving at night seems so much worse now with all the new cars with "light up the world" LED headlights. These headlights about blind you oncoming. Much worse than the older more yellow lights of older cars; be it halogen or the older tungsten filament. Sure it is nice to be the one inside the new car with the LED lights, they do work nice for *that* car to see at night when driving. Not so nice for the oncoming car.

I think it is a combination of the excessively bright like 6500K or higher color light and the fact that the LED's do not have the lens pattern or projector lamp holders of older cars. So the pattern is not as well focused, and is much brighter to me as the person oncoming to this light. Made worse because I live out in the country where it is pretty dark, two lane roads and some slight hills. All of these combine to make it quite hard to see the road when oncoming new LED light vehicle is approaching. Fine once it passes. But near temporary blindness to see the road at times.

Anyone else notice this? I know I can't change it, just ranting. Now get off my lawn

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2022, 09:35 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, I definitely noticed it on my recent trip from KC to SC and back. I thought it was my ageing eyes! I structure my long trips to minimize road time in the dark but it's not easy this time of year.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:38 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

All the above, plus all of us "of a certain age" have some level of cataracts which exacerbates the problem. From the joke thread:
Quote:
Whenever I see a car with them headlights shining in my face I always think that the person inside is stipid.
Old 11-24-2022, 10:23 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I’m very sensitive to bright lights because of RK surgery I had back in the 90’s. Now with the beginning of cataracts it is that much worse. Because of this I don’t like driving at night and try to avoid it. We have an intersection on a hill near us with traffic lights. Turning left there is hazardous at night because everyone is blinded by the slightly upward angle of everyone’s headlights. Turn signals are nearly impossible to see, so people often stop and hesitate to turn until the other guy moves first.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I find myself avoiding driving at night these days. Even though I've had both eyes done for cataracts, I just don't see as well and todays car lights are blinding as 38Chevy454 suggests. DW simply will not drive at night. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
I’m very sensitive to bright lights because of RK surgery I had back in the 90’s. Now with the beginning of cataracts it is that much worse. Because of this I don’t like driving at night and try to avoid it. We have an intersection on a hill near us with traffic lights. Turning left there is hazardous at night because everyone is blinded by the slightly upward angle of everyone’s headlights. Turn signals are nearly impossible to see, so people often stop and hesitate to turn until the other guy moves first.
My wife has the same problem and had RK. Also. I do most of the night driving.
Operating Engineer for a commercial plumbing contractor
skyking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 04:55 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

You're right. The new headlights are WAY too bright. I would think that there should be some regulations that limit the brightness on low beams. Just this morning I had to pull over to let someone pass me. Even on low, the lights were blinding me in the rear view mirror.
Palmtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:06 PM   #8
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
All the above, plus all of us "of a certain age" have some level of cataracts which exacerbates the problem.
+1

Add to that all the SUVs, which have higher lights and seem to point straight into the eyes of oncoming drivers.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 05:27 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I try not to drive at night if I don't have too. The brighter better quality of lights and the pickups set up so much higher than 10 years even.

Age is also the issue like the rest have said.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:11 PM   #10

This is much less of an issue for me after cataract surgery
RetMD21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 06:41 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Yep, I live in the country too and it's seems to be getting worse as I get older and the lights get brighter on these really dark country roads....
Old 11-24-2022, 06:57 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
All the above, plus all of us "of a certain age" have some level of cataracts which exacerbates the problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RetMD21 View Post
This is much less of an issue for me after cataract surgery
Me, too. I'd suggest mentioning this to your eye doctor. Perhaps you are starting to have cataract issues.

I had a similar problem before my cataract surgery. So, I got the cataracts removed (a surprisingly brief and painless procedure). That helped a lot with the brightness and glare. I still prefer not to drive after dark, but at least it doesn't seem as dangerous for me as it once did.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 07:10 PM   #13

i just close my eyes when a car approaches at night. so far, so good.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Astigmatism
Old 11-24-2022, 07:53 PM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

Astigmatism

I have noticed similar issues with abnormally bright lights/slight when driving at night. The diagnosis from my Ophthalmologist was astigmatism. The prescription I received is almost like night vision - the bright lights don’t seem so bright and everything is much crisper without glares..
Powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:09 PM   #15

I think the color is an issue. I suppose the blue-white improves vision for drivers, but blue light rays tend to scatter, which oncoming drivers discern as glare.

For years the French mandated yellow headlights to limit glare for oncoming drivers. A pair of yellow-lens shooting glasses or "blue-blocker" glasses can provide relief from headlight glare.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:20 PM   #16
Dryer sheet wannabe

In the recent past, I've noticed more oncoming vehicles have their high-beams on all the time. Do people not know what that that blue light in the instrument cluster means?
NatureBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 08:30 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatureBoy View Post
In the recent past, I've noticed more oncoming vehicles have their high-beams on all the time. Do people not know what that that blue light in the instrument cluster means?
The car I usually drive has automatic dimmers, the other car does not, so sometimes I forget and I get "flashed". I suspect that's happening to others too.
Old 11-24-2022, 08:33 PM   #18

I haven't noticed that this is a problem for me.
Old 11-24-2022, 09:01 PM   #19

The intensity of the LED headlights isn't a problem for me...........yet.
Right now, my biggest complaint is the increasing number of drivers that either wait until you're already blinded (within 20 yards) to dim them, or don't dim them at all.

In Minnesota, you aren't supposed to flash someone who approaches you without turning down the brights.

https://www.hometownsource.com/elk_r...ac3522eb5.html
Old 11-24-2022, 09:02 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

My night vision when it comes to driving has declined in the last few years. I recently got some distance glasses which have helped but not much (yet). I surely agree that those extra bright headlights from oncoming cars only adds to my challenges.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote