Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Encountering Purge resistance and some progress...
Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Encountering Purge resistance and some progress...

I’ve started the long awaited basement purge and clean up. No excuses Ive got three weeks off— It is complicated by the epoxy I got on the floor in my ‘work room” when I built a canoe down there. I’ve scraped up as much as I can and I epoxy paint on a test section of the floor. It looks great and I cant wait to get it done. I don’t know about you but once I start something I get pretty anxious to see it to conclusion. Any opposition is not appreciated.

I suggested to Mrs RayinPenn that the 30 tubes of caulking we have down there were potential purge items. Answer: “Some of those are new”. I thought to myself (being cowardly) that the dust on them would say otherwise. How about some of that paint Answer: “thats the paint we have on the walls”. Again I thought to myself - are we planning on repainting?... Ok those two sections of shelves are hers the rest is going.

A nice Lady just came and bought my old Radio Controlled airplanes. I didn’t care about the money I wanted them gone. Now there’s two mysterious boxes and some fish tank stuff that i think Ill take to curb for the scroungers. I think some of those calk tubes may go the way of Jimmy Hoffa...

Confession Ive got 30 fishing poles down there...Yes I have an addiction.

Oh and by the by that super clean garage still is the bees knees.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It took us four 'swoops'. We became more vicious each time. We had an advantage since we were working to a hard date.

Still, after several storages, moves, four years on there are items the we are still discarding. This year we put up a Christmas tree for the first time in five years. Found just about everything except that stand cover.

BUT, I was on the verge of discarding my caulking gun five years ago. Glad I did not. Used it last week. Hunted all over and found it in the unused umbrella stand.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:13 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We did a major purge in the mid-90s. We were brutal. OTOH I have lots of spare parts in my workshop and I am using one of them right now to change my bathroom light from a halogen to an LED.

When we rent our place in the winter, we do another purge and we are finding it much easier now as we do it for the 10th year. We leave one owner's closet and some under bed drawers.

Ray I have found that you can resurrect caulking at least once by cutting the tube open to get at the soft interior stuff. Used it this fall. Then threw it away. Win-win.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

we started purging last year after retirement. It started slow, but we have now become ruthless. We look at our "stuff" and think whether or not our kids would want it after we are gone (most likely no).
Reading Marie Kondo book or watching her videos on extreme home declutter gave me the big push.
DH was a saver/collector but he has become much better at decluttering than I ever imagined.
We are down to about 1 paper bag per month to either garbage or GoodWill, depending on what it is. When we started, it was regularly a large black yard bag!
Old 12-12-2017, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
How about some of that paint Answer: “thats the paint we have on the walls”. Again I thought to myself - are we planning on repainting?...
Had to chuckle at that line ..... FINALLY took the paint / epoxy / caulk from my garage to the county recycling center. Containers were rusted shut. Now just have 4 quarts (inside walls & trim, exterior walks & trim)
gayl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

We don't have a basement so all the junk is in the garage.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:04 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Our first major purge had to be brutal because we were relocating for DW's job and we had just a few months to drastically downsize (we were going from a 2,500 sqft house in a low COL area to a 2-bedroom apartment in a high COL area). It forced us to make difficult decisions quickly (none of which we have regretted). When there is no such urgency, it is easier to postpone purging decisions.

By the way, I keep cans of paint that we have on our walls for touch-ups.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

We keep paint if it is currently on the walls. If only for the colour code. We keep some ceramic tiles in case one breaks or cracks. Same with prefinished hardwood flooring. No wallpaper....thankfully.

Energy inefficient Christmas exterior lights will be trashed after Christmas and replaced with newer, better, cheaper product. Extra bulbs and all. Bought the new ones yesterday 70 percent off. Well, not really 70 percent off. 20 percent off the normal selling price of 50 percent off. We are oh so tired of these 50 percent off sales that are not.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We keep paint if it is currently on the walls. If only for the colour code. We keep some ceramic tiles in case one breaks or cracks. Same with prefinished hardwood flooring. No wallpaper....thankfully.

Energy inefficient Christmas exterior lights will be trashed after Christmas and replaced with newer, better, cheaper product. Extra bulbs and all. Bought the new ones yesterday 70 percent off. Well, not really 70 percent off. 20 percent off the normal selling price of 50 percent off. Hard to buy anything a 'full list' these days.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

When I saw the subject line I thought that it was a misplaced Health and Early Retirement post
madsquopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:49 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

I also only keep paint if it's on the walls. Other paint is given away...one of my friends has rentals and he doesn't care that much about colour as long as it's not obnoxious. He'll often combine 2 or more partial cans to make enough for the required job.

I've also been purging lately...it's amazing how much junk you can accumulate in just the kitchen cupboards.

I also had a "forced purge" of the basement about 3 years ago when I got some water in it...I spent a frantic 3 hours in the middle of the night carrying upstairs 2 full sets of band equipment (PA, drums, amps, etc.), 1200 pound of weights and gym equipment, untold amounts of tools, plus a bunch of rarely used and storage items. After cleanup, I only put a bare minimum of stuff back in the basement.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #12

DW used to force me to keep paint and it was always in sad shape if we ever needed it (which was seldom).

I finally got smart and simply took a picture of the label on the can and also the sticker on the lid showing the exact color coding. I can take that into Home Depot and get a perfect match, buying as little as a quart when touch up is needed.

I also have a file on the laptop showing exactly what paint is on which wall, all over the house.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:14 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

A few small jars with good sealing lids are all one needs to keep a bit of paint on hand for touchups. If you leave a gallon of paint with a couple inches on the bottom, it's almost guaranteed to dry up. But, an 8 ounce jar with 4 or 5 ounces in it won't dry up.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by madsquopper View Post
When I saw the subject line I thought that it was a misplaced Health and Early Retirement post
and shouldn't this be in the Stealth Purging thread

<duck & run>
Scrapr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:18 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
A few small jars with good sealing lids are all one needs to keep a bit of paint on hand for touchups. If you leave a gallon of paint with a couple inches on the bottom, it's almost guaranteed to dry up. But, an 8 ounce jar with 4 or 5 ounces in it won't dry up.
This ^^^^^
Old 12-12-2017, 09:42 PM   #16

So good to have company. We've been through this like many of you. Started with a move (forced purge) and keeps on going. I've been working on DD. She started this year with a garage sale and was a bit excited but also disheartened with the small amount of progress. I told her that with a good effort, it will take a year. Realistically, it will take a couple years. Just keep at it.

We don't have a basement and was very proud to get one car in the garage for this winter. It has plenty of room to walk around it, so we didn't just squeeze it in. I'll never get two cars in unless we build a shed for the riding lawn mower and other outdoor equipment, but it was a good year and now we're settled in for the winter. We'll hit it again in the spring.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:08 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

I had a paid relocation with storage & dragged crap along. Now I’ve had stuff in the attic years. The passing of parents brought on more. The goal is full trash & recycling cans every week as well as the car trunk to charity. I recommend it’s done BEFORE reaching FIRE. Purging interferes with play time.
USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:09 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I belong to 3 forums and you would be surprised at the number of people that resort to stealth purging because their other half will not get rid of stuff.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:16 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I've never quite understood the morality play that people seem to make out of simple tidying up.

Everybody has to tidy up every now and then; it's not that big of a deal.

But according to the Internet, it is the source of debates every bit as major as whether or not to eat certain foods.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:10 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post

Energy inefficient Christmas exterior lights will be trashed after Christmas and replaced with newer, better, cheaper product. Extra bulbs and all. Bought the new ones yesterday 70 percent off. Well, not really 70 percent off. 20 percent off the normal selling price of 50 percent off. We are oh so tired of these 50 percent off sales that are not.

Kinda glad the old owner left all the paint cans in the garage... when contractor was doing work he had to cut holes in 4 different locations that had 4 different colors... we were able to find 3 of the colors but he had to match the 4th......

However, the match was perfect and it has me thinking that we might not need to keep them..... but, DD did scar a wall that I have not looked to see if we have matching paint... so there is that....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote