Engineering Forums

In a follow-up to others. Regardless of what branch of engineering he goes for... In my internship, I learned the most at a small scale place. Gov't job. Where the head honcho took me under his wing for 3 summers and tried to expose me to as many aspects of the "trade" as possible. So, that's my advice. Get a job where there'll be lots of time to "bring up" the intern.

Specifications, contracts, Design/CAD/drafting, survey, construction/inspection, materials testing, etc.

Nothing but brain food.

The hard part for most kids is stickin' with it, and makin' it through the Calculus "weed out".

-CC

doing an internship sounds like a great idea. unfortunately, between working 48 hrs per week and attending college full time(15 credits), he may not be able to do an internship just yet. if he can find one out here on long island, that would be great. also, if it would be a paid internship, that would be even better as he can maybe work part time at the other job or even quit the other job. he is 17 so it MAY be tough/competitive to get an internship now.

we'll see if he can maybe find an internship through the career development office at the college, but i doubt that they have many internship opportunities in the program that he's in.

CCdaCE, my brother is registered for a pre-calculus class this fall semester. he did fairly well on the college's placement exam, which tested his english and math skills. i don't know how good he is in science, specifically physics.

chrisdut, i told him this as well as the admissions counselor...take as many math and science courses as you can since those will be the ones that will be transferable to other programs/colleges in the future if he decides to transfer later on. i'm not sure about the liberal arts courses (english,history, etc) being transferable to another college/university, but the math and science courses definitely are.

Brat, he did look into civil engineering, but for whatever reason he said that he was not interested in it. we'll see how it goes in the next year or so...if he decides to go into a different field or not.

i think that this is a very crucial and important time in an individual's life. from personal experience, the age between 17 and 22 were pretty hectic. there was a lot going on in my life and it was hard to focus on 'staying the course' and sticking to my game plan. even harder when your peers are doing the exact opposite. at times, it was overwhelming and i felt like i just wanted to give up and go back to being that irresponsible 12 year old that did not have a care in the world. however, i stuck it out and paid my dues. looking back at those times now seems like it was well worth the sacrifices.

Back
Top Bottom