Join Early Retirement Today

Emotional support animals in restaurants/stores
Old 09-16-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have noticed more and more lately that there are people who bring animals with them into grocery stores and restaurants and stores in general. I have seen people pushing small dogs and cats in baby strollers in my local grocery store, and in several fast casual type restaurants. I saw one person carrying a small dog in his hands on his chest in my local grocery store. This bothers me, does this bother anyone else? It seems to me that animals should not be allowed in restaurants or grocery stores unless they are legitimate service animals for someone with a legitimate disability, not fake emotional support animals that people claim to be service animals to abuse the system. I think people who abuse the laws designed to help people with legitimate disabilities are doing more harm than good.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...rowing-problem

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...211-story.html
JustCurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #2

No small dogs are cute. But what bothers me is people who bring their cute dogs to the swimming pool when there’s sign specific said no dogs or cats allowed in. One time I had to point out to a dog owner.
What also bothers me is that these dog lovers should pick up their dogs poop. When I go out at night for a walk, there’s big dog poop everywhere. Yikes!!
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 11:50 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Doesn’t bother me if well behaved.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

No problem here
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:17 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I rather someone have their dog with them versus a ill behaved child.
Old 09-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #6

I've noticed an increasing number of stores encouraging people to bring their dogs.
Mr._Graybeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:47 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I rather someone have their dog with them versus a ill behaved child.

IMHO, an ill behaved dog is much more hazardous than an ill behaved child. I was in a store where two otherwise good dogs took a dislking to each other. The patrons were soon scrambling out of the way just like movie extras caught between Superman and evil aliens.

I would hope both would be kept out of a store or other public place by the responsible adult in charge of them.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:51 PM   #8

I saw some airheaded bimbo with her "service dog" in CVS last month. Service dog my butt! Pooped on the floor, wandering around (fortunately on a leash) and a vest that had "service dog" written on it no doubt bought on Amazon or someplace.

I like dogs, I grew up with several, but that's way out of line.
Old 09-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Many restaurants here allow dogs on the patio. Never saw one incident. When we are home we leave our dogs home. When we take car trips we look for restaurants with a patio if we have the dogs. Once we had a rescue that was unpredictable so always left her home with a dog sitter unless we have the RV. People just need to lose common sense.
Old 09-16-2018, 03:08 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Almost ubiquitous at Home Depot and Lowes here in greater Portlandia. I saw one poop on the floor, but in general they are not a problem. I leave my dog at home.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
I have noticed more and more lately that there are people who bring animals with them into grocery stores and restaurants and stores in general. I have seen people pushing small dogs and cats in baby strollers in my local grocery store, and in several fast casual type restaurants. I saw one person carrying a small dog in his hands on his chest in my local grocery store. This bothers me, does this bother anyone else? It seems to me that animals should not be allowed in restaurants or grocery stores unless they are legitimate service animals for someone with a legitimate disability, not fake emotional support animals that people claim to be service animals to abuse the system. I think people who abuse the laws designed to help people with legitimate disabilities are doing more harm than good.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/b...rowing-problem

Emotional support animals — from dogs to peacocks, real or fake — present challenges for businesses - Chicago Tribune
Unfortunately, there's no way to tell, given one can buy those cute "service" vests for any animal.
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

At the elegant Galleria Vittorio Emanuele in Milan (link below), we saw a dog being walked through the mall, and it pooped right on the beautiful mosaic floor and left a big pile. The dog owner of course walked away quickly with her dog.

A few more steps, a pool of urine from another dog. This time, because the urine spot was not as obvious, people walked over it, and spread it everywhere. I cringed when thinking someone could have slipped and fell on that wet spot.

Thoroughly disgusting!

https://goo.gl/maps/3phL2TvWMeH2

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:37 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

I enjoy seeing pet animals, if they're under control. But then, that's how I feel about children :-)

The service-dog scam is one of several reasons we got out of landlording, never to return.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:52 PM   #14

It doesn't bother me, because I prefer not to be bothered by things that cost me nothing, but bring pleasure to others.

Of course, the poop/pee/fight incidents cited are a negative, though those are very rare from my experience. Dog owners who don't control these issues are the problem, not the 99% that come and go with no mess or fuss.

As far as the restaurant? Eh, here in FL, a lot of restaurants have outdoor seating and will encourage/permit pets on the patio, and not the main indoor restaurant.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:14 PM   #15

I had a relative use the service dog via Amazon vest so they could take their dog on a plane for free. I don’t know, we have all sorts of rules and licenses and certifications. Take a handicap parking sticker for one. Sure, it can be abused, but is it so out of line to require a “license” for a service pet and a requirement to show it upon entry? I like dogs, but not all and not in certain places. I don’t want to see dog crap in a store or restaurant. I don’t want to be touched in any way by a dog. I don’t want them rubbing up against me and shedding on my pants, I don’t want them sniffing me or licking me and I sure don’t want the risk of being between two of them going at it (fighting, of course ).

It’s just amazing to me how inconsiderate and self centered people have become. Maybe it was always that way and I just didn’t notice, but it’s pretty bad. Seriously, pretending you have a medical need just so you can take your pet with you? I don’t get it.
Old 09-16-2018, 06:41 PM   #16

A group I belong to had to look into this. I found this FAQ very interesting. It describes the things a business or organization can, and cannot, do or ask about service animals. It's pretty specific, but I was especially surprised that all you can do is ask three questions, and can't request or require any sort of certificate or proof.

This specifically does NOT apply to "comfort" or "emotional support" animals. These have no federal protections.

Be aware that state and municipal laws may also apply, and airline regulations differ from these ADA rules. I've heard the airlines are trying to get those tightened up.
CaptTom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 06:55 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I saw some airheaded bimbo with her "service dog" in CVS last month. Service dog my butt!
Okay, now how do you really feel about it...
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 07:08 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Don't like seeing them in grocery stores and yes also believe there is increasing abuse of the system.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:19 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

The reason you can’t ask for certification or proof is because a real service dog can be trained by anyone. If the dog can perform the task it needs to do, lie quietly at the owners feet without making a sound, etc it is a real service dog. Actually there are only 2 questions you can ask. Airlines are covered under a different section of the law as is housing.
Old 09-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

I think one thing that has caused more people to lie to fly is because they keep increasing the cost. Right now it’s $150 each way to take a small dog on the plane. With the airlines continuing to shrink the leg room how does someone with a big service dog even fit. They shouldn’t be forced to buy a seat with more room just to fit their dog. Seems like discrimination.