Dumb Americans and let the arrows fly!

Don't get me wrong, I agree that there is no excuse. I definitely empathize with the passengers, since I have flown 2 times fairly recently, from Pittsburgh PA to San Diego CA and from Pitts to Hawaii. Our flight to San Diego was sent to Phoenix AZ due to fog problems and there were not a lot of happy campers.

If I were stuck on an interstate for that long of time, I am sure that I would have had to go also. You do what you gotta do sometimes. :)

If I am ever stuck on an airplane, I get dibs on SamClem being the passenger beside me! :LOL:

Dreamer said:
. . .If I am ever stuck on an airplane, I get dibs on SamClem being the passenger beside me! :LOL:
You and samclem can sit there for 11 hours if you want. I want TromboneAl next to me starting the chant: "WE WANT OFF! WE WANT OFF! WE WANT OFF!" :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

In the past I flew often enough to earn the 'gold' status and lots of upgrades. Now I just fly regularly. I have had flights land in Spokane when Seattle or Portland closed. Never have I been subjected to poor planning and inconsiderate treatment such as what has happened to passengers much too often in recent years.

Mr. Important's needs are not superior to the needs of children and the infirm. If s/he is that important they should be on a private aircraft (which would probably be grounded under those conditions in any case). I think I could put together a set of requirements for dispatch that would prevent this. The first would be that in foul weather the gate is only for active loading or unloading only, not for parking. Parked planes should not stay at the gate if there is a parade of aircraft on the taxiway. Aircraft should not be loaded with passengers when aircraft are backed up on the runway for reasons of weather. And I am just starting ....

Were I on that stranded aircraft I would be calling everyone who would make the airline's life miserable, and leading the sing-along. Threats of arrest by Homeland Security don't concern me at all. The trial would be a gas...

sgeeeee said:
A lot of homeland security money went into beefing up police forces in airports. Now you have all these gung-ho cops with nothing to do but arrest anyone who displays frustration.

The really sick thing is that all this is essentially a ruse to make air travelers feel
safe. So the more police officers harrassing travelers, the safer everyone feels.
Security experts will tell you this is the case, and that if terrorists really want to
bring an airplane down, they will. The terrorists have already won, folks. Our
nation is devolving into a police state. Our "leaders" are giving away the goodwill
and moral high ground that his country has built up over the last 200 years or so,
through policies such as ignoring or ridiculing our allies, invading soveriegn nations,
and torturing prisoners.

bssc said:
You must be able to drive to Hawaii. After all, it has Interstates.
Yep, just take the western exit for the Long Beach Tunnel.

Pay attention to the signs that say "Last gas for 2500 miles!"

Airplane pushes back, then a storm moves in that prohibits movement on the ramp.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know someone will! ;-D ...but I read somewhere that a plane is counted as departing "on time" if it pushes back from the gate at or before the appointed hour. Is that so?

The article was criticizing "on time" gaming by the airlines, who rush to "push back" on time whether there's any chance of taking off or not.

Maybe if this on-time measurement were changed to account for weather / other delays, it might alleviate some of the rush to cast off without a clear runway. Then they could LET folks back off if need be -- the engines wouldn't be fired up, the gangway (or whatever you call it) wouldn't be pulled back, etc. etc.

'Course if you do let them off you've got to herd the cats back ON again...

Glad I don't have to figure this out.

samclem said:
There's no excuse, but there's surely an explanation. As you'll appreciate, an airplane isn't a bus. It's not just a matter of opening the airstair and letting a passenger off. For example, in some instances one or more engines will need to be shut down on the port side before disembarking passengers. Shuttting down/restarting an engine is another checklist procedure. Then, you've got the problem with Mr Important's checked luggage--does he get it back? How long will that take? Or, does it go on without him? Does the airline have to buy him new suits? Oh, now it's been 2 hours and Ms Important decides she wants to get off. Back to square one.

Also, I'm fairly sure it is illegal to allow passengers to walk across the ramp when lightning is within 5 miles of the airport. Or to allow ramp crews to drive a truck out there to get them.

I don't know all the particulars about this flight, but there's no doubt that several mistakes were made. Several hundred other flights were executd withput problem. This falls into the category of "oops--well, what can we do to prevent a similar probem in the future, and how many free flight coupons should we issue"

From people that have told me there were stuck for hours... the engines were off... which caused the cabin to get hot (it was summer where they were)... and IF they were running the engines... why would they have all this extra fuel on board to idle for 11 hours and THEN fly to their destination??

and the toilets on this flight (jetblue) were already full, what were you going to do:confused: Pass around the empty water bottles and tell people use these:confused:

Caroline said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (and I know someone will! ;-D ...but I read somewhere that a plane is counted as departing "on time" if it pushes back from the gate at or before the appointed hour. Is that so?

The article was criticizing "on time" gaming by the airlines, who rush to "push back" on time whether there's any chance of taking off or not.

Maybe if this on-time measurement were changed to account for weather / other delays, it might alleviate some of the rush to cast off without a clear runway. Then they could LET folks back off if need be -- the engines wouldn't be fired up, the gangway (or whatever you call it) wouldn't be pulled back, etc. etc.

'Course if you do let them off you've got to herd the cats back ON again...

Glad I don't have to figure this out.

But you also have the arrival time to consider... so it might have 'left' on time, it does not arrive on time...

Maybe one of the pilots can tell us... I had heard that you had to 'get in line'... so if you stayed at the gate, you were not in line to take off... so you push back and wait and get number 54 or wait the 4 or 5 hours when things start to take off again and get number 132... It seems airlines choose 54 no matter what it means to their paying customers..

AND REMEMBER... if you are in the plane, you are not going to another carrier that day... if they get lucky they don't lose you.. because we 'forgive' bad service easily...

Three hours on the tarmac:confused: Two hours too long.

It is one thing if the weather is unexpected, tornado alerts come to mind. With modern weather reporting systems there is no reason to confine passengers on the tarmac.

I remember once, when I made a flight by seconds, telling the crew that I needed to pee as I entered the cabin. They said sorry I would have to wait. I waited until we were airborne 10 minutes and the pilot hadn't turned off the seat belt light. I turned on the passenger call button and told the the stew I needed to go immediately, she said no, I replied that if they didn't permit me to use the head they would need to clean the seat - her choice. I got to go. ;)

I have no compunction about getting down to the core issue. I have stared down alleged Mafia family members, and staff of a congressman. The Mafia was nicer.

Brat said:
Three hours on the tarmac:confused: Two hours too long.

It is one thing if the weather is unexpected, tornado alerts come to mind. With modern weather reporting systems there is no reason to confine passengers on the tarmac.

I remember once, when I made a flight by seconds, telling the crew that I needed to pee as I entered the cabin. They said sorry I would have to wait. I waited until we were airborne 10 minutes and the pilot hadn't turned off the seat belt light. I turned on the passenger call button and told the the stew I needed to go immediately, she said no, I replied that if they didn't permit me to use the head they would need to clean the seat - her choice. I got to go. ;)

I have no compunction about getting down to the core issue. I have stared down alleged Mafia family members, and staff of a congressman. The Mafia was nicer.

Oh man you are on my wavelength.

The real issue is how the sheeple in america have no b@lls to rise up and make a stand.

newguy888 said:
The real issue is how the sheeple in america have no b@lls to rise up and make a stand.

Aint got balls, but with old age came a good set of boobs!

Just read a post by this guy... Managed to get stuck 10 hours on one JB flight, then 6 hours on the one thereafter.

http://tinyurl.com/2544j6

Unconscionable.
They had to break into the water supply over the objections of the flight crew.
People only started getting visibly antsy when the TV went out. ::)
The guy jokes about praying to Mecca to see how quick they'd get him off the plane.. he didn't, more's the pity.. that would have been a fun experiment.

ladelfina said:
Just read a post by this guy... Managed to get stuck 10 hours on one JB flight, then 6 hours on the one thereafter.

http://tinyurl.com/2544j6

Unconscionable.
They had to break into the water supply over the objections of the flight crew.
People only started getting visibly antsy when the TV went out. ::)
The guy jokes about praying to Mecca to see how quick they'd get him off the plane.. he didn't, more's the pity.. that would have been a fun experiment.

Wow, that is inspiring. The way the term "hero" is bandied about in America
today, to hear about someone who has the courage to stick his neck out and
fight stupidity and arrogance the way this guy did is something. Thanks for sharing !

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom