Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2009, 03:27 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yup, an ignored work call is an evening of turning over in my head what's the worst case that they needed to contact me.

Plus I have used my emergency cell-phone a few times to call my Boss, so the "don't give the number out" trick is out.

Thanks for the info on virgin phone, shall investigate further.

Quote:
I didn't know you were in India...
I can't grow a good moustache, so no way could I live in India.
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2009, 03:41 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiuxiu View Post
Yup, an ignored work call is an evening of turning over in my head what's the worst case that they needed to contact me.

Plus I have used my emergency cell-phone a few times to call my Boss, so the "don't give the number out" trick is out.
We are required to give our supervisors our cell phone number. The "don't give the number out" trick is not an option. I am frankly surprised that some people apparently get away with that kind of thing.

In fact, this year I am getting some serious pressure to add texting to my cell phone, for work. I don't text, don't want to text, and never turned it on. I think it costs $$ that I don't want to pay and in the discussions about it I pointed that out. The discussions stagnated after that...

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:17 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Texting is an excuse for people who really don't want to have to talk to you to be able to pester the #?!#%! out of you anyway without having to do the actual work of it. If they want to bother you, make them do the work!
virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 05:53 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
who doesn't have an always-on cell phone with them at all times
You should start a poll-- you'd be surprised.

I've been punished enough for having a cell phone during my working years, and it turns out that I don't need to care for one in my ER years either. The people I enjoy socializing with know how to reach my voicemail or e-mail. No need to be spontaneous if we can plan ahead.

I might reconsider when I can get a free transcutaneous cell phone with unlimited calling. But only if I don't have to remove it for taekwondo sparring or surfing.

I'm not sure what the lineup would do to the poor clueless kook who showed up with a cellphone and had the audacity to disturb the tranquility between wave sets. Better have a good underwater metal detector...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I was over working at our rental place and didn't have my cell on when DH fell and broke his arm about 5 weeks ago. He tried to call me to no avail and ended up asking a co-worker to take him to the ER.

Cell phone on now? You betya.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:13 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

My "cell" phone is my only phone. I do not, however, feel compelled to answer every call...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
You should start a poll-- you'd be surprised.
I was being a bit facetious

I've noticed some interesting trends though. First, as a field tech for a county government I.T. department I am required to maintain my voice and data plans on my iPhone. I am reimbursed about $60 in exchange. Second, I find my self using email on my phone more than anything else, texting comes in second, actual voice communications dead last. Third, while I have a 200 text plan (per month) younger phone owners tend to have unlimited texting plans. My brother's stepson has gone through as many as 10,000 texts in a single month! Fourth, I haven't had a traditional land line at home for years now, and that is a definite nationwide trend.

Here's another way to think about it......kids graduating from high school right now don't remember ever knowing someone who did NOT own a cell phone. They are becoming ubiquitous.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #28

Quote:
Here's another way to think about it......kids graduating from high school right now don't remember ever knowing someone who did NOT own a cell phone. They are becoming ubiquitous.
I've got a coworker who still has a really old phone on the nightstand of his guest room, and his kids call it the "cord phone."

Remember back when the different phone was cordless, not corded?
tuixiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 07:55 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

When I saw the title of this thread I thought DW had run off with a gigolo!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 08:22 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Remember back when the different phone was cordless, not corded?
Dial or push button.
Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I carry my phone turned on. I hope my friends and family will do the same. I want to be there is someone needs or wants me, and I want them to be there for me.

Of course I don't have a job, but when I did I would have been happy to have a cell phone because I didn't work for someplace that had to pay me; I had to do business to get paid. It changes your outlook.

Ha
Old 07-17-2009, 04:45 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

DON'T DO THAT! I basically don't know you but my heart stopped when I read the subject. I should have known, I am glad you were joking as usual...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #33

glad it turned out OK. I only have a company SmartPhone here in JP, but I have a prepaid for when we visit the states. The company phone is used mostly to keep up with email (you know, the un-necessary CYA emails that come from everywhere can be just as easily deleted during a taxi or train ride, as they can when getting back to the office), and it is fantastic to not have to hook up the computer (for 25 bucks a day) when in a hotel, just to keep up with email.

DW has an iPhone, but goofed and turned it on when we were travelling overseas once - with the automatic email on, and the bill for that few days was $900, even though she only turned it on to play a game (she has an unlimited plan here). Needless to say, she did not take the iphone on our recent vacation.

...but, back on topic, we always have the phone, on and charged, considering that our family is all too often spread far and wide among the continents and isles of the sea. It just contributes to peace of mind.

R
Old 07-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambler View Post
DW has an iPhone, but goofed and turned it on when we were travelling overseas once - with the automatic email on, and the bill for that few days was $900, even though she only turned it on to play a game (she has an unlimited plan here). Needless to say, she did not take the iphone on our recent vacation.
I ran into that w/ a regular AT&T Tilt phone - was using it in Mexico City for internet while the hotel internet was down. I got a call a week later from AT&T offering to temporarily, retroactively, switch me over to the international data roaming plan. Changed my bill from over $1000 to about $350.
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:43 AM   #35

While self employed when ever the phone rang either my boss, yes I still consider the person paying me a boss, would always call because he was in trouble or wanted something from me which is basically the same thing. I hated answering the phone.

Retired I rarely carry a cell phone and still cringe when it rings even though I know its family that calls. I use up about 5 % of my allotted time and forget to carry it with me. Maybe one day I'll get over it.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:16 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Although I rarely take DW for granted, it's always good to have a reminder to appreciate what you have. She feels bad about forgetting to mention the appointment.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:25 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Although I rarely take DW for granted, it's always good to have a reminder to appreciate what you have. She feels bad about forgetting to mention the appointment.
How did you know that she had not arrived at work on time?

Ha
Old 07-17-2009, 10:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm sure she does feel bad about not mentioning the appointment, but I'm sure she feels good about the concern and care you have for her.

There should be a lot more love like that all around.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
How did you know that she had not arrived at work on time?

Ha
Her coworker called and asked where she was. The "boss" knew she'd be late, but didn't come in until later.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:32 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Her coworker called and asked where she was. The "boss" knew she'd be late, but didn't come in until later.
I see. Mixups all around.

Ha