Durham, NC: Gangsta 4 Mayor

justin

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
The latest news out of Durham, NC:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/2755978p-9193558c.html

"Durham mayoral candidate Jackie Wagstaff donned bright orange Chuck Taylor shoes and large gold earrings Thursday to announce her Hip-Hop Agenda for City Hall."

Wagstaff said she would use "gangsta" culture and rap music to appeal to disaffected youth, luring them away from crime with the offer of free studio time to record songs. T-shirt giveaways would serve as another enticement.

Wagstaff said she will use her contacts, including active gang members, to help register 5,000 voters ages 18 to 21 to support her in the Oct. 11 city primary.

She survived a 2002 effort to remove her from office after pleading guilty to two misdemeanor counts for doctoring check requests from the nonprofit North East Central Durham Reinvestment Inc., a city-financed social services organization she ran. She also has been evicted several times for nonpayment of rent.

Her campaign openly refers to her "run-ins with the law" and embraces the tag that she is "too gangsta for government." She bills herself as the only candidate with the street credibility to solve the city's problems with gang violence and school dropouts.

She said she sees the potential in all children, even those now living a life of crime. "If they're out there selling drugs, then they already have some business skills," Wagstaff said. "They understand budgets. They understand profit margins. We need to help them turn these business skills to the positive."

It seems like almost every candidate for office in Durham has some sort of criminal history.

Re: Durham, NC: Gangsta candidate for Mayor

Oh that one's funny. In most places you cannot be a police officer with misdemeanor or felony convictions, but hey, you can still be mayor of a council person. Can't we ask a bit more from our city leaders? Are the pickin's that slim?

Bookm

I guess there is a fine line between politician and criminal.

I thought the definition of an honest politician is "one that stays bought"?

Yes, I'm aware that there are honest, concerned folks breaking their backs in politics trying to help society. I wish there were a lot more of them.

cheers,
Michael

That's good. Our state attorney general in Wisconsin was cited for a DWI (after going off of the road). She was sloppy drunk on wine and back pills. She didnt resign and for whatever reason, the other party hasnt worked on a recall? I suspect they figure that it will be easier to boot her out at re-election.

I was thinking it was more of a broken white line similar to the one found on a highway.  :D

Bookm

Bookm said:
Oh that one's funny. In most places you cannot be a police officer with misdemeanor or felony convictions, but hey, you can still be mayor of a council person. Can't we ask a bit more from our city leaders? Are the pickin's that slim?

Bookm

Two words: Marion Barry.

Durham is demographically similar to Washington, DC as well!

justin said:
She said she sees the potential in all children, even those now living a life of crime.  "If they're out there selling drugs, then they already have some business skills," Wagstaff said. "They understand budgets. They understand profit margins. We need to help them turn these business skills to the positive."[/i]

They will probably say no dice to this. Isn't moving away from the high margins of cocaine and heroin to anything legal an example of what Warren Buffet would call de-worsification?

Haha

As property values in NC go through the roof and the population mix changes, this sort of public official ultimately loses at the polls.

HaHa said:
They will probably say no dice to this. Isn't moving away from the high margins of cocaine and heroin to anything legal an example of what Warren Buffet would call de-worsification?

In the book Freakonomics, the authors arrive at the conclusion that many drug dealers live at home. The authors ask "If drug dealers make so much money, why are most of them still living with their moms?" From the study it appeared that, like many businesses, the line workers don't make much, but the drug lords sure do.

Back
Top Bottom