Dryer sheets

kaneohe

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Perhaps this is old news but it was new to me.
snopes.com: Clean Lint Filter Extends Life of Dryer

The claim is that dryer sheets over time muck up the lint filter making drying less efficient and shortening heater life. Cleaning the filter (beyond removing the lint) can help restore normal operation.

18 years for mine so far.

I stopped using dryer sheets a few years ago because of developing a severe reaction to laundry residue. My clothes are much softer now. It took a while to get the dryer sheet residue out. I think they use parafin in them, so no wonder.

I don't use dryer sheets anymore because of said reason. Depending on what I am drying, I either use a cup of vinegar or prescribed amount of Downey. Vinegar helps in hard water. I like the smell of fabric softener in sheets and towels. Sometimes I use a combination of vinegar and fabric softener. Clothes turn out soft either way.

Why would you put smelly greasy stuff on your clothes/laundry after going through the trouble of washing them?

I forwarded the Snopes link to the person in charge of such things here.

Why would you put smelly greasy stuff on your clothes/laundry after going through the trouble of washing them?

Amen! I never use dryer sheets or fabric softener...

I just KNEW there was a good reason behind the fact that I do not use dryer sheets...
other than being too miserly to spring for them... :2funny:

I admit I use TWO dryer sheets in the winter to keep our clothes from clinging to every surface possible including our skin (which is also so dry that the fabric gets caught and scratches it) and generating that unusable electricity and shocking us every two seconds. We could light up our block with the miniflares when we touch anything, metal or not, and it's not pleasant.

Dryers' controls break after six or seven years--not related to dryer sheets. I don't think. Maybe.

I've never used dryer sheets in my new front loading washer that I purchased about a year ago. My daughter didn't like that when she was still living here. When she moved out she said "NOW I can buy dryer sheets!".:ROFLMAO:

A while back I forwarded a link to an ER posting to a friend of mine. The poster had one of those "recycles dryer sheets" things under his name.

The next time I saw him, my friend went to his dryer and retrieved a dryer sheet cut in half to show me. He checks them when after use, and saves them if they seem to have some life left in them. He didn't think it was funny at all. :LOL:

Funny. Probably over 6 mos. ago, I tried to run water over my lint screen like the original email in the snopes link says. The email in the link says that water may not run through the lint screen. After using our dryer for over 7 years, only pulling the lint off by hand, and never previously washing, the water ran right through. Despite using thousands of dryer sheets over the period of 7 years. Snopes might say "true", but our dryer never had the buildup to begin with that would prevent water from passing through the screen.

So, what makes me so special? The needle on my bull$hit meter is pegged. Or, Bounce doesn't build up.

Getting my wife to remove the lint buildup manually, that's another story.

-CC

Tried same experiment, same result. Water ran through filter fine. +1 vote for BS.

Who fact checks the fact checkers? Now try saying that fast 5 times.

I use 1/3 of a sheet for a load of clothes and it works fine. I never use fabric softener on towels.

Back
Top Bottom