Join Early Retirement Today

Eat Much Fish?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Eat Much Fish?

I do not eat a lot of fish. I suppose that I should pick up some salmon the next time that I go to the market...if I can remember to do so.

Quote:
Investigators found that elderly men and women who more frequently ate fish scored better on memory, visual conception, spatial motor skills, attention, orientation, and verbal fluency tests.
Eating fish may reduce ‘senior moments’ - Aging - MSNBC.com

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2007, 11:31 AM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd;581134
[URL="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21921009/"
Eating fish may reduce ‘senior moments’ - Aging - MSNBC.com[/URL]
I am not sure about that-I eat way more than the ususal amount of fish, and I haven't noticed any superior resistance to aging.

I have enjoyed eating some outstanding fish though.

Ha
Old 11-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Need all the help I can find in the deep blue sea...
Ate Orange Roughy...Cod and Salmon(twice) this week..also taking my fish oil pills...starting to grow fins
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Walleye has been shown to be the perfect food........both in the chasing and in the eating!

"UpNort" food gathering is good for my sole soul!
Old 11-23-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd View Post
I do not eat a lot of fish. I suppose that I should pick up some salmon the next time that I go to the market...if I can remember to do so.
I eat a LOT of fish, probably due to growing up in Hawaii where fresh fish is so plentiful. What can I say - - I love fish!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 01:55 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

Sardines, mmmmm good.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2007, 03:49 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I am not sure about that-I eat way more than the ususal amount of fish, and I haven't noticed any superior resistance to aging.

I have enjoyed eating some outstanding fish though.

Ha
One of the great benefits of living in The Emerald City!

Wish I were there.

Cheers, Ha.

Gypsy
Old 11-23-2007, 08:52 PM   #8

I love to catch them and I love to eat them too! We never go out to eat beef but will always choose seafood. It helps to live near the gulf where fresh fish is always available.
In fact I will be cooking speckled trout, oysters and soft-shelled crab this Saturday night. Boy, I'm hungry already.
dessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 01:52 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to eat tuna on a daily basis but got a little concerned about the amount of mercury I was ingesting. Now I alternate between tuna and salmon for lunch.

I meet alot of people through work and have been complimented a number of times about my memory and what I can recall about people. So, maybe it does help with memory.

Then again, I just turned 29 so I suppose I shouldn't expect to have any "senior moments."
Eyerishgold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 02:06 PM   #10

i eat fish only every so often. mostly just salmon, some snapper, maybe mahi mahi, and tuna though i've got moral problems with eating tuna (as they are sort of warm blooded fish & their capture can lead to harming dolphins on porpoise). to supplement my not eating of fish i take omega 3 capsules daily.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 08:05 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I am a fishmonger's son, and I feel vaguely guilty that I just simply do not have the time to go fishing very often (although I look forward to the time when I can take my kids fishing). We eat fish fairly often (couple times a week, sometimes more). The biggest problem I have is that many/most places that sell fresh fish simply do not live up to my standards. If it ain't fresh, I will not touch it.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 09:58 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

An old buddy of mine is of Norwegian birth. He said they were very poor in Norway and could only eat fish. After they came to the 'States, he would not eat fish anymore. Steak man.
Old 11-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
An old buddy of mine is of Norwegian birth. He said they were very poor in Norway and could only eat fish. After they came to the 'States, he would not eat fish anymore. Steak man.
There is a very interesting movie, Pelle The Conquerer, that also illustrates what Ed said. The farm hands at a big farm in Denmark as I remember are getting ready for Christmas. They have worked hard all year, and they really are looking forward to some roast pig. When they get fish instead there is almost a mutiny.

Sure is different now, isn't it? I can buy excellent pork for under$5/#. But even if I go over to Fishermen's Terminal I pay at least $10 for fresh halibut. Nice flash frozen albacore is usually the best buy, but I guess that is one of the fish that you are supposed to go easy on.

Like Brewer, I've had too much good fish to accept junk, but luckily good is usually easy to find. I was talking to one of my local brokers who goes fishing in Alaska every summer. He said the biggest halibut he ever caught up there was 120#, but also said that the smaller ones around 40# are sweeter. He also caught a 58# king salmon on a fly. One thing for sure, no matter where you are you cannot buy a fish as good as one you catch, kill and eat quickly.

ha
Old 11-24-2007, 10:45 PM   #14

I am in Seattle and we like to catch fish. Both of us grew up eating fresh caught fish and don't eat fish that we didn't catch except canned tuna and live crab or live lobster sometimes we will buy live oysters or frozen king crab but mostly eat what we get ourselves.
The freezer is filled with humpy salmon now and we will get some squid next month. I have grown tired of fish so only eat a little crab and some sockeye salmon or trout. I don't like humpies except I might eat some smoked. I only like sockeye or kings caught in salt water not kings from the rivers. We also like walleye but only get them if we go to eastern WA. We like sable fish and halibut but only get them if we go to Westport.
old woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007, 10:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
We like sable fish and halibut but only get them if we go to Westport.
Sable fish is tops!

Ha
Old 11-24-2007, 10:55 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Sable fish is tops!

Ha
Whatdaya catch those on? Jig and minnow? Crank bait?
Old 11-26-2007, 11:58 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Walleyes...........mmmmmmmm..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #18

We eat quite a bit of fish. We have salmon/yellowtail sashimi almost weekly and have grilled salmon once or twice a week. DW cut out the sashimi completely when she was pregnant and this past weekend was the first time she had some in 8 months. Needless to say, she gorged on it! I'm 33 and I can't remember a thing, so it doesn't seem to have helped me!
WanderALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2007, 06:55 PM   #19

Growing up in the south, not too far from the coast, and being a life-long fisherman, I do of course eat fish and always have. Unfortunately most of the time it's fried. Either we go out to eat fish or I catch it and cook it at home. The biggest exception to fried is that I do eat a fair amount of tuna. As for the varieties of fish, here's the list: Freshwater - Crappie, Black Bass, Bream, Catfish Saltwater - Flounder, Redfish, Speckled Trout, Grouper, Amberjack, Swordfish, Salmon, Tuna A few of the species above are better suited to grilling or baking, but I probably eat fried fish about 6 to 1 over other styles.

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote