E Go Cordless Lawncare Equipment

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I’m in need of an edger, a string trimmer and a leaf blower, and I don’t want gas or corded, so I am looking at the E Go line for all three. Evidently they are (way) more powerful than previous models (all brands) or cheap lower voltage power tools, but E Go products are quite a bit more expensive largely due to the batteries and chargers themselves. I have an old cheapo Black & Decker string trimmer and hedge trimmer, but I’d like something better.

Any of you have personal experience with E Go trimmer, edger and/or blower? Worth the premium?

If it matters, this is what in considering:
https://egopowerplus.com/multi-head-edger-stringtrimmer-combo/
https://egopowerplus.com/blower-480cfm/

Last edited:
I have a trimmer, 15", and a 480 cfm blower. Both are awesome, I'd upgrade to the 580 blower as it's lighter.

I was skeptical about the power, boy was I surprised. I don't do a huge area, lot is only .4 acre and I never use half of one battery. It easily cuts through heavy thistle with .095 line. Look around seems like I've seen bare models without batteries and chargers.

ETA: Hadn't seen your update.

Last edited:
I have the Ryobi 18v line. It does very well so you can use that as your baseline. The trimmer and edger do what I need. Trimmer cuts about anything a typical suburban home owner needs. The edger works well too. Neither of them would do well in a fully overgrown lot but they would manage. I suspect the EGO would do quite well with the 56 volts. However, the Ryobi is $300 less. I doubt you’ll get that much difference for the money.

The blower is a different matter. The Ryobi blower (18v) is fine for cleaning up after mowing, but it’s nothing like my gas powered Stihl blower when it comes to fall clean up (leaves). Here though, the EGO is only $100 more (the 530). I think that would be worth it if you’re going to do anything more than blowing grass off your sidewalk/driveway after mowing. The specs look close to my gas powered Stihl.

Of course then the dilemma is having more than one style of battery. You don’t want that. I’d put this in the category of, if you can afford it, step up to the better equipment. It really won’t be that bad over the life of the product. I’m sure you’d be happier with the EGO than the Ryobi. However, if money is a significant consideration, you will be able to get by with the Ryobi One+ system if you have an average driveway/sidewalk setup and no major leaf work in the fall.

Last edited:
I just bought a cordless Kobalt blower from Lowes. It's very powerful with a 40V battery and a bit expensive but very convenient. I can easily blow out the house gutters with it.

Here is a picture:
capture-3.png

The Lowes website has some reviews.

Warning: Peeve alert

When are they going to quit using the battery voltage as some sort of indicator of the power of the devices? They should be using watts. An 18V tool that uses 200 watts is more powerful than a 50V tool that uses 180 watts (if they are the same efficiency).

Volts is only useful in judging these things in a very indirect way (for the same wattage, the wires can be smaller if the voltage is higher, so if you are designing a high wattage tool from scratch you'd prefer to use a higher voltage battery to save some money on copper, make the motor physically smaller, etc).

The voltage used by these tools is proudly proclaimed in huge stickers plastered all over it. You have to look at the tiny label hidden somewhere obscure to find the amperage or wattage (=voltage x amperage).

Last edited:

When are they going to quit using the battery voltage as some sort of indicator of the power of the devices? They should be using watts. An 18V tool that uses 200 watts is more powerful than a 50V tool that uses 180 watts (if they are the same efficiency).

Volts is only useful in judging these things in a very indirect way (for the same wattage, the wires can be smaller if the voltage is higher, so if you are designing a high wattage tool from scratch you'd prefer to use a higher voltage battery to save some money on copper, make the motor physically smaller, etc).
The voltage used by these tools is proudly proclaimed in huge stickers plastered all over it, you have to look at the tiny label hidden somewhere obscure to find the amperage or wattage (=voltage x amperage).

You are probably right. I'm a retired EE but I've ignored your post because it is kind of ... a peeve. Sorry. :) :greetings10:

The voltage used by these tools is proudly proclaimed in huge stickers plastered all over it. You have to look at the tiny label hidden somewhere obscure to find the amperage or wattage (=voltage x amperage).

Probably about the same time people will stop referring to recording video on their smartphones as "filming" or "taping".

Now pass me the Kleenex. ;)

I've got the E Go 56v blower and yes, I would buy it again. No more small gas engines for me, hate my corded blower too

I'm sure EGO is a fine brand, but I would have a hard time paying a lot more for it. Kobalt and Ryobi are good too at a better price. I have a small yard(less than 2k sq ft) and own Sun Joe products. I'm well into my 3rd year with them(cordless mower, trimmer, blower) and they are all working just fine. All the batteries still hold a charge as if new. I doubt my yard would look better using pricer equipment. Longevity.....time will tell the tale.

I recently went "all in" with the Ego. Bought the mower, leaf blower, and edger. They are the best electric lawn care devices I have ever had, and I've had quite a few, corded and cordless.

I would definitely buy all three again.

I have the mower and edger and would buy them again over gas versions.

You convinced me. I just ordered an EGo 480cfm lawn blower and a Powerhead with a Multi-Head trimmer and edger, 5.0 AH battery, standard charger and strap. Looking forward to it. You only live once.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Last edited:
I have the EGO string trimmer and one of the early model blowers.

The trimmer will do everything I need to do around our 1+ acre yard on a single battery. It has at least as much power as my old gas trimmer, and a wider cut.

The blower usually goes through two batteries for my routine cleanup (sidewalks and a little in the driveway). If I need to clear our entire 300+ foot driveway, I go through two batteries, wait for them to recharge, then finish the job later. I have two batteries and chargers that came with each machine.

Overall I have been very happy with them. It's awesome to just pop in a battery and go without fussing with gas, oil, or struggling to get an engine started.

I've considered upgrading to one of EGO's newer more powerful blowers, but so far the early one I have works just fine.

I'd say that rises well above a 'peeve'.

It's about giving the consumer good information. As you say, it is watts that matter, and then output HP to account for efficiency. From a marketing standpoint, there is no push for a company to use a high efficiency motor, if all people are responding to is "volts".

Same with AH rating of batteries. It should be watt-hours to compare batteries of different voltages on the basis of power.

It's like telling the customer the size of the gas tank, rather than the mpg of the car. It's all very silly, and not good for the consumer. Some industry group should get on this and create some standards.

-ERD50

Any of you have personal experience with E Go trimmer, edger and/or blower? Worth the premium?

I

yes, I've used both for about the last 5 years - love them

for the trimmer, you will need to put in heavier line, then it will trim anything; the stock green line is too thin

five stars!

You convinced me. I just ordered an EGo 480cfm lawn blower and a Powerhead with a Multi-Head trimmer and edger, 5.0 AH battery, standard charger and strap. Looking forward to it. You only live once.

Thanks for your thoughts!

don't forget to change the line in the trimmer

I just bought a cordless Kobalt blower from Lowes. It's very powerful with a 40V battery and a bit expensive but very convenient. I can easily blow out the house gutters with it.

Here is a picture:
capture-3.png

The Lowes website has some reviews.

I have the same blower. I also have a Kobalt pole saw, and bush trimmer. All of them work good enough for me AND I don't have to keep helping my wife start them every time she sets one of them down.

I always assumed they used higher & higher voltage batteries for lower current (cheaper wiring costs) for a target power level.

Don't have EGO, but we have Greenworks, mower, trimmer, hedge trimmer, blower.

Starting the 4th year, on all pieces.

Our yard is a tad over 15K-- porbably about 9-10K after we subtract house, garage, drive and gazebo. Plenty of power, plenty of run time, easy/quick recharge.

There is NO reason for most homeowners of typical suburban/urban size lots to use gas anymore!

We have converted a couple of houses on our street/block.

There is NO reason for most homeowners of typical suburban/urban size lots to use gas anymore!

We have converted a couple of houses on our street/block.

i'm still not convinced that electric mowers are worth a ****

I have about an acre so I use a 30" riding mower anyway but still - I'm a bit skeptical on the electric mower thing

also, while I suppose it's theoretically possible to convert an ego trimmer to a brush cutter - I ended up getting a ryobi gas brush cutter for my 8" carbide blade

i'm still not convinced that electric mowers are worth a ****

I have about an acre so I use a 30" riding mower anyway but still - I'm a bit skeptical on the electric mower thing

also, while I suppose it's theoretically possible to convert an ego trimmer to a brush cutter - I ended up getting a ryobi gas brush cutter for my 8" carbide blade
I didn't see anyone claim battery powered mowers like the EGo are ideal for a 1 acre lot.

Our lot is 0.26 acres less 0.07 acres of house and concrete drive and sidewalks on it - I am guessing the EGo trimmer, edger and blower will be overkill for my use.

And though some people have already converted EGo trimmers to brush cutters, they already sell dedicated brush cutters and Powerhead brush cutters attachments in the UK. I assume they'll sell them in the USA soon enough, and I will buy one when they do. Looking forward to one sizeable battery and a rapid charger and no longer dragging around cords or fooling with a small gas engine.

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/line-trimmers-brush-cutters/bc3800e-38cm-brush-cutter

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/multi-tool/BCA1200-multi-tool-brush-cutter

EGBC3800.jpg

Last edited:
I didn't see anyone claim battery powered mowers like the EGo are ideal for a 1 acre lot.

Our lot is 0.26 acres less 0.07 acres of house and concrete drive and sidewalks on it - I am guessing the EGo trimmer, edger and blower will be overkill for my use.

And though some people have already converted EGo trimmers to brush cutters, they already sell dedicated brush cutters and Powerhead brush cutters attachments in the UK. I assume they'll sell them in the USA soon enough, and I will buy one.

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/line-trimmers-brush-cutters/bc3800e-38cm-brush-cutter

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/multi-tool/BCA1200-multi-tool-brush-cutter

EGBC3800.jpg

I'm still skeptical that they would cut a quarter acre - although I'm tickled to death with the ego blower and trimmer

I think my ego trimmer is too old to convert to a brush cutter - I bought a blade and a stihl conversion kit off of amazon and it didn't fit.

. Looking forward to one sizeable battery and a rapid charger and no longer dragging around cords or fooling with a small gas engine.

it is pretty awesome - I use my blower about every day. I think they had just released the product when I bought them - 5 years ago maybe so I got a battery and a charger with each one.

I've not used E Go tools, but I can say that my 40 volt Ryobi string trimmer is comparable to the Troy-Bilt gas trimmer I used the previous year. Depending on the size of your lot and the total amount of trimming to be done, you may want a second battery so you don't have to wait for the battery to recharge (about an hour) - although you might consider that the break a mature adult needs when working outside in the heat ;-)

We've had an E Go string trimmer and blower for almost three years. Love them compared to our gas models. String trimmer abruptly quit working last year. Called E Go and they said "take it to Home Depot for repair." I did and they did. Kudos for great customer service.

Back
Top Bottom