Encrypt Folders on my Windows PC

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Let's say I'm using my computer at a coffee shop, I turn around and someone steals it. I would like to have the sensitive folders (e.g. my tax files) encrypted. I want the folders to appear (that is, not be hidden or renamed) because I don't want to have trouble remembering where they are next year.

I don't want to go through extra steps to access them. That is, I just want to open the folder and be prompted for a password before I can proceed.

I haven't found a good way to do this. This page has options, but none of them meet the above criteria. For example, I can encrypt the folder with XP, but if I am logged on when the computer is stolen, that encryption is useless.

Suggestions?

Well if you're using Microsoft office all of the programs have an easy way to do this.

Click in the top menu bar click Tools then Options. In the top of the window that shows up click security and you'll see the window say "PAssword to open:" with a box for you to type in the password. type in your pasword, hit enter, type your password again hit enter then click ok.

Now to open the file you need to now the password no matter who's logged in.

You can store multiple files and sub-directories in a zip archive. WinZip has an encryption option - just don't use the default "compatible" setting as it's outdated and can easily be brute-forced by today's computing power. Stick with the 256-bit AES encryption option (Winzip gives you the choice when you add files to the archive).

I wouldn't trust Office's built-in password protection, maybe they've improved it but my impression is that it's only meant to deter casual snoops.

Computer Security.JPG

Let's say I'm using my computer at a coffee shop, I turn around and someone steals it.

Suggestions?

I don't understand your criteria. Seems to be some mutual exclusives:

A) I don't want to go through extra steps to access them. That is, I just want to open the folder and be prompted for a password before I can proceed.

B) I can encrypt the folder with XP, but if I am logged on when the computer is stolen, that encryption is useless.

So if you just enter a PW to access it, with no further interaction, then a thief who steals your laptop while logged in would have access too. How can you have both easy access for you, and difficult access to the thief?

Face recognition in the built in webcam? No T-Al there, no access? Is that feasible? Seems like there would have to be something popping up to ask you to confirm you are who you are for "B" to hold, but that negates "A".

Suggestion: Get physical. Put your sensitive data on a thumb drive with a cord clipped to your belt loop. Encrypt that data. If the thief grabs the laptop from you, the thumb drive pops out, and even if the thief grabs your thumb drive, it has been unmounted and the PW is required.

I'm also picturing "this thumb drive will self-destruct in 10 seconds... (5/4 time) dum dum dee dum, dum dum DEE dum - da dah!!!!"

-ERD50

Not sure I understand the question.

I have a folder with my taxes in them. I will not be accessing that folder when at a coffee shop, but I want to have it on my computer for when I am home.

Ideally, I'm home, and I open the Taxes folder. I get a message saying "enter password" and I do and then I can view the folder. If a thief tries that it will not work.

With XP, I can encrypt the folder, but if I've logged on to my computer for any purpose (e.g. posting here), then no password will be necessary to access the taxes folder. Thus the encryption is useless.

--------------------

I relaxed my criteria and used Soup's suggestion of Winzip with the strongest encryption. If I want to do taxes stuff, I'll need to go through the extra step of unzipping.

Thanks for the help.

With XP, I can encrypt the folder, but if I've logged on to my computer for any purpose (e.g. posting here), then no password will be necessary to access the taxes folder. Thus the encryption is useless.

OK, I didn't realize that Win XP worked that way - I thought it was an extra step to enter the PW for the protected folders, not that that simply logging on made them accessible. Gotcha.

So then zipping them is one way, though not super convenient.

Here's a little tip I found - keeps the thief from seeing that the folder is labeled "All my important passwords to my multi-million dollar accounts are stored here":

Windows Tips: Password-Protect Your Sensitive Files and Folders - PC World
Keep folder contents a secret: A password-protected folder's file names are visible even though the files themselves are inaccessible without the password. To hide them, compress a folder inside another compressed folder and password-protect the topmost folder (see FIGURE 3). Other users can open the top compressed folder, but not the subfolder holding the files.

I'd label the top folder "READ ME", or "DELL xxxx User Manual" - nobody ever pays attention to those things ;)

-ERD50

What doesn't work: Folder Bolt. I used that to hide my financial files on a USB drive from a Windows computer only to find that they are visible from an Apple.
What seems to work: SafeHouse, at least so far.

Sounds like Trucrypt is the best option. I use it for the exact same purpose.

If you're running Vista, then you can choose to encrypt files/folders and store the key on a flash drive (password protected). In addition, you'll want to make sure that you have a username/password when logging into the system.

I use this configuration on my laptop and it works well. When I'm logged in, the system automatically decrypts the files so it's available for all programs (Money, Excel, Word, etc). But if you login as someone else on the system, they can't read the files because they're encrypted.

You can even pass around the same encrypted file between different systems (home pc and laptop), as long as you install the key on both systems.

The only time you'd have to worry about someone accessing the data is if they stole the laptop while you are logged in and were wise enough to access your data immediately. But realistically, most people will shut the lid on the laptop so when they open it again, they'll be prompted for username/password.

I have a folder with my taxes in them. I will not be accessing that folder when at a coffee shop, but I want to have it on my computer for when I am home.

Ideally, I'm home, and I open the Taxes folder. I get a message saying "enter password" and I do and then I can view the folder. If a thief tries that it will not work.

--------------------

I relaxed my criteria and used Soup's suggestion of Winzip with the strongest encryption. If I want to do taxes stuff, I'll need to go through the extra step of unzipping.

Thanks for the help.
The other day I stumbled upon some discussions about encrypted zip files, and how they are easier to crack. Thought you should know that.

TrueCrypt or a similar program that creates an encrypted folder (file) can be used or not used. IOW, when you are at home, you can enter the password and the files are available. When you go to the coffee shop, you don't enter the password, and the data is safe. That mode of operation is simpler (to my simple mind at least).

This thread is a few years old but I have the same question that T-Al did originally. I have tax files and such on my PC that I'd want to protect if the laptop were stolen. A wrinkle is that I'm using Google Drive as my backup system, if that makes a difference.

I'll check out Truecrypt and Cryptzone - anyone have other, updated suggestions?

A word of caution for Folder Lock. It is simple, but was a deserter for me. Before traveling I encrypted a data folder that housed all my important files including financials, tax returns, birth cirtificate etc. etc. When I arrived at my destination I went to Un-encrypt the files, and got an error message. Tech support was useless, so in the end I lost about 4 months of important files, never again to be retrieved. I searched on line for help only to find others who experienced the same problems.

I would only use a product which lists the encryption method to be used. Some of the products mentioned may not provide the right encryption for your purposes.

I've used Truecrypt for several years now, and still recommend it.

Apple's new icloud software lets you find on a map the location of your
stolen mac if it ever is turned on and connected the internet. You can
also login remotely to the stolen mac and erase the hard drive if you
know the admin password.

Consider using TruCrypt. I used it and it worked very well and very fast. Just remember the password or you are toast!

Why not just keep your confidential stuff on a thumb-drive and leave it in a secure place. Better yet keep 2 copies on two drives in two different places.

Folder encryption, even when it works, creates a false sense of security. Open a file and there's a good chance a temp copy is made which is unencrypted (because its not in the encrypted directory). These temp files can be retrieved with unerase software. Plus bits and pieces can end up in the unencrypted swap file.

I have to add my recommendation of TrueCrypt to the list. It encrypts the entire drive transparent to Windows. It will ask you for the password prior to the Windows boot loader running. As noted, don't lose the password.... Truecrypt provides among the highest strength encryption which even attempts by governments to crack encrypted drives failed. The nice thing is it is highly optimized and you're not likely to perceive any noticeable slowdown of the computer at all. Its been around for a long time, is well tested and best of all... free. Even so, its recommended you backup the drive prior to encrypting it (it will encrypt it in the back ground while you use it, you can even shut down and it will pick up where it left off).

I would use a whole disk encryption method and not bother with individual folders. I would also turn on password protection so you have to login every time your computer sleeps / screen saver comes on (and make the duration short).

Be careful if you use the included XP folder encryption feature (the one where the encrypted folders are green in color).

It won't explicitly ask you for a password everytime you use it, but if you later upgrade your OS without remembering to download your credentials first, you will loose access to your files after the upgrade.

I prefer to use Truecrypt on a whole drive (my E:'ncrypted' drive in my case).

Back
Top Bottom