Join Early Retirement Today

A follow-up report
Old 08-13-2012, 01:07 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

A follow-up report

Over the past 3 weeks, I had two long drives (~1300 miles) which spanned 2 days both times. We averaged 600-700 miles daily (~10-12 hours), with brief gas and rest stops and a quick lunch stop. I drove for more than 50% of the time.

I wore the psi-bands Breathe a "Psi" of Relief! | Drug Free Wrist Bands for the Relief of Nausea that I had purchased for a long ferry ride last year. I also took a Valerian capsule before bed.

And <drum roll> I am pleased to report that after these 4 'driving days' I did not suffer from the entrainment issues that had plagued me on previous long road trips.

(For the record, I opted to try the Valerian before bedtime, as some of the other items might have caused drowsiness while driving.)

Thanks for all the suggestions!

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:01 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for the thread - I didn't realize this symptom was called entrainment. I have the sensation when in water for long periods of time - I feel as though the tide is still inside me long after I've left the water - a gentle rocking senstaion. I went on a cruise last March and I felt like I was walking on the rolling ship for several days afterward - it was very weird.....

However, unlike you, I do not get motion sickness.
Old 08-18-2012, 10:35 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserat View Post
I went on a cruise last March and I felt like I was walking on the rolling ship for several days afterward - it was very weird.....
If you are fortunate enough to "get your sea legs" when you are at sea, your brain will adjust to the pitch and roll of the ship, you will compensate for it, and your balance will be better while you won't get seasick. The motion of the ship will seem normal.

If you are at sea for long enough, and have your sea legs, then when you come ashore the reverse will generally happen. You need a little time to get your land legs back. Until you do, the land will seem to be moving for a day or two because your brain has not yet been able to adjust. This might be what you are describing.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/land+legs

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote