Join Early Retirement Today

Eating Food Just Because "It's Paid For"
Old 11-17-2014, 04:15 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eating Food Just Because "It's Paid For"

I read an essay, probably in The New Yorker, by a woman whose elderly parents moved into a CCRC where daily communal dinner was included in the price. Even though they had their own kitchen, shopped for groceries, were physically able to cook for themselves, didn't enjoy communal dining - and above all, didn't like the bland, buttery food that was served - they dutifully ate it night after night because they were paying for it. The author attributed this to her parents being lifelong thrifty New Englanders.

I just wondered if anyone here would eat food they didn't particularly care for, even if other options existed, simply because the food was free or "paid for."

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Did somebody just say all you can eat buffet?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In lieu of cooking, I might go down to the already-paid-for dinner and pick at what I wanted to eat...just like in the college cafeteria of yore. Maybe the parents like the socialization more with other residents than they are willing to admit, too. I think it if you choose to move to a residential community, it is good to mingle a bit and meet other folks.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:28 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I would take the free food. I do contract work and when i'm on a job I get free food every day. I'm usually on the job site for 2-3 weeks straight(24 hrs/day) and never have to go buy groceries or make my own food. I almost am sad when I have to go back home. I always take free food. If someone wants to make the food for me too, that's even better.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:30 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I clean my plate at home. Waste not... Now in an all you can stomach buffet, if something is just not good I'll eat the substantial part (say, the chicken in a pot pie) and hunt for something better.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

I would take the free food up to a point. We normally take the free breakfasts at inexpensive hotels for a few days before going out for a breakfast that we have to pay for.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:35 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

We usually like the free breakfasts. It's hard to ruin cereal, scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc.! We also had excellent free buffets at an "extended stay" hotel when we were about to go overseas, and felt sad like Aaron does when we had to leave it all behind But that was good food, not bland buttery pablum.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I would take the free food up to a point. We normally take the free breakfasts at inexpensive hotels for a few days before going out for a breakfast that we have to pay for.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

You say buttery like it is a bad thing.
I worry about not liking the food in a CC restaurant if they have to restrict salt/fat/red meat for the majority.
But yes I can see going out for the meal since it is a big part of my monthly costs. I am cheap that way. and I'm not that good a cook.
lemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 04:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Even though they had their own kitchen, shopped for groceries, were physically able to cook for themselves, didn't enjoy communal dining - and above all, didn't like the bland, buttery food that was served - they dutifully ate it night after night because they were paying for it. The author attributed this to her parents being lifelong thrifty New Englanders.

I just wondered if anyone here would eat food they didn't particularly care for, even if other options existed, simply because the food was free or "paid for."
If I didn't like it I probably wouldn't eat it very often unless I was lazy and didn't feel like cooking or going somewhere that served food that was actually good.

For some reason Golden Corral comes to mind as being similar to the retirement community's dining room. The food is never great, but there's usually something that's edible (if just barely). Not a place I would really want to go to even if someone else is paying, but I'll eat there on the rare occasions when duty requires it (family requests mainly). I'll eat just enough to not be hungry and not pig out like at good buffets.

I love buffets, but only when the food is good. Lots of bad food doesn't make it taste better.

So assuming I could afford to buy my own groceries and had the strength to do so and cook my own meals, I'd probably do that instead of visiting the mediocre dining room even if it was free.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #10

A wheel-chair bound, mentally and physically disabled cousin of mine lives in a personal care home where the residents are undoubtedly more impaired than most folks in a CCRC community. I see the menus and they get things like choice of oatmeal, eggs, French toast, fruit for breakfast. For lunch it is almost always soup, sandwich, jello, maybe fruit cocktail. Dinner varies and includes things like spaghetti with meat sauce, baked chicken, ham slice, assorted vegetables, salad, cheesecake, applesauce, etc. Beverages are coffee, tea, milk, juices. I know they will make pureed foods for residents who can't eat the regular menu, too. On holidays they have barbecues for the residents and they celebrate birthdays with cake and ice cream.
WhoDaresWins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:06 PM   #11

I would probably take the free food. I guess it would depend on what was being served but free would count for a lot.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
and above all, didn't like the bland,
How in the world does one make buttery food bland? They must be awful cooks.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:22 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I am sure we would eat the meals that were already paid for.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:35 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I am sure we would eat the meals that were already paid for.
+1. Breakfast included at a hotel would be good example for us, it's unlikely we'd pass and pay for another breakfast somewhere else. But if something I've paid for tastes awful, whether included in some package or even at a restaurant, I won't eat it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:50 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We usually like the free breakfasts. It's hard to ruin cereal, scrambled eggs, yogurt, etc.!
Wanna bet? Yogurt flavored with high fructose corn syrup. Hockey-puck "scrambled eggs" made from powdered. Too-sweet flavored oatmeal packets. Canned fruit cocktail. "Bagels" that are hard rolls with a hole in the middle. I always hope for bananas, hard-boiled eggs and plain oatmeal which I can sweeten to my taste.

I know I sound picky but I love good food (defined as good quality basic ingredients with little processing). I eat the other stuff only if I'm starving.

So no, I wouldn't eat food "just because it's paid for" and if the food at a retirement community were that bad I'd make sure everything else was exactly what I wanted or go elsewhere. I avoid buffets, too. They're either cheap with greasy, starchy food or so high-priced that they make a huge profit on me because i'm not an overeater.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #16

Quote:
a college meal plan comes to mind, students usually didn't go on food stamps in those days
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #17

Nope, I wouldn't eat food I didn't like for dinner or any other meal. If I buy food and don't like the taste I'll first try to give it to someone else before throwing out. If I'm dining out and don't like the meal I'd return it and ask that it be removed from my bill. That only happened once.....too much pepper. My sister on the other hand will eat anything. I've heard her comment that she doesn't like the taste of something she bought but is sitting there eating it. Sorry, a sour tasting or dry fruit, an egg that's not cooked completely, UGH I remember being at someone's house for dinner, just spaghetti, and the pasta wasn't cooked. Ever bite into hard pasta. Yuck! I ate salad, meatballs and bread. There were "looks" exchanged but no one said anything.
splitwdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:14 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I love good food too but if I am buying something that includes meals, I am either picking a place that offers good if simple food, or I am picking a place that has a price that does not include meals. No way am I paying twice. The daughter in OP's article and her parents should be raising hell if the food is that bad, or going to another facility.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:24 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I am 71. I still have memories of age 18 summer work in a logging camp. I ate until sitting awhile was required before getting up from the table. Didn't gain a pound all summer.

Thursday was all you could eat steak night.

heh heh heh - even the nominal deduct from the paycheck didn't cover the camp operation. I think it was the last one in that part of SW Washington.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:37 PM   #20
Gone but not forgotten

My Mom lives in an independent facility and complains about the food . I really think it is what all the residents do since she fessed up and told me they will make you alternate dishes if you do not like the food and that the food is not that bad. She absolutely enjoys the social aspect and as for her kitchen it makes a camper kitchen look luxurious. Just cooking toast in that kitchen is a chore .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ccrc, food, frugal, thrifty