Dumbest thing you ever bought ...

Our dumbest purchase: A North Shore (Pupukea) house at the peak of the Hawaii housing bubble in 1990. We were seriously considering buying the property for very little down, renting out the basement, and commuting an hour (each way) to Pearl Harbor. Of course we also needed to sell the home we'd bought the year before, even though we'd stripped the master bath down to the studs and hadn't yet rebuilt it. And we would've needed two mortgages, one of them taking back paper from the seller without him bothering to record the loan (which lien might have upset the primary lender).

The whole deal fell apart when the realtor's verbal assurances didn't translate to a written contract. Animosity & recriminations took over and we eventually forfeited our $5000 deposit. That hurt almost as much as the housing bubble popping shortly afterward. Our prospective $625K purchase (if we'd even been able to keep renting it out and paying the mortgage during the 1990s) would have appreciated today to about $2M, or roughly 6%/year. Of course it would've crashed to less than $400K first, and that appreciation would have barely paid the fuel bills for our commute. Oh, and the Navy transferred us to San Diego four years later. Keeping two renters in that property during our absence would've been a bit problematic.

The experience was well worth the tuition. We finished our master bath renovation, hunkered down around our equity with other improvements, and weathered the storm. (We also implemented Plan B of starting a family.) Today our first home has appreciated at the same ratio as the Pupukea estate, but in a much more affordable manner while we were able to keep paying the mortgage during our entire time there. And when spouse eventually found our "dream home" a decade later we had the experience, skills, & confidence to pounce on the deal.

For all those of you still holding on to your own dumbest purchases, the liquidation solution may be: Craigslist. We've bought dozens of deals from Craigslist, many of them furniture or appliances that qualified in the original owner's mind as "dumb".

As of today, without question............Nortel Stock!!!!!
FRIG!
Ouch.......:p
Add me to that club. Glad I bailed in 2006, and I think I'll be sitting out this bankruptcy analysis.

Never ceases to amaze me what these exercise equipment makers can foist on people. I found out early when I was a dirty poor grad student that the only things I needed were 200 push ups a day, a backpack full of engineer text books, a solid chair, and insane amount of motivation. I wish I have that motivation now. Now 20-40 pushups, and I'm done. :) Then again, school had other motivations for me to keep in shape.
We've bought an elliptical, a treadmill, a universal machine, a weight bench, and a set of weights from Craigslist-- all for under $250. (We spent more than that on the flooring for our storage shed.) As soon as our kid got her driver's license, she stopped using the home gym in favor of [-]picking up hot soldiers[/-] working out at the local military base. But spouse and I enjoy using our gym, and it was a great starter parent-kid home-improvement project.

200 pushups a day is about the max I'm capable of building up to. (Thanks to StrengthBuilder.com.) Next week I'm going to see if I've made any improvements on my pullups.

... and I still have a closet full of TKD sparring gear. My new place has a TKD gym literally 1 block away.
Do you see yourself ever using the gear again? What made you stop sparring? I'm asking the question because our kid is leaving the next in 576 days and without her inspiration I might find it difficult to keep reporting in for my Friday-night thrashings.

The dojang might appreciate your donation. All of our "old" pads & hogu (that our kid grew out of) have found a second life in our dojang's gear bin. We used donated gear for almost our first year of training and we were able to learn what worked for us before we bought our own.

it was one of those talking cars that announced "Your door is ajar" That phrase makes me cringe to this day.

I have a different memory of this - our daughter was about 5. The first time she heard the voice, she got a quizzical look on her face and asked, "A door is a JAR?"

200 pushups a day is about the max I'm capable of building up to. (Thanks to StrengthBuilder.com.) Next week I'm going to see if I've made any improvements on my pullups.

Where do you find the motivation? Oh, wait, you're on the beach everyday. Never mind. Good weather and a conducive environment does make a difference.

Do you see yourself ever using the gear again? What made you stop sparring? I'm asking the question because our kid is leaving the next in 576 days and without her inspiration I might find it difficult to keep reporting in for my Friday-night thrashings.

The dojang might appreciate your donation. All of our "old" pads & hogu (that our kid grew out of) have found a second life in our dojang's gear bin. We used donated gear for almost our first year of training and we were able to learn what worked for us before we bought our own.

Perhaps. The reason I stopped is that the need to the a bad mofo no longer burns as intensely after 35. :) Also, if I were to take up sparring again, it will be more complete with self defense, grappling, and floor fighting thrown in. TKD sparring is hard, but I always felt I was not getting to practice the entire fight. That or I'll join a boxing gym.

Ditto on the exercise equipment. About 15 years ago on a business trip a Nordic Track treadmill (not ski machine) was in my hotel room. Seemed for those 2 days if this monster was a non electric wizard that would last forever and be easy to get to like at home. The card in the hotel room said to call this # and get one just like it at home. I've moved this thing around, it works ok, but just doesn't seem to ever has been as attractive to use once at home vs. in the hotel room. With the advent of more modern and advanced and lower cost electric models this out of date and little used item still sits. Having it seems like a memory of $$$ spent too fast and not doing any comparison shopping at the time...value today I'm guessing is maybe $10 at a garage sale....paid more than $500 I believe. :(

A plate joiner and containers of birchwood wafers. A bit of specialized toolage that cuts slots in opposing pieces of wood which then are joined with glue and the birch wafers. not at all cheap, and i've used it maybe a couple times. Then there are the brokedown cars and trucks that seemed like they would be a good idea to fix up, but never got around to them.

Saw this cutter and the biscuits used in "This Old House". Thought it was neat!

(8) 1000w hps lights, 350 1 gal pots, and some plywood

Whatcha got?

Not much now:

'55 VW oval & IRS pan, reman trans, & dual port 1835 w/dual Kadrons and lots of bits - in the garage in pieces for the last 10? years.

The '65 Karmann Ghia convertible and the mid '50s Ford truck that never ran come to mind as losers from time past.

Back
Top Bottom