Dying top-grade Chinese rugs?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Has anyone had any experience with this: I own 2 very top of the line Chinese wool rugs that are 6' x 9' that I purchased 22 years ago for $700-800, which was alot of money at the time for this type of rug. Both rugs have been the unhappy recipients of stains that I'm not sure will ever come out (1. has coffee stains and a dog peed on it and 2. someone vomited red food on the other). Obviously, this means I probably can't sell these rugs now--even tho I've made my best attempt with my best proven stain cleaner to get the stains out. Well, it didn't work tho the stains became lighter.
Has anyone on this board ever dyed a rug like this? Any real world experience with this and advice helps. I thought I would ask the board members here before calling a rug cleaning service.

...the unhappy recipients of stains that I'm not sure will ever come out (1. has coffee stains and a dog peed on it and 2. someone vomited red food on the other)...
Can I come to one of your parties ? :cool:

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I do own a real Persian rug, and have been lucky to get stains out of it in real time. Whew!
I assuming the stains have "set", i.e. are not fresh. If you have a friend who owns a SpotBot, give that a try with some diluted Woolite (per instructions). Sometimes the brush action of the SpotBot may loosen the stain from the fibers.
Otherwise, it may boil down to calling the rug cleaners.
Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestion, Freebird. I don't mind paying a carpet cleaner to dye the rug, but does it look decent is my question. I'd hate to shell out alot of money, and end up with an ugly looking rug.

Maybe a drycleaner can actually get the stains out (?) Otherwise, I don't have any suggestions.

To me, the hassle about taking it to the drycleaner is exactly that - - a 6'x9' rug is a lot to manhandle into a vehicle and unless you have a truck or van, it might not fit in your car.

The coffee may come out, the red color with much more difficulty, and the pet pee stains will probably remain as lighter colored areas after cleaning. A pro rug cleaner will be your best bet, but doubt they can make the stains disappear. You may be able to do some selective sun bleaching by masking areas you don't want to lighten (thinking coffee and red stains) and leaving the rug in the sun for some days, checking regularly. If artistic there are water-base fabric markers (brand name Fabricmate) that don't set for 24 hours and do blend well with the other markers so you can get just the right color. Good thing with Fabricmate is the color doesn't go wonky under different lights. This takes time and care and art and you could end up with a rug that looks like a grade-schooler's project - so be advised....

There are companies that specialize in oriental rug cleaning. I'd take it to one and see what they recommend. They know all the tricks, without permanently damaging your rug.

There are companies that specialize in oriental rug cleaning. I'd take it to one and see what they recommend. They know all the tricks, without permanently damaging your rug.

+10 - before trying a bunch of stuff that could set the stains further - and tell them if you've done anything.

Back
Top Bottom