Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeb-NY View Post
I also don't make an effort to find items to sell. If I find a deal in my normal trips to junk shops and book sales I buy them but I don't go out of my way. I tried a couple of times to do early trips to book sales and the people trying to make a living on eBay are vicious with their scanners and other devices to cherry pick and grabbing everything that looks good and sitting in a corner sorting and putting things back where they don't belong. I quickly decided that would take all the fun out of selling.
I haven’t seen anything like that yet and hope not to get addicted to the game. But yesterday when I went to the bookstore “free” boxes--twice, it was like a social event. One lady was saying that a book she found might make a nice gift for her friend; of course she would tell her where she got it. Another said she just came from a bookstore which is going out of business, sad. Then said to me, “look here’s one for you, ‘Sexual Addicts Anonymous.'” I laughed, “it wouldn’t be anonymous.” It looks like a new book/pristine dust jacket with resale value; I put it in my bag when the ladies weren’t looking and listed it at $9.99.

Ditto to what Moe says about fiction. I pass over page-turners, old best sellers, romance novels, that kind of thing. I grab the kind of literature and plays that may be required college reading. But it doesn’t hurt to list things. Several times recently, I’ve said to SO, “I don’t believe that one sold, people will buy anything.”

Yesterday, I picked up several free items I might want to glance at myself; was surprised that one of them has a nice resale value, if you list it for less than $60.00, Amazon will mark it as “low price item.” One book I bought for about $4 thru Amazon, is now listed at $12.00 because it is signed by the author and Amazon won’t list it for less. I know it won’t sell, so on the next round, I won’t mention it’s signed.

Midpack, half.com sounds like the same system.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2009, 11:40 AM   #22
Gone but not forgotten

I have not had great luck with half .com . My books sit there forever whereas on Amazon they usually sell in a day or two .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

I rarely buy books anymore as Nords convinced me that the public library was wonderful. What I used to do with my used books was to give them to the libary. They either sell them at a book sale or if they are new and hot actually lend them out. I would then take the tax deduction for as high a value as I could justify.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:25 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
I rarely buy books anymore as Nords convinced me that the public library was wonderful.
I always go library first. I have 2 fairly large library systems- Seattle, and King County. Still there are many books that can't be found in either. At times I have tried inter-library loan, but it is very frustrating as the delay is often long and the borrowing periods short. So I continue to buy quite a few books.

Ha
Old 01-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
So I continue to buy quite a few books.
Ha
Hey--you want books and I have books . . . send some money and I'll send you a box of them.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:41 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I always go library first. ... Still there are many books that can't be found in either. At times I have tried inter-library loan, but it is very frustrating as the delay is often long and the borrowing periods short. So I continue to buy quite a few books.
I agree for the most part. However, I was told once that you really haven't read a book until the third time through it. I believe that. The library procedure discourages that even though the Denver Public Library allows one to renew the loan three times (except in rare circumstances).

Consequently, I have a little over 16,000 books in my library and, to be truthful, have cut way back on my purchases but somehow still manage two or three a month.

(Yeah, I know... I should get rid of a few. Unfortunately, I am too busy reading to have time for that. Perhaps someday... when I get too old for this retirement gig.)
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post
I agree for the most part. However, I was told once that you really haven't read a book until the third time through it. I believe that. The library procedure discourages that even though the Denver Public Library allows one to renew the loan three times (except in rare circumstances).

Consequently, I have a little over 16,000 books in my library and, to be truthful, have cut way back on my purchases but somehow still manage two or three a month.

(Yeah, I know... I should get rid of a few. Unfortunately, I am too busy reading to have time for that. Perhaps someday... when I get too old for this retirement gig.)
My apartment has room for me, or my books. So I have to be careful. Space here is too expensive for me to take more just so I would have more room for my books.

Ha
Old 01-22-2009, 01:48 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sexual Addicts Anonymous.
Is this a picture book?
Old 01-22-2009, 01:54 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
My apartment has room for me, or my books. So I have to be careful. Space here is too expensive for me to take more just so I would have more room for my books.
Ah. If only I had such a regulator. <wistful expression>
Old 01-22-2009, 03:45 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However, I was told once that you really haven't read a book until the third time through it. I believe that.

Wow, a genuine bibliophile! I agree that a really good book needs to be reread a few times. However, not all books deserve that treatment.

So, my recent theory is to use the public library to prescreen, and then to buy the good ones. Most of the time, once I have really read a book, having invested considerable time in it, I want to keep it.

However, it does not work out, as my cheapskate nature takes over, and I have yet to buy a book that I checked out of the library and liked. All the better, as we have been telling ourselves we need to declutter.
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:10 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I have not had great luck with half .com . My books sit there forever whereas on Amazon they usually sell in a day or two .
I've had good luck buying and selling on half.com, but sounds like I might do better on amazon.com. Thanks, I'll try it...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
However, not all books deserve that treatment....All the better, as we have been telling ourselves we need to declutter.
Yeah, there a lot of books I haven't "read." And an even greater number that only deserved about half-way through -- particularly in the Finance/Retirement/Economics bin. On the other hand, it really does take about three times to fully get on board with truly deep thinkers -- the Finance/Retirement/Economics group comes to mind here also. I don't want to get into specifics but... for example, we all know where Susie Orman fits in the scheme of things.

Yes, I shudder to think what a mess I would be in if every book was as good as the author thought it was. (Why did "American Idol" just flash across my mind.)
Old 01-22-2009, 04:31 PM   #33
Gone but not forgotten

I love books and I used to have books everywhere until I would declutter and donate them . Now I have an orderly collection . I use the library a lot but sometimes there is a book I just have to read now . So I buy it read it and let my Mother & my Sisters read it and then I sell it . It's my own little recycling effort .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 06:50 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
(Why did "American Idol" just flash across my mind.)

Attachment 5538
Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Some other things to consider:
- If you live near a large metropolitan area, Craigslist may get your sale before eBay or Half.com. You might not have to pay any fees or commissions, either.
- Don't leave funds in your PayPal account. If PayPal or eBay have a problem (or if a customer complains) then it's hypothetically possible for your PayPal account funds to be frozen or even sucked back.
- Our post offices are almost always very crowded and slow, so I rarely go there anymore. I order all supplies over their website (both free and stamps) and arrange for pickup. Pickup has always been flawless and the USPS e-mails allow you to keep the buyer informed. Our post office also has an automated kiosk which is very handy on days I don't have a pickup arranged.

When I come across a book that I want to read, I add it to a Word document and later try to find it at our library. If it doesn't show up on their catalog within six months then I'll put in a "buy this book for the library" request. If that doesn't produce results within another six months then I'll buy it from Amazon or whoever else has cheap shipping. If it's a good book then I'll donate it to the library, and chances are pretty high that it'll still be in the catalog for the exceedingly rare chance that I want to read it again. If it's a really good book then I'll give it to family. If it's a life-changing book then I'll keep it and buy more copies for family gifts.

I haven't been selling my old books because they're generally in heavily worn condition and easier to donate to the library or throw away. I've started disposing of my old 1940s-1970s serials-- mostly suspense and mystery paperbacks, mostly to be burned at the HPOWER plant. I've donated a few to the library's annual book sale and taken the tax deduction. I'm down to about 20 feet of science fiction but I have a hard time getting rid of Asimov, Chalker, & Heinlein...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Is this a picture book?
Actually I think it's a popup book!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:21 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Sexual Addicts Anonymous
Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Is this a picture book?
No photos, except on the dust jacket, a discreet drawing of a sun rising above the clouds, and the words, “from shame to grace.” My best hope is: after it doesn’t sell and I forget it’s on the bottom shelf, and eventually get carted off the old folks home, whoever cleans out my place will find it and laugh, “Joe, we hardly knew ye.... luckily.”
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 07:41 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good one.

I was thinking, however, of all those folks with absolutely no talent who get angry when told that... well, maybe Paula could apply after all. (No, that's unfair. I take it back.
Old 01-22-2009, 07:47 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good one.

I was thinking, however, of all those folks with absolutely no talent who get angry when told that... well, maybe Paula could apply after all. (No, that's unfair. I take it back.
Paula is an interesting story. She is a talented dancer, and she found a way to leverage that into a career that endures long beyond the dancer age.

I used to buy her dance videos for exercise on rainy days.

PS: thanks for all the advice about packing materials.

Ha
Old 01-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
When I come across a book that I want to read, I add it to a Word document and later try to find it at our library. If it doesn't show up on their catalog within six months then I'll put in a "buy this book for the library" request. If that doesn't produce results within another six months then I'll buy it from Amazon or whoever else has cheap shipping.
DW likes to shop in places like Wally World and Target. She doesn't buy much, but she keeps her eyes out for deals and new products (clothing mostly). I head for the book department. I keep an eye out for just released, easy to read books like Stuart Woods, Robert Parker, James Patterson. I read fast, and can usually finish one in 2 or 3 trips to the store, assuming it stays on their shelves long enough. This way I get new books faster than at the library, and still for free.

Quote:
If it's a good book then I'll donate it to the library, and chances are pretty high that it'll still be in the catalog for the exceedingly rare chance that I want to read it again.
Our library system doesn't shelve donated books. They put them in the twice yearly book sale, then use that money to buy the books they choose. Otherwise I'd be doing this too. I get furious when they only have books 2 and 3 or 1 and 3 of a trilogy.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
I love books and I used to have books everywhere until I would declutter and donate them . Now I have an orderly collection . I use the library a lot but sometimes there is a book I just have to read now . So I buy it read it and let my Mother & my Sisters read it and then I sell it . It's my own little recycling effort .
Not that it's for everyone, but I decided that I could have two bookshelves and that's it. When/if I buy new ones, something older has to go. And I've never had a problem letting of some of the oldies. My parents and my sister just kept buying shelves and never getting rid of anything. Finally after decades, they both realized they had a lot of old books they would never read again, some because they were just so far out of date. FWIW...

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote