Emojis? Wha? Please use words

Complaining about emojis - definitely a first world problem. And yes, I intentionally won't use one in this post.
It’s interesting what we find to complain about…

Embiggen makes me think of Monty Python's Pilate: "My fwend, Biggus Dickus."

I think you deserve accolades for making a Monty Python reference in this forum that wasn't a link to a YouTube video of The Four Yorkshiremen :LOL:

A wafer-thin accolade, for a reference that was similarly thin :LOL:

I think you deserve accolades for making a Monty Python reference in this forum that wasn't a link to a YouTube video of The Four Yorkshiremen :LOL:

I don't use them very much, unless I am texting back and forth with my now 5 year old grandson. I started receiving texts from him when he was 4 years old and I had to just laugh. I did not know what he was trying to convey. I would send him back a string on random emojis.

I don't remember the circumstance, but I do remember the laugh when my DD was at our house on evening to pick up DGD. She and DW were talking and DD ask her why she called her a Sh**head? DW had the DEER in the headlight look so DD said in this text, and showed her phone. DW thought she had sent a chocolate ice cream! She only uses the yellow ones now.

I use emoji's when sending text and posting on forums.:) Emails I tend to be more verbose. Driving, I tend to use sign language.:LOL:

In text messages, as well as emails and forum posts I will use some.
It sounds like the OP is receiving messages of only emojis? If so, that strikes me as out of hand.

I believe emojis are not only useful, but critical in communication.
In forum posts, it is easy to misinterpret statements. Face to face communication provides visual feedback cues as to what the speaker is saying. We process hundreds of these unspoken cues in every face to face conversation we have.

None of that exist in emails, texts or forum posts. Emojis, while not as good, do give us some visual feedback.
The can tell us if the speaker is angry, sarcastic, happy, ecstatic, etc.

I find the reserved use of emojis helpful.

I keep up a running conversation with all the people around me while I'm driving:

"Pick a lane, Sparky."

"You should have sprung for the internal combustion engine; your squirrels are getting tired".

"I also hate it when my gas pedal stops working during the turns."

"Good thinking. Those turn signals will burn right out if you use them too much."

Sadly, they never hold up their end of the conversation.

When I worked at Megacorp, sometimes there would be "every must attend" Zoom calls to go over something that many felt was a waste of time. One exec, on the calls she sponsored, insisted that everyone be visible on Zoom, to "prove" they were paying attention. On these calls several of us (anywhere from 3 to a dozen) would open up a private group chat and communicate mainly via emojis and pictures on the things being discussed. On Zoom it seems like we where nodding and smiling at the points being raised, when we were actually reacting to the private chat :D.

Yes, I do partake in the use of emojis :blush:.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom