Join Early Retirement Today

Dry/wiry hair remedy
Old 06-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dry/wiry hair remedy

I read about this, and it works to soften overly dry and wiry hair (much like gray/white hair gets or hair that has been hit with too much sun). Yes, I know this sounds bizzare and weird and kooky...but it WORKS! Mayo is protein and will go into the hair shaft and the avocado oil seems to help the process.

1. Need: one really ripe or overripe avocado and an equal amount of real mayonnaise; mix together very well.

Place on your entire head of hair. (Mine is almost waist length and super thick, so I ponytailed it and then slapped the mixture on my head.) Don't worry--with some heat--it'll sink in to the scalp.

Cover with some plastic (a cap or I used 2 plastic grocery bags) to keep heat in. You can now either put a big, thick towel over all and wrap to cover your head (which I did) OR use a dryer to warm your hair that's been wrapped in plastic.
You could even wrap your head in Saran Wrap and then use a dryer to heat your hair. The purpose of this is to heat the hair shaft, so the mixture will sink into the hair shaft softening the hair overall. I used the 2 plastic grocery bags tied with a towel over my head method, and left it on for 45 minutes...then I played on the computer.

Washed it out one time with a cheap shampoo, and didn't even condition it. Soft, soft, soft was the result.

Vwah-laaa: my hair came out soft and fluffy! It's been about a week ago I did this, and it's still soft and fluffy! (And to think of all the money I've spent on hair conditioners and masks..tsk, tsk!)

2. The other thing you can do--and it's cheap, plus, you can use most of the oil for cooking--is to buy some ORGANIC extra virgin coconut oil. Use a tiny bit of this thru your hair to maintain the softness. It works super well on dry/wiry hair. I had to get mine on the net.

*The only reason I posted this here is that most people after 50--and those who worship being in the sun in summer--get dry hair that turns wiry. I figured someone could use this cheap, ez remedy. After all, it's summer now and we seem to have alot of outdoors-types here.
**And now you can snicker....
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As long as you can outrun the crowd of people armed with salsa and tortilla chips, you're golden.

Sorry, that one was dangling from the limb.

I have been told that olive oil is a home remedy for all things dry. I do ocassionally rub some extra into my hands after I am done making my toasted sub roll creations (olive oil, mozz cheese, spices, tomatoes, etc).
I haven't tried it on my head yet. I have adopted the practice of washing my hair every other day, unless I am going out in public. That has made a huge difference in my hair texture.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #3

I swear by EVOO for all moisturizing skin needs. Not expensive and a great emollient for routine daily use. No perfumes or things I can not pronounce. With your hair treatment, a good sized dryer warmed damp towel will do the trick and it is easy too! The old time beauty secrets were born of necessity and many do work very well!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Home salon
Old 06-15-2009, 11:02 AM   #4

Home salon

Thanks for the post. I love reading home remedy/beauty tips using natural products. My sister and I used to give ourselves facials of oatmeal mixed with something or another(can't recall it was so long ago) to tighten our skin and dry up blemishes. I have fine hair so if I used an emollient, I would look like a skinned rat. I have heard avocado is good as a skin mask and I also like olive oil anything...straight up, in soaps, slathered on vegetables. I clean house a lot with so-called green formulas, too. White vinegar, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, etc.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 AM   #5

Possibly your oatmeal facial mask was mixed with egg white as whipped egg whites shrink your pores for some magical reason I never understood (no chemistry in my background, obviously). I never did a pore shrinking mask with oatmeal, but the whipped egg whites yes..and it works very, very well.
Oatmeal wet and made into a mask is a great product to put on dry skin, too, which is why Aveeno brand uses it for their dry and itchy skin product line out today.
My mother was a fashion model in the '40's, so I learned alot of tricks from her. And, of course, that was right after the War when nobody had much money, so....lots of home remedies that work.
By the way, you can put olive oil on your hair and let it sit. It will penetrate the hair shaft some and become softer, but not so well as the above recipe with mayo and avocodo.

(No guy on here will probably enter this conversation, but may take some of the suggestions on here on the sly I figure.)
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Hey, I'm all for any beauty treatments you lovelies give yourselves. Keep up the good work!

Ha
Old 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
...(No guy on here will probably enter this conversation, but may take some of the suggestions on here on the sly I figure.)
Nah, my guess is the guys will jump right in. Here's a draw...if you guys get those fine cracks in the tips of your fingers, the ones that lessen but never go away, olive oil is the trick. When I do remember to use it, I notice a huge improvement in those fine cracks. I've tried all sorts of heavy duty thick creams, even an Rx cream. Nothing w*rked except good ol' olio di oliva.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:48 AM   #8

Vitamin A and D ointment also works very well for cracks on the fingers and also for very dry skin on the feet and elbows. I think it is less greasy than Vasoline and has a rather clean and pleasant smell. And it WAS egg white that was mixed in to the oatmeal face mask! Back in the days when we sunbathed in the backyard, we also squeezed fresh lemons to comb through our hair to lighten it. Now I wear hats and SPF 30 even on cloudy days if I am going to be outside for awhile. Next will be the parasol and little white cotton gloves. Boy, I'm old.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM   #9

Good one, WhoDareWins...laughing at that last comment...pretty funny...chuckle, chuckle!!!!

HaHa: We still got it...some of us just can't remember what to do with it..har!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Here's a "what not to do:" Don't use mashed banana as a moisturizer for your hair. While in high school I'd read somewhere that mashed banana, with olive oil, made a great hair treatment. I dutifully mashed a banana up, mixed it with olive oil, let it sit in my hair for a couple of hours and then... couldn't shampoo all the banana out! It took about six shampoos and lots of fine-tooth-combing and I finally had most of it out... a couple of days later I think I was finally banana-free. All that shampooing completely undid whatever benefit the banana had, I'm sure.

Blech.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #11

Personally, I'm all FOR you guys doing some home beauty treatments on yourself, too. I see nothing sissy about it--unless you get too overboard like hogging all the counter space in the bathroom.
I'm not sure how other women on this board feel, but I like a guy who takes care of himself well...just not too-too well.
Dry hair? Fix it. Crows feet? Moisturize them. Cracked feet? Ewwww...definitely fix it. Just the basics are great! (Just no makeup unless your Brett Michaels.)
Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
I swear by EVOO for all moisturizing skin needs. Not expensive and a great emollient for routine daily use. No perfumes or things I can not pronounce. With your hair treatment, a good sized dryer warmed damp towel will do the trick and it is easy too! The old time beauty secrets were born of necessity and many do work very well!
When I was growing up, my mother had olive oil in the bathroom for her hair. I was an adult before I knew you could EAT olive oil and most people kept it in the kitchen.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
Personally, I'm all FOR you guys doing some home beauty treatments on yourself, too. I see nothing sissy about it--unless you get too overboard like hogging all the counter space in the bathroom.
I'm not sure how other women on this board feel, but I like a guy who takes care of himself well...just not too-too well.
Dry hair? Fix it. Crows feet? Moisturize them. Cracked feet? Ewwww...definitely fix it. Just the basics are great! (Just no makeup unless your Brett Michaels.)
Me too! Me too! Good-smelling, sparkling clean, well-cared-for = sexy in my book!

Husband started using my face cream instead of after shave lotion. It has done wonders for the thinning, dry skin over his cheekbones and the mustache area. I don't use scented products, so he doesn't smell girly. A man who smelled like a girl would be a turn-off!
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:03 PM   #14

There's nothing like a guy with great skin...especially as they age.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
Next will be the parasol and little white cotton gloves. Boy, I'm old.

Hey, I can remember my grandmother, a fine Victorian lady, using a parasol.

Two years ago, when I was in Japan in August, they were having a hellish heat wave. My pink umbrella became a parasol, and I blended in with everybody else!

The Japanese, in general, don't value tans and have a pretty low skin-cancer rate.

ta,
mews
mews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 07:36 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

i used mayo as a conditioner in the '60s. My long hair (parted down the middle of course) tends to be a little curly. I , of course, wanted it straight. I used to have my mother iron the curl out of my hair, which was terrible for it! Someone told me to use mayo on it before I had my mother iron the curl out of it! (But that's another story completely!) I would rub it into my hair before bedtime and then wash it in the morning. My hair was silky, and so glossy. It was amazing! I have used avacodo on my skin, but not my hair. Gotta try that one out.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #17

Chemists: where are you?
I wish some chemist would explain how it works here, but I do know mayo is basically protein (being composed of eggs); which means that it/protein is the ONLY thing that penetrates the hair shaft and smooths it out. All I know is it works.
I've done the mayo alone, and it worked better when I added the avocado. If someone has another reaction, pray tell.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I just can't get into purposely mashing food into my hair! I'm sure that all of you have softer, glossier hair and skin than I do, but the idea of bananas/mayonnaise/avocadoes/eggs in my hair grosses me out.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote