Join Early Retirement Today

Love our Turbo Como!!
Old 07-03-2020, 04:31 PM   #41
Dryer sheet wannabe

Love our Turbo Como!!

We got DW a Turbo-como 2.0 a couple years ago and love it. It is expensive but looks great, rides nice and goes over 50 miles on a charge in low-moderate assist mode. My wife is always up for a ride and I benefit from having to work harder to keep up on my standard bike. She still gets a workout but doesn’t have to worry about getting tired or intimidated by a big hill.
The ride on an e-bike can Be described as always having the wind at your back.
Dakotah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2020, 04:43 PM   #42
Dryer sheet wannabe

We just bought a pair from Electric Bike Company. Made in USA, best warranty I could find. Good components used. Were really happy with the purchase. They have a lot of Youtubes. Bolton bikes has good youtube info as well.
Bagabonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 04:45 PM   #43
Confused about dryer sheets

I have one that I bought for the same reasons as the OP. It is more of a beach cruiser type - a Tower E-Bike. Heavy duty cruiser type bike with balloon tires. Goes 30-60 miles based upon pedal assist or full bike power. I love it - no hill problems, nice comfortable ride with as much effort as I want to expend! I have had it for a while and it still puts a smile on my face every time.

The great thing about e-bikes for me is that you don't worry nearly as much how far you travel - you have the battery power there to help get you back. Good luck on your research.
jgriffter is offline   Reply With Quote
Local Bike Club Likes Specialized E-Bikes
Old 07-03-2020, 05:11 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

Local Bike Club Likes Specialized E-Bikes

I haven’t ridden any e-bikes but several of our local bike club have had good experiences with the Specialized brand that our local bike shop sells.

Don
ddoorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:17 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

go big:

https://www.ebikecentral.net/2019/12...-hs-with-kiox/
bloom2708 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:44 PM   #46
gone traveling

I have built several mainly to see how far and fast I could get an electrical to be with the parts available... got one that goes to 60mph... fun bike but not for the faint ....

Bought a couple e bikes pre built for myself and the wife... the sondors... good value and pretty well built for the price... and the batteries are cheaper too...

https://shop.sondors.com/pages/mxs
dixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 05:55 AM   #47
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My wife rode an E-bike on a biking vacation in Belgium before the virus hit. She liked it but I just can't bring myself to ride one. Too many decades on conventional bikes and recumbent trikes. They would be a nice luxury for occasional use if I lived in a place with lots of hills but pretty useless in a flat state like Florida especially when you live at the beach. The fun part for me about riding a bicycle is being in total control and relying on my own power. To me a bicycle is a beautiful blend of art and mechanics in a human powered vehicle.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:04 AM   #48
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagabonz View Post
We just bought a pair from Electric Bike Company. Made in USA, best warranty I could find. Good components used. Were really happy with the purchase. They have a lot of Youtubes. Bolton bikes has good youtube info as well.
I agree 100% with you. But, after looking at EB company, I chose to convert my own bikes. Better faster and less money. I used a cycle shop call LUNA Cycles. BafangUSA has similar stuff, but i felt there batteries were sub par, whereas LUNAs are TOP of the line. My kit was $650 and the battery was $550. Bafang middrives are very good. Our bikes are 1000 watts, peak at 1500 in unlocked hot rod mode. I can do over 40 mph and go over 70 miles in pedal assist 1 or 2. I have never got to the end of the battery.

It was an easy build. It took me about 4 hours each bike. You pull off the pedals and the crank. The motor fits right in.
bigadventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

Just a warning Trek and Boush drive are locked with proprietary softwear.
Old 07-04-2020, 07:13 AM   #50
Dryer sheet aficionado

Specialized and Pedgo are also software locked
Old 07-04-2020, 10:01 AM   #51

I am a hard core bicyclist for 50 years and I used to commute 20 miles one way to work which means I spend about 4 hours a day bicycling on my Raleigh C200 Hybird which cost around $600. I did buy a cheap E-bike from WalMart for about the same price so here are my E-bike comments:

1. Be careful about buying cheap E-bikes because you can expect lower quality components: Brakes, derailers, pedals, seat.
2. More maintenance is involved due to the increased complexity.
3. Battery does not last forever. Make sure you can buy a replacement battery.
4. There is a feeling for euphoria when you twist the throttle and the bike goes without pedeling. Hills are no longer an issue.
5. E-bikes are HEAVY. I suggest getting the lightest bike available at similar price.
6. If you do not intend to go very far, I recommend the Totem C260 because it is only 44 lbs, foldable, disc brakes, decent components, lithium battery and reasonably price at $729.

https://www.totemusa.com/product-pag...ectric-bicycle

The main drawback is that it is a 20 inch wheel bicycle to reduce weight. This means you will not win any bicycle races. However the range is 12 miles without pedaling and 75 miles with pedaling...which I find that hard to believe. Totem sells a replacement battery for $159. Other brands, there is a risk that a replacement battery may not be available. I did a lot of research as a hard core bicyclist....and I decided that this will be my next bicycle after I retire my Raleigh C200. I am still using the C200 daily at age 69. When I am in my 70's, I will be riding an E-bike so I can continue to exercise and maintain my fitness.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 11:20 AM   #52
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
........ Too many decades on conventional bikes and recumbent trikes. They would be a nice luxury for occasional use if I lived in a place with lots of hills but pretty useless in a flat state like Florida especially when you live at the beach. The fun part for me about riding a bicycle is being in total control and relying on my own power. To me a bicycle is a beautiful blend of art and mechanics in a human powered vehicle.

As it is, the uphill is the best part of the ride, the harder the better up to my fitness limits.
When the time comes for an e-bike, I will pay for technology that makes the transition as seamless as possible.
Oh, and I will need a few accessories ......powered running shoes, X-country skis, hiking poles etc......
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:32 AM   #53
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
So, do you guys who use an ebike feel like it's still good exercise? When I go for a bike ride if I avoided all the hills it wouldn't feel like much of a work out. If it wasn't for the workout I doubt I would just go for a bike ride on the same routes I've been on 100's of times. I could see the benefit of an ebike if the bike was used as a commuter or I did a lot of tour traveling but for use for bike rides around home not so sure, I think it might quickly turn into a dust collector.

Yes, great exercise, depending on how you use it. I was on a high end full-suspension mountain bike but also bought an e-bike version (Specialized Turbo Levo - crank based motor - pedal assist - ~$6k). I sold my regular bike after a few months of having the e-bike. I ride intermediate to advanced trails and now have the ability to climb trails that I never could. I can now ride farther, higher and faster than I could on a regular mountain bike so I still get good workouts. In my case it's opened up new trails for me and allowed me to ride further into and out of areas I previously could not do under my own power alone.
Planner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 08:58 AM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

E-bikes are awesome. I built a 56 volt rear hub motor system for our tandem 10 years ago. Used 28 volt Millwaukie tools batteries wired in series. Worked excellent.
Lol, after 2 years of riding, the torque from so much voltage caused the spokes to split the rim. My lesson learned from that experiment, don't use an aluminum rim for high torque motors.

If I did it again, I'd buy an e-bike with motor integrated into the crankset. The energy being used through the gear set would be much more efficient. I test rode the treck e-bike with the bouch crankset motor, and seemed to be a perfect combination. Trek would be my next e-bike
Old 07-05-2020, 09:13 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
So, do you guys who use an ebike feel like it's still good exercise? When I go for a bike ride if I avoided all the hills it wouldn't feel like much of a work out. If it wasn't for the workout I doubt I would just go for a bike ride on the same routes I've been on 100's of times. I could see the benefit of an ebike if the bike was used as a commuter or I did a lot of tour traveling but for use for bike rides around home not so sure, I think it might quickly turn into a dust collector.
I had both a regular bike and E-bike at one time. I ended selling my E-bike because I needed the exercise. However, I will be 70 next year so I intend to sell my regular bike and buy a new E-bike so that I can continue to exercise to maintain my fitness until about 85.

One important point: Do not under-estimate the fun factor of an E-bike.

I do agree with you that hills are where you get a workout. However, when I had my E-bike, I would use the electric motor to accelerate faster from a stop light that turns green. Using a regular bike, you accelerate slower.

A slow acceleration may become a safety issue due to traffic. There are other traffic situations that faster acceleration is needed and an E-bike provides that and it really compliments your pedaling. Trust me.... as you get older, your acceleration on a regular bike will get slower.
2177V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 05:16 AM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Ordered a Specialized Como 3 from a bike dealer. It'll be here in 1-2 weeks. Can't wait. I'll report in with a review after I get familiar with it.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

I am very interested in what you determine. I am interested in either the Trek or Specialized. Steep hills are my problem. I really like biking on the Katy Trail but it requires serious hills to get home.
molly312 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:38 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Rode the new Specialized Como 3 bike 14 miles yesterday in high winds. It has 9 speeds and 3 pedal assist settings. I usually had the bike in gear 5 or 6 with the lowest pedal assist motor setting. I ramped it up to the middle pedal assist setting when going into 20 mph headwinds. Speed was averaging 16-18 mph with mostly light pedaling even uphill or against the wind. Went up a couple of minor hills with no problem, once in high pedal assist and going 20+ mph. Used 24% battery in 50 minutes. Probably had it in middle pedal assist most of the time due to the wind. I suspect it will get 4 hours of battery life per charge at low and medium pedal assist levels.

Went home and put it on charge. Don’t know how long it took to charge to 100%.

Today no wind, went out for a few miles with DW at about 8 mph. Kept the bike in low pedal assist and I barely pedaled. Just cruised along. Went for a few miles. Used 2% of the battery.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4A4CFA56-392A-4668-AB23-51A7CC802269.jpg (970.8 KB, 20 views)
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote