Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Easy way for Windows 10 upgrade
Old 12-19-2015, 10:16 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Easy way for Windows 10 upgrade

I had tried many times to upgrade to windows 10 and it consistently failed.
It was so bad I figured I just turn that netbook into another Linux machine.

Finally I figured out the answer:

From a windows machine (not linux) go to https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

• download the the media creation tool. (won't show for linux machines)
  • save it to your drive where you know it will be.
The next step is important.
You have to be admin (running tool as administrator will not work).
  • What I did was change my login to admin (control panel -> change users ->change type). Or possibly you could just login as admin but I did not do this.
  • Restart the computer and login as yourself (now that you are admin, or try admin login).
  • Plug in a USB drive with 4 gigs or more (it will erase anything on the drive.
  • Find the file you downloaded and run it (no need to run as administrator as you are admin).
  • Then follow the instructions, you should already know if your computer (Start -> computer -> properties) is 32 or 64 bit as that is what you need.

It will create a bootable install disk or usb for you.

When it's finished,
  1. you simply start up any computer you want to upgrade,
  2. insert the usb stick,
  3. browse to it and find the file start.exe
  4. and run it.
  5. Then follow instructions.
I've used it on a windows 7 Starter netbook, and a Windows 8.1 tablet.

Once it is installed it will ask you configuration questions like default applications, on the left side is a tiny link allowing you to customize your choices, good if you like privacy.

You can use this for upgrade or fresh install (with your product key), I only used it for upgrade as I wanted to keep my files.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Tags
windows 10 upgrade