Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-17-2018, 12:10 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Moemg , they have always sat in front of their person and there was enough room for them to do so. But they keep shrinking the space. If a dog is not laying quietly next to their person trust me they are not a real service dog.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2018, 12:15 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry1 View Post
Well, there you go. Pony's on Southwest. Gonna be fun.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/anim...cid=spartandhp
"I, for one, welcome our miniature horse overlords!"

IIRC, people use these because they live longer than dogs (service training is $$$)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:37 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Miniature horses are also a recognized service animal by the ADA, but there are a few more assessment factors specific to miniature horses. These horses are only 24 to 34 inches tall at the shoulders, and weigh 70 to 100 lbs. They can easily be transported with a minivan. If someone brings a miniature horse to the courthouse where I work, we have to let it in. I am hoping someday this happens and I see it. I think it would be cool. I am not sure I would want to be stuck next to one on a plane...might be better than a creepy, smelly guy that is halfway into my seat though.
Dreaming of Freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:42 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I forgot to add, I think there needs to be more regulation of and licensing of ADA animals now that half the population is lying about their animals being service animals. It makes me angry, and is causing a backlash against people who really need and have service animals. I believe it is a felony in some states to pass an animal off as a service animal when it really isn't.

I was in the San Diego International Airport Southwest Airlines terminal recently. This lady was walking her male Chihuahua on a leash, and it kept lifting its leg and peeing on everything it passed. Its owner could not care less. She appeared to be more worried about how she looked.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:40 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
I don't mind dogs in stores nor in restaurants. I've lived in places in Europe where it was normal to allow dogs, but not children in a restaurant.
Perhaps in Europe dogs are better behaved than children?

See the thread on Screaming Kids in Restaurants.
Old 09-17-2018, 02:48 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

and then there is the "service peacock" that was trying to board a plane recently

gimme a break
Old 09-17-2018, 02:57 PM   #47
gone traveling

I love animals too, but I love my granddaughter more. And she is terrified of dogs. If your beloved comfort dog starts to bother my granddaughter, that dog is going to have big problems.

People first. Animals second.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 03:22 PM   #48

I have absolutely no issue at all with true service animals. Unfortunately, the emotional support pets, here in CA, are getting out of hand. As a landlord I can designate no pets (just like designating no smoking.) But if the tenant claims the pet is a support animal, there is no recourse... not even a pet damage deposit.

I was on a flight from NYC to San Diego last December and there were 8 large dogs brought on the plane. 2 were less than happy to be near each other (some growling happening. 3 were large (labs, goldens, etc.) When I was moving cross country 20 years ago I had to a) pay a fee to bring my pet onboard. (No extra seat - this was to place her under the seat in front of me in a carrier.) b) show shot records and vet report. And they limited the number of pets in the cabin. Now with service and comfort animals being brought on - the fees are waived, the shots/medical history is waived, and there is no control over the number of pets in the cabin.

It's an unfortunate thing that there are selfish pet owners that abuse the system to not pay for their pet's travel and feel entitled to do this. I have no problem with legitimate service animals.

I own a dog. I bring my dog to restaurants that have patio seating... I would NEVER think of bringing my dog inside a restaurant (vs the patio) or into a store. Not even home depot. If I needed to travel with my dog I would contact the airline and pay the fees as appropriate. Since my dog is a small husky, he probably wouldn't fit in the foot well so he'd probably be crated in the luggage space. My dog gives me comfort but is not a comfort or service animal.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:33 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I've had pets and loved them, too. I understand some feel that they can't get through life without their pet by their side. That's none of my business. But it's not really my problem, either. They need to figure out a way to get from place to place without demanding that I sit next to their goat.
+1

I have no problems with service animals (usually dogs) as they have been trained, are well behaved and actually should not be petted or touched by others, and they will very rarely have an "accident". BUT, I do think some kind of certification should be required, and presented, when travelling on a plane.

"Comfort Animals" and "Support Animals" are different. They are undefined descriptions. Some are truly trained, and provide real support, some are just "my 10 year old pet who I can't leave behind". Either way, they are optional when it comes to travel. You CAN get physically on and off the plane without them. If you MUST have them, then some accommodation can be made, for a price.

FWIW, we have a dog. We take her with us in the travel trailer, or sometimes using the car and motels. While she is great with people, not so much with other dogs, so we would never take her to a store or to dinner. Not fair to others.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:46 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

If people are so emotionally insecure that they have to have their pet with them 24 seven ........I donít want to be around those kind of people

Retired January 2019, age 63
35/65 AA
0.00 WR
Floridatennisplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 07:00 PM   #51

A number of airlines are now taking a harder line on service animals. No pigs, roosters, peacocks, etc.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #52

I was flipping through a Costco travel brochure recently and noticed some transatlantic cruises that provided accommodations for pets. If I was making a move across the pond, that would be an attractive option.
Mr._Graybeard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:55 PM   #53

Too many scammers ruining it for the truely needy.
Ran across some one with a service vest on a little longer dog that tried to bite everyone that went by it last week.
Obviously not a trained service animal.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:15 PM   #54
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder what states have laws against having your pet impersonate a service animal? I know it is a crime in California. I wonder how they enforce it?
Old 09-17-2018, 10:21 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravitySucks View Post
..............Ran across some one with a service vest on a little longer dog that tried to bite everyone that went by it last week.
Obviously not a trained service animal.
Maybe it was trained to be a Surrogate Aggressor, for antisocial people that just can't bring themselves do the attacking themselves.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Emotional support animals in restaurants/stores
Old 09-17-2018, 10:23 PM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I fully agree.

Animals are unsanitary and should not be allowed where food is sold or prepared.

I own dogs but donít allow them in my home.

I recently watched a mutt urinate on the carpet in an airport terminal lounge. The owner walked off.
Then dozens of people unwittingly walked through the dog urine before a worker placed an orange cone on the spot.
It was infuriating to see such a cavalier response by the owner.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:32 PM   #57
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwp2017 View Post
I fully agree.

Animals are unsanitary and should not be allowed where food is sold or prepared.

I own dogs but donít allow them in my home.

I recently watched a mutt urinate on the carpet in an airport terminal lounge. The owner walked off.
Then dozens of people unwittingly walked through the dog urine before a worker placed an orange cone on the spot.
It was infuriating to see such a cavalier response by the owner.
I am not a smoker or a dog owner, but I do wish airports had more pet relief and smoking areas after security. Heck, I wish there was a place to go outside for the rest of us stuck in a stuffy airport all day. My favorite airport: Palm Springs!
Old 09-17-2018, 11:24 PM   #58
Give me a forum ...

IWP, if your dogs aren’t allowed in your home you shouldn’t have them. Dogs are pack animals and no more unsanitary than people.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
IWP, if your dogs arenít allowed in your home you shouldnít have them. Dogs are pack animals and no more unsanitary than people.

You have your opinion, I have mine.

My dogs live in an outdoor kennel. They are well treated and have the run of my rural property in which they enjoy themselves immensely outdoors without disturbing others.

I donít want dog hair, dog urine, and dog feces on my floors and furniture, to me that is unsanitary.

Pets defecate and urinate at will, thus for public health safety reasons, should not be allowed in public areas that serve or sell food.

What you do in your home is your right.
lwp2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:43 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Trained dogs do not do their business at will. They do what they are trained to do. I hope you spend tons of time outside with them or why bother to have them. They are pack animals and need to be with their people. They are no more unsanitary than people. They