Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Ebola
Old 08-03-2014, 10:12 AM   #41
Recycles dryer sheets

Ebola

I'm with Brewer on this one. Seems downright stupid.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2014, 10:24 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
..., but given its track record, the medical community in cases like this, still has my trust and is our best hope to combat this disease.
OK, maybe I wouldn't be so trusting of the medical community … and I used to work in a hospital. So I would say, "Trust, but verify" and let this Atlanta stuff be the first part of the "verify".
Old 08-03-2014, 10:31 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
OK, maybe I wouldn't be so trusting of the medical community … and I used to work in a hospital. So I would say, "Trust, but verify" and let this Atlanta stuff be the first part of the "verify".
+1
I used to work in a hospital too.....
Old 08-03-2014, 10:37 AM   #44
Gone but not forgotten

I do not think it's a stupid idea just a very risky one . I spent forty years working in health care & mistakes happen even very deadly mistakes at the best facilities.
Old 08-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

@LOL!...from my quote, I stated "in cases like this". My wife is a nurse and she too tells me, "If at all possible, stay out of the hospital....a lot of things can go wrong." So I know where you're coming from.

But I go back to the "in cases like this" line. Polio, Chicken Pox, Diphtheria, Malaria, Measles, Pertussis, Typhoid, Tetanus, Yellow Fever. All cured. Nope, the med community has my vote on this one.

(Baldness has not yet been tackled)
Old 08-03-2014, 10:48 AM   #46
Administrator

Not bringing the infected people back for treatment doesn't mean we will avoid confronting this disease on US shore. As others have pointed out, a two week incubation period means there is really no effective way to keep it away.

Here in the US we have the facilities, resources, knowledge and training to treat the individuals and also deal with the disease, contain it's spread. It is a difficult choice, but it is an important message to the health care community and a good example for the rest of the world to follow.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
@LOL!...from my quote, I stated "in cases like this". My wife is a nurse and she too tells me, "If at all possible, stay out of the hospital....a lot of things can go wrong." So I know where you're coming from.

But I go back to the "in cases like this" line. Polio, Chicken Pox, Diphtheria, Malaria, Measles, Pertussis, Typhoid, Tetanus, Yellow Fever. All cured. Nope, the med community has my vote on this one.

(Baldness has not yet been tackled)
If, by "cured" you mean "eliminated" then I have bad news for you. None of these diseases have been eliminated. There is no "cure" for most of them. The only disease that has been eliminated to date is smallpox.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:33 AM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Not bringing the infected people back for treatment doesn't mean we will avoid confronting this disease on US shore. As others have pointed out, a two week incubation period means there is really no effective way to keep it away.

Here in the US we have the facilities, resources, knowledge and training to treat the individuals and also deal with the disease, contain it's spread. It is a difficult choice, but it is an important message to the health care community and a good example for the rest of the world to follow.
The grim prognosis of Ebola virus infection may not necessarily apply when the full resources of an advanced health care system are used to support a previously healthy patient. We simply don't know the answer. Yet.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:35 AM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

@Meadbh....I too will bold some words so that you get my gist. Nope, the med community has my vote on this one.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:42 AM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

just sayin'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8n7zMwu.jpg (107.2 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Just watched the movie Outbreak for the first time in 15 years. Shows how easy it is for things to go bad. Check it out: Outbreak 1995 BRRiP x264 AC3-OFFLiNE mp4 | PutLocker
Old 08-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

I didn't like hearing about the decision to bring the patient into the US at first. In reading more about the disease, I don't feel quite as apprehensive, but as many people here have posted, viruses mutate, people make mistakes, Murphy's law, etc. In short, sh*t happens. Hopefully, it won't hit the fan now that he's in country.

On a related note, if you're interested in watching what I think is a good movie about a virus in Africa spreading to the US, go watch Outbreak, a 1995 movie with Dustin Hoffman. The Andromeda Strain is also good (I enjoy "virus appears and scientists have to suit up in research facility to combat it" type of movies).

EDIT: LOL at poster above, who just posted about Outbreak as I hit the Post key. Similar minds think alike, and all that...
Old 08-03-2014, 11:58 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

movies. Not documentaries
Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

I would not be surprised at all if this current little escapade gets turned into a movie eventually.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 PM   #55

Ebola does not yet have the 'right stuff' to be a widespread health threat in the developed world.
From the perspective of the pathogen, it is possible to be too effective for its own good. That is, to kill the host before maximizing the number of new hosts.
There is a far greater threat to public health from a new strain of influenza than from ebola.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:45 PM   #56

There seems to be far too much faith that nothing will go wrong and that current medical science has definitive answer for everything. There's a lot we do not know about the Ebola virus and certainly we do not know about future mutations it may undergo.

Much like proliferation of fictional forensic evidence on TV has lead to jurors heightened expectation of unbroken chains of physical evidence in real criminal trials,
medical advances and modern miracles have inclined many people to worshipful belief that medicine can not make mistakes or that nothing will go wrong with elaborate plans. In today's news a Hospital Director tests positive for Ebola when he was forced to take a second test after a previous negative diagnosis. His reason for the second test: he intended to fly to abroad.

Quote:
allAfrica.com: Liberia: Catholic Hospital Boss Tested Positive of Ebola - Report

Our information divulged that on the 17th of this month, his specimen was taken and the result, which came on the next day (July 18), proved negative.
Not being satisfied, the report further divulged, the ailing Catholic hospital director decided to seek further treatment abroad, but his trip was subjected to Ebola test.
It was based on this that he did another test on Tuesday, July 29, 2014, which proved positive, contrary to the first test he underwent.
I'm not looking for fearful backlash against Ebola or it's victims, but I think a lot more caution and preparation for what might go wrong is warranted. We are all to easily impressed with plans and far too likely to fail to consider alternative scenarios, especially if unexpected things happen. I'm glad we are treating what seems by all accounts to be a heroic doctor and glad to see he walked into the isolation unit on his own power, but I have very little expectation that adequate safeguards have been put in place for the unknown unknowns. They almost never are.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:52 PM   #57

Br. Patrick Nshamdze, our Hospital Director, dies at 52 | Saint Joseph´s Catholic Hospital, Monrovia, Liberia

Sadly, the news about the false negative test and later positive diagnosis is a few days out of date. The patient in the story has died.
Tracing the outbreak of Ebola Panic in the US (contains Crazy!)
Old 08-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Tracing the outbreak of Ebola Panic in the US (contains Crazy!)

I've been tracing the Ebola Panic outbreak in the United States, and I believe I'm closing in on Patient Zero.

The first symptoms of Ebola Panic appear to have started with a CNN Promo Tweet.

World Net Daily is another possible origin site, where Ebola was cleverly combined with the fear of scabies at southern border crossing areas.

The contagion quickly spread to the most susceptible, those with severely weakened meme immunity in the Twitterverse and Blogosphere:

The U.S. Is Quietly Establishing Ebola Quarantine Centers | Dave Hodges – The Common Sense Show

The outbreak quickly jumped from the blogosphere to fringe media. Alex Jones editor PJ Watson was the first in this group to succumb to the deadly plague:

» If Ebola Hits U.S., Even Healthy Americans Will be Quarantined Alex Jones' Infowars: There's a war on for your mind!

I hear the New World Order may have to fly in and start aerial spraying of Prozac across US population centers. Or... Has this already happened?!??

(Given that some folks out in the world apparently use Hollywood movies and random rants on the Internet to base decisions on, I thought I'd introduce our more level-headed readers to Where The Crazy Lives out there. Yes, these noises on the Internet have followers, believers, and supporters, all wrapped up in their own private little worlds. This is who you get to argue with... Good luck...)
Old 08-03-2014, 01:38 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

^^^^^^^ Best post of the day award
Old 08-03-2014, 01:43 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

The Borowitz Report in the New Yorker has the best summation of the state of the art in the USA.

Nation Apparently Believed in Science at Some Point
Closed Thread