Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Equifax Data Breach Settlement - FINALLY!
Old 01-21-2023, 02:10 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In late summer of 2019, we were notified of a Equifax data breach and offered an opportunity to file a claim. We did and submitted that claim on September 4, 2019. On January 19, 2023...three-years, four-months and sixteen-days later...we finally received our settlement checks. My wife and I each received $5.21!! that should just about cover a meal at McDonalds. these "settlement claims" aren't worth the time or trouble. We still have one outstanding settlement claim from Yahoo. that one dates back to December of 2019. I'm not holding my breath.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2023, 03:12 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Yeah, we got those too. Now I’m waiting for the two we have in process: an unspecified amount from T-mobile and $20 from Audi. It is definitely better to be a class action law firm than a “victim” in these cases.

The bright side is that since everyone’s information is already compromised, new hacks probably don’t add much and we get a couple of beers out of each.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
We still have one outstanding settlement claim from Yahoo. that one dates back to December of 2019. I'm not holding my breath.
I'm impressed you track them. I might file, but don't think about it again unless and until the tiny check arrives.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:30 PM   #4

I'll bet the law firm got millions. Can you find what the got?
At least you got cash, I have got a coupon before, so I could buy more of the same product.
Time2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 03:38 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
I don't track them, and actually forget if I filled for this one or not.
Best one I ever had was Facebook paying me nearly $400 for violating my privacy (which was available to IL residents).

Rest have been coffee money.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:39 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Oh, T-mobile just had another breach .. 37 million customers.

https://www.npr.org/2023/01/20/11502...stomers-stolen
Old 01-21-2023, 03:53 PM   #7

I knew this would happen. That’s why I took the option for 4 years of credit monitoring instead.
PaunchyPirate is offline   Reply With Quote
follow-up
Old 02-02-2023, 05:36 PM   #8

follow-up

We received email from whomever is handling the Yahoo! data breach asking us if we wanted our settlement to be direct deposit or paper check. the notice added that we might not be receiving any settlement. i'm not holding my breath.
Dispatcher, then shift supv, then administrator for a regional 9-1-1 call center
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 05:51 PM   #9

I gave up on Equifax after the steps to stay in the claim exceeded my difficulty threshhold. Sounds like I may have made the right choice.

I should know better any way. I've read a lot of John Grisham novels...
dixonge is offline   Reply With Quote