Join Early Retirement Today

DW , finally retiring
Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DW , finally retiring

As of 2 1/2 years ago I retired BUT ! DW declined . She has been so scared to retire as we say our job defines us . A year ago she retired to only return with a three day work week . She was to train her replacement and be able to move into the sunset. The only problem she works in a good old boy world and the replacement for her decided he would not do any accounting or admin work. So he never learned to go forward , then they made him a shop supervisor. Now DW has worked 27 years for this company and is paid well but she feels this is the last straw . Yesterday her would have been replacement came to her and told her he does not know how to run his reports or balance his inventory. She said she told him politely go to the DM , I am through training you . The DM came to her and explained that he did not know how to do any of this and none of the other Supervisors know how to do this. DW always was happy to do this for the guys. You see they get web training all the time but they refuse to take the courses ( DW does )
of course you see she feels she is being run over , they want her to work 55 hours a week now that her replacement has been promoted . She had did this in the past . So last night she came home and said . The day after July 4 is it . Great balls of Fire! No Notice just July 5th I quit , and I want an exit interview !
We shall see , but I think she is real this time ….
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I would quit now. That’s ridiculous!
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #3

Good for her!
gwraigty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #4

I'm concerned that if your DW doesn't walk away this time, a case could be made for Stockholm Syndrome!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:52 AM   #5

This is common in the good ole boy world . Sad but true
Old 06-26-2019, 08:54 AM   #6

She is trying to take all of her vacation and PT to avoid fighting for it .
Old 06-26-2019, 09:16 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

She should either -

A) Hold strong to July 5th (preferred) or

B) Tell them she will give them more time if they immediately raise her rate to $150/hour (in writing)

My DW quit 4 years ago but they wanted her to stay badly so she agreed to stay as a contractor for 2 days/week, unlimited time off for vacations, work from home only & $150/hr. Pretty good gig so she stayed and it stretched to 3 years before finally quitting for good this past spring. Companies will agree to this if they need you bad enough. Choose a larger number if it makes sense but don't go cheap.
Fishingmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 09:42 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

It's fun to bitch about the employer, isn't it? But, in fact, OP's DW is there by her own choosing since nothing has been mentioned about financial penalties or golden handcuffs keeping her aboard. She needs to take some responsibility, make decisions and execute. If she doesn't want to be there, she can indeed not be there whenever she wishes.

Why would anyone expect an employer to act in any manner other than their own best interests? Spineless indecision simply enables the employer's bad habits similar to loaning money to a drunk.

That's just how I see it.

Quote:
We shall see , but I think she is real this time ….
Have you suggested that perhaps some counseling sessions might help her cope with making the decision and executing?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:07 AM   #9

Obviously , you read the OP's post she volunteered to work a year to train her replacement . Now she is moving on . Why wouldn't an employer be prepared for the other side . Not training a replacement is NOT in a companies best interest . Look at ANY big companies Mission Statement and training is part of it . These are not Mom and Pop companies . Training an employee is expensive and time . Analysts review parts of mission statement at quarterly reports and training is very important. This is why companies have Corp. Auditors ( in the companies best interest for SOX )
Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Why wouldn't an employer be prepared for the other side.
Because all companies are managed by humans who generally prefer to take the path of least resistance, are typically comfortable with the status quo, and who suffer from chronic inertia, which leads them to postpone doing something until forced by circumstance.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:18 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Why is the training issue an issue for the retiring person? The issue is that she made a personal decision to stay on another year to train her replacement. The company did not make good use of her time in this regard. Now it's time for her to leave and she should without looking back or internalizing any stress over it. If she feels uncomfortable at this stage of the game, it's on her.

1. Decide to leave.
2. Leave
3. Enjoy the outcome of your decision and execution.

Deciding to fret and stress and gossip about the employer when the employee is not being forced into anything (as far as I can tell from the posts) doesn't seem very productive. Time's up. Leave. Don't look back.

Making and sticking to decisions isn't easy but sometimes ya just gotta suck it up and be responsible for your own outcome.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:43 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I would leave now or demand more money and then decide if they agree to pay up.
Your DW has the upper hand, so play it.