Dumping Cable But Somehow Keeping Internet...

Around here most apartments include a certain basic level of cable television in the rent, so you don't have to pay the cable company directly unless you want more.

Cox Cable told me that I will still have basic cable, until they physically turn it off. However, I would have to actually get up from my very comfortable chair this morning, walk across the room, and screw the coax back into my TV in order to see it. :LOL:

It's not worth the effort to me, since I am very happy with my over-the-air HD reception.

Last edited:
This has probably been mentioned, but I think if you cut cable TV and keep cable internet you still get some basic TV channels, i.e., local TV at no additional cost.
Around here most apartments include a certain basic level of cable television in the rent, so you don't have to pay the cable company directly unless you want more.
Even for private homes, it's often a wash: Most MSOs give a $X discount for having both television and Internet services, and not coincidentally $X is the same price they charge for regulated basic television service.

As a follow up to my original post a month ago about my outrageous cable bills: Free at last, free at last, TGA, free at last! Got a $20 increase in THIS month's bill -- on TOP of the increase that led to my post a month ago. :mad:

So I finally got off my duff and called Comcast to cancel their greedy as*. Turning in cable boxes this week. Kept "Blast' internet for about $80/mo with tax. No contract. Will dump that if I can find reliable internet that's more competitively priced. Cut my Comcast bill in half. It's Netflix and Chromecast from now on. :)

I cancelled my cable (video) last week. Since I have tivo - I had to turn in a cable card and tuning adaptor - took over 40 minutes in line at the Time Warner office to do that. Makes me dislike them even more.

As retention they offered to reduce my rate by $5/month for 6 months. I wonder how many people settle for that lame of an offer.

I cut cable almost two years ago and I don't miss it one bit.

I cancelled my cable (video) last week. Since I have tivo - I had to turn in a cable card and tuning adaptor - took over 40 minutes in line at the Time Warner office to do that. Makes me dislike them even more.

As retention they offered to reduce my rate by $5/month for 6 months. I wonder how many people settle for that lame of an offer.

Congratulations on dumping cable TV! That $5/month for 6 months is such a slight reduction that it is almost insulting. I am enjoying not having cable TV, although I will not get my newly lower bill until the end of June. They told me it would be $110 lower, but I'll believe it when I see it. If it is not significantly lower without cable TV, I'll switch my internet to U-Verse and tell Cox Cable to take a hike.

Meanwhile, it is a wonderful feeling to be out from under those high bills. Since I don't follow any sports teams, and since I don't especially like watching movies, I haven't missed cable at all. Amazingly, it seems there is ALWAYS something more fun (for me) to do in my spare time. I just hadn't been making the effort to think about it before turning on the TV.

Last edited:
As a follow up to my original post a month ago about my outrageous cable bills: Free at last, free at last, TGA, free at last! Got a $20 increase in THIS month's bill -- on TOP of the increase that led to my post a month ago. :mad:

So I finally got off my duff and called Comcast to cancel their greedy as*. Turning in cable boxes this week. Kept "Blast' internet for about $80/mo with tax. No contract. Will dump that if I can find reliable internet that's more competitively priced. Cut my Comcast bill in half. It's Netflix and Chromecast from now on. :)

Congratulations, and welcome to the happy ER Forum cable cutters! :LOL: Good decision. I am so happy that I have cut cable. I do not have Netflix (even though I could share F's subscription for free, I think), because I wouldn't use it. I think OTA is such fun and it provides everything I want. :D

Free at last, free at last, TGA, free at last!
Well said and I echo your happiness!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom