Join Early Retirement Today

Drone Pilot Medals !
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Drone Pilot Medals !

Some even rank higher than the bronze star.

Viral Photo Sums Up Military's Feeling About Drone Medals - Yahoo! Finance
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2013, 01:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Will there be an equivalent civilian award for people who are really good at "Call of Duty"?

Sorry, but to me this ranks up there with the various gedunk ribbons (given for happening to be enlisted while we're off having a war somewhere).
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
Will there be an equivalent civilian award for people who are really good at "Call of Duty"?

Sorry, but to me this ranks up there with the various gedunk ribbons (given for happening to be enlisted while we're off having a war somewhere).
Next up, a purple heart for carpel tunnel syndrome ?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by frayne View Post

Next up, a purple heart for carpel tunnel syndrome ?
Do you disapprove of medals for army doctors that invent new wound compresses or an Air Force meteorologist that comes up with a great new model for forecasting wing icing conditions on planes? If someone is a really good drone pilot and makes a real difference in the lives of others I would think that's worthy of some recognition.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

When drone 'pilots' subject themselves to physical danger beyond paper cuts and hemorrhoids I'll support a decoration that ranks above the Good Conduct Medal.What a crock...
Old 02-15-2013, 01:53 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Do you disapprove of medals for army doctors that invent new wound compresses or an Air Force meteorologist that comes up with a great new model for forecasting wing icing conditions on planes? If someone is a really good drone pilot and makes a real difference in the lives of others I would think that's worthy of some recognition.
Absolutely worthy and deserving of recognition, but there are a handful of medals already on the books for this sort of service. Something ranking above the Bronze Star is totally inappropriate for anyone not demonstrating courage when faced with physical danger in the face of an enemy. The only danger these 'pilots' face is commuting too and from work every day.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
When drone 'pilots' subject themselves to physical danger beyond paper cuts and hemorrhoids I'll support a decoration that ranks above the Good Conduct Medal.What a crock...

HighRoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Absolutely worthy and deserving of recognition, but there are a handful of medals already on the books for this sort of service. Something ranking above the Bronze Star is totally inappropriate for anyone not demonstrating courage when faced with physical danger in the face of an enemy. The only danger these 'pilots' face is commuting too and from work every day.
+1
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:07 PM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I got this while I had the Drone on full auto... pilot, and doing soduku.
Old 02-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

USAF gives medals for finishing boot camp.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:47 PM   #11

Quote:
I understand your point of view, but disagree.
The level of involvement these folks experience is far greater than most people realize.

The camera resolution on these RPVs is so high that the pilots develop a total immersion in the mission to an incredible degree. Their missions are actually quite similar to the old saw about "hours of boredom punctuated by moments of stark terror."

When they spend many hours flying patrol, then get called in to support ground troops engaged in intense fighting, they are actually "there" in all senses except the obvious geographical one.

I have no problem at all with the new awards. And yes, I have my own Bronze Star, if that has any relevance to the discussion.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Medals, badges and decorations are an inexpensive way for the military to recognise troops that contribute to the success of the mission. Load them up with fruit salad I say.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
... they are actually "there" in all senses except the obvious geographical one.
Yes, and therein lies the critical difference.

Maybe a Pewter Star....
Old 02-15-2013, 05:44 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

It looks like they are doing three versions of the Drone Medal, very much analogous to the Achievement Medal, Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service medal, and given for the same reasons as the existing medals.

At least this is better than the 'I graduated from the school' medal that I initially thought it would be. I still don't see why they didn't stick with the Achievement Medal, Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service Medal, though. More fruit salad, anyone?
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
It looks like they are doing three versions of the Drone Medal, very much analogous to the Achievement Medal, Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service medal, and given for the same reasons as the existing medals.

At least this is better than the 'I graduated from the school' medal that I initially thought it would be. I still don't see why they didn't stick with the Achievement Medal, Commendation Medal, and Meritorious Service Medal, though. More fruit salad, anyone?
One of the new drone medals, the Distinguished Warfare Medal, ranks just below the Distinguished Flying cross and above the Bronze Star - and the Bronze Star ranks above both the Purple Heart and the Meritorious Service Medal. It's this medal that has drawn the most criticism:

Quote:
It is not only the award itself, but its placement above, in order of prestige, the Bronze Star, that baffles and rankles some. The Bronze Star is awarded for extraordinary service to combatants in an actual war zone.
Quote:
“The medal ranked below the Bronze would likely have caused general indifference,”
Pentagon uproar over Panetta's hero medals for drone operators, cyber sleuths - Washington Times
Old 02-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #16

No problem with Drone medal for outstanding service, but ranking it above Bronze Star for heroics UNDER FIRE? Even curator of Military Times Hall of Valor thinks this puzzling-
New medal for drone pilots outranks Bronze Star - Army News | News from Afghanistan & Iraq - Army Times
ERhoosier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:26 PM   #17
Administrator

I thought being a REMF was its own reward.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:36 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

A drone pilot wouldn't make a pimple on a real pilots ass.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:37 PM   #19

My daughter saw my Air Force discharge papers. She called it my certificate of participation. So true.

I do not support medals ranking above the purple heart for people that have not been in harms way.

Also I am a private pilot. If your a** is not in the plane its not the same thing! Don't care about your prowess with simulators or remote control planes.

I have no medals myself. I was in during peace time.
Old 02-15-2013, 09:54 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yes, and therein lies the critical difference.

Maybe a Pewter Star....
Perhaps they could be honored with the label "Pilot Emeritus?"