Duck and Bird Photos

Out for a walk, riverside, today without the camera, and that's when there's always something to see.

So, we deked home, less than 1/4 mile away, grabbed the camera, hopped in the car and rushed back in case they decided to leave.

Looks as if it's the first day off the platform for the baby Ospreys.

The two chicks and one adult on the power poles, with another in an adjacent tree. The adult in the tree kept up an almost constant whistle, perhaps trying to encourage the youngsters to move? They didn't, at least while we were there anyway.

21ll7c6.jpg

1110xt4.jpg

Great to see. The Osprey in the tree is actually a recently fledged chick. The 2 adults are on the right on the power pole with the chick on the left. The chick in the tree was probably complaining about the lack of food and at this stage the parents are very good at ignoring its pleas.

Great to see. The Osprey in the tree is actually a recently fledged chick. The 2 adults are on the right on the power pole with the chick on the left. The chick in the tree was probably complaining about the lack of food and at this stage the parents are very good at ignoring its pleas.

Thanks......the chicks are growing so rapidly it's not always easy for us, non-ornithologists, to differentiate between them and the adults.......(as our caption indicated).

Here are some more shots from yesterday:

.....the youngsters are still around, and everyone's living on the platform:

313re4n.jpg

207p0ed.jpg

50gvo1.jpg

Last edited:
Ducks and More Ducks

Just ran across this posting. I have two to share.

The first is an Inca duck (taken on Lake Titicaca in October 2013). The second an Egyptian Goose (taken in Serengeti National Park last month).

-- Rita

Attachments

• DSCF8546.jpg
    DSCF8546.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DSCN1987e.jpg
    DSCN1987e.jpg
    707.7 KB · Views: 2
Those are some exotic birds. Same as the others posted earlier.

Why is it that I only saw and shot Canada geese? I guess I must try harder. :)

Trying to befriend a (totally uninterested) Marabou Stork in Amboseli.......30 years ago:
2rogoyw.jpg

Was enjoying the Sunday morning stillness when all of the back yard birds scattered in a flurry of wings.

Then one, then TWO sharp skinned hawks flew in to perch in the neighbor's tree.

I managed to get a semi-decent shot of one of them from the kitchen window.
hawk-8-16-15.jpg

Now that was neat - two hawks!

Back
Top Bottom