Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-28-2019, 02:14 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Signed up yesterday for DGF, DF and I. Easy money I suppose.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2019, 05:52 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Shortly after the Equifax breach someone who had my SS number, address, etc got my Social Security deposit rerouted to their bank account. I spent about 6 months of time to get my SS payments beck (finally got it straightened out by contacting my Congressman). Working with the local SS office was AWFUL. I spent tons of time (and some money for travel, etc) straightening it out. I have many documents I can upload on the website. I am going for the full max $20,000. Doubtful I can get that much since after 6 months I finally got my back SS payments but I am going for what I can get. The Equifax breach put me through the wringer, I still have some PTSD from it.
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtail View Post
Signed up yesterday for DGF, DF and I. Easy money I suppose.
Except that the "up to $125" will probably be a lot less. The settlement caps damages so if a lot of people apply, we may be lucky to see $10.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 06:30 PM   #64
Full time employment: Posting here.

It’s the most confusing form, intentionally, I think. The amount o& time necessary to document the breach I was not aware of... it wouldn’t pay me to send them anything. But I signed up, because they said I was affected. I’ll be surprised if I get anything from them. Very sorry for anyone who suffered serious losses!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:24 AM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Except that the "up to $125" will probably be a lot less. The settlement caps damages so if a lot of people apply, we may be lucky to see $10.
I just took another look, as all I recall seeing was "$125", not anything about "up to $125", or any other caveats. Well, look at this wording ( a direct copy/paste, no emph/caps added/deleted):

https://www.ftc.gov/enforcement/case...ach-settlement

"Up to 10 years of free credit monitoring OR $125 if you decide not to enroll because you already have credit monitoring. The free credit monitoring includes:"

So I saw "OR $125", not "OR up to $125". One could argue that the "up to" refers only to years of free credit monitoring. They hire professionals to write this stuff, there are millions of dollars involved, they should add those two words to make it unquestionably clear. I think this is another case where the English language is vague, or at least most people's understanding of the English language would render this vague.

If the $125 ends up being much less, they will have another PR issue on their hands. I guess they will never learn. But I really have no practical choice in not doing business with them, do I?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:34 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyBoy View Post
I find it interesting that if you happen to be spending the year on a desert island and don't file for the money or the credit monitoring (or choose to opt out), you give up all rights to sue in the future and you get nothing.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/26/us/eq...rnd/index.html

Perhaps this is standard operating procedure? I suppose that otherwise people would be coming out of the woodwork for decades to come.
You can opt out of the class action and bring suit on your own. I don't think many people will be doing that.

Also, you can't "come out of woodwork for decades"...there are statutes of limitations to keep that from happening.
Update
Old 07-31-2019, 12:17 PM   #67
Administrator

Update

The FTC has a blog post this morning, here. This is of interest for two reasons.

First, the FTC acknowledges the possibility the $125 per person may be paid out at a much lower rate and recommends the credit monitoring option.

Second, it confirms people who chose the $125 still have the option to change and select the credit monitoring.
Quote:
For those who have already submitted claims for this cash payment, look for an email from the settlement administrator. They’ll be asking you for the name of the credit monitoring service you already have. Or, if you want to change your mind, you’ll have a chance to switch to the free credit monitoring.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:23 PM   #68
Administrator

It is entirely logical that the settlement fund would be capped. What rational company would agree to a settlement with an open ended payment? On the other hand, I was sort of hoping that Equifax would be driven out of business.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:36 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

There is a cap though. 147 million people. It doesn't look like you can file if they say you weren't affected.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

And the text in the on-line application was "Up to 10 years of free credit monitoring OR $125 if you decide not to enroll because you already have credit monitoring. The free credit monitoring includes:"

So if we switch to credit monitoring, will there be an announcement "due to the large number of applicants for credit monitoring, we have had to reduce the up to 10 year period to 7.6 days. We hope this isn't an inconvenience for you, it wasn't for us".

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MichaelB, thanks for the update.

So here's a SWAG:

147M people affected
70% never claim any part of the settlement
That leaves 44M people who claim
Half of them take the monitoring
That leaves 22M taking the cash
$31M / 22M people = $1.41 per person

Evidently, the $125 figure is based on 248K people taking the cash ($31M/$125), which is 0.17% of the 147M affected. Maybe my 15% (above) is a bit high but... 0.17%??

Perhaps the poor wording pointed out by ERD50 was intentional to get people to take the cash, which would limit the larger ongoing cost of monitoring.

I already claimed the cash, thinking it was a fixed $125 for each of us. But if 147M people all claimed the $125, it would be $18.4B, which is obviously a different universe compared to $31M. Pretty sure I'll change to monitoring when the time comes.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:06 PM   #72
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra9777 View Post
MichaelB, thanks for the update.

So here's a SWAG:

147M people affected
70% never claim any part of the settlement
That leaves 44M people who claim
Half of them take the monitoring
That leaves 22M taking the cash
$31M / 22M people = $1.41 per person

Evidently, the $125 figure is based on 248K people taking the cash ($31M/$125), which is 0.17% of the 147M affected. Maybe my 15% (above) is a bit high but... 0.17%??

Perhaps the poor wording pointed out by ERD50 was intentional to get people to take the cash, which would limit the larger ongoing cost of monitoring.

I already claimed the cash, thinking it was a fixed $125 for each of us. But if 147M people all claimed the $125, it would be $18.4B, which is obviously a different universe compared to $31M. Pretty sure I'll change to monitoring when the time comes.
My guess is your math is a reasonable look at what might happen.

The wording of the agreement (linked earlier in the thread) may be a subtle effort to push consumers into taking the award. There is no cap on the 4 years of credit monitoring, it is to be administered by a third party, and Equifax receives no compensation for the monitoring.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:12 PM   #73

I already claimed the $125 option. Has anyone gone back and changed to the credit monitoring option? If so, how did you do that?
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:19 PM   #74
Administrator

The FTC updated the settlement page as well. It dropped the $125 option completely, and in the FAQ (here) says
Quote:
5. I thought I could choose $125 instead of free credit monitoring. What happened?
The public response to the settlement has been overwhelming. Millions of people have visited this site in just the first week. Because the total amount available for these alternative payments is $31 million, each person who takes the money option is going to get a very small amount. Nowhere near the $125 they could have gotten if there hadn’t been such an enormous number of claims filed.

The free credit monitoring provides a much better value, and everyone whose information was exposed can take advantage of it. If your information was exposed in the data breach, and you file a valid claim before the deadline, you are guaranteed at least four years of free monitoring at all three credit bureaus (Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion) and $1,000,000 of identity theft insurance, among other benefits. The market value of this product is hundreds of dollars per year.

You can still choose the cash option on the claim form, but you will be disappointed with the amount you receive and you won’t get the free credit monitoring.
FAQ 6 addresses how to change the option if already filed
Quote:
6. I want to change my claim to get free credit monitoring instead of a cash payment. Can I do that?
Yes. The settlement administrator will be sending an email to people who already submitted a claim for the alternative cash payment. In that email, you will have the option to:
1) provide additional information OR
2) switch to free credit monitoring.

We will update this page with more information after the email goes out.

You also can send an email to info@EquifaxBreachSettlement.com to make a change to your claim.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:12 PM   #75

Wow. Not surprising. Word about free money travels fast nowadays.

Funny thing is... sticking with the cash settlement might still be worth something if everyone reacts to this announcement as expected. Obviously no one is going to sign up for the cash going forward. And a large chunk of the "millions of people" who already claimed cash are now going to change to monitoring. Maybe "most" of them. So the cash settlement per person is going to increase from wherever it is now, probably sub-$10. I doubt it will get back to $125, but who knows, maybe $50.

I'll still likely change to monitoring. A million of identity theft insurance might have some value.
Old 07-31-2019, 04:47 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The FTC updated the settlement page as well. It dropped the $125 option completely, and in the FAQ (here) says

FAQ 6 addresses how to change the option if already filed

That last paragraph was hilarious. “If you want to change from cash settlement to monitoring, you can send them a email at blahblah.com.” I’m trying to picture the large staff of Equifax admins who are standing by to answer, what, 20 million emails from people asking to make the change!
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:21 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
That last paragraph was hilarious. “If you want to change from cash settlement to monitoring, you can send them a email at blahblah.com.” I’m trying to picture the large staff of Equifax admins who are standing by to answer, what, 20 million emails from people asking to make the change!
"Could you please change me over to monitoring if the cash settlement is going to be under $50, otherwise please keep me in the cash program. kthxbye."
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #78

I think we get bumpkis.......
Old 08-02-2019, 07:39 PM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

I got married after the breach. I ran the tool with my married name and it says I wasn’t affected. I ran it with my maiden name and it says I was affected. I filled out the form with my maiden name but signed it with my married name. Wonder if that will screw it up...
COHgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #80

Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but according to this article it doesn't look like anyone will be getting close to $125 if they choose the cash settlement option.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/pe...ch/1900747001/

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote