Join Early Retirement Today

ER = Ethanol & Retirement?
Old 05-05-2005, 06:48 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

ER = Ethanol & Retirement?

Survey question: you guys find that you're drinking more or less since ER?

Ed
gratefuled is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: ER = Ethanol & Retirement?
Old 05-05-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Less
MRGALT2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Less

JohnP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:32 AM   #4

Love great coffee but I haven't drunk any coffee in months.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:45 AM   #5

Two glasses of wine every nite, whether I need it or not. T'was the same while working.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:15 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Two glasses of wine every nite, whether I need it or not.* T'was the same while working.
Even though no one cares (or shouldn't), I am going to weigh back in.

Through my 20s, I was strictly a beer man, After I became a
"Captain of Industry" I converted to Old Fashions in the winter
and Gin and Tonic in the summer, and later this morphed into
dirty martinis and bourbon manhattans. Consumption peaked when I owned my own company and had my entire pile on the line.
Now, I am back to 2 glasses of white wine (prefer Chardonnay) before dinner and maybe one beer while I am fishing. That's it. Thus my consumption
is way down from past years.

JG
Old 05-05-2005, 10:32 AM   #7

I never was a big drinker except for occasional binges in college.
Lyn and I now enjoy a vodka and 7-up high ball before supper
and that's it.

Cheers,

Charlie
charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 10:40 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh about the same only frequency and moderation have changed.

Used to "go out with the folks from work" a few nights a week (mostly on weekends) and get half in the bag, now its a couple of glasses of wine with the wife watching a movie or a couple of beers in the afternoon while I'm doing yard work.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:34 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ
Love great coffee but I haven't drunk any coffee in months.
Oops! This one went way over my head.

I think my thought process has slowed down since the company recently "retired" me.

Love a great Cognac, but rarely go to the liquor cabinet as I don't enjoy drinking alone.

MJ
Old 05-05-2005, 05:42 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuled
Survey question: you guys find that you're drinking more or less since ER?Ed
More. I got drunk in 1969 and damn near killed myself, so I pretty much quit for many years. Now I drink when I go out with friends but I max at 2 drinks, and I am usually dancing and burning it up.* I also drink (wine) when I eat at home. The difference is I never get drunk or even close. I give myself a Jack Daniels after I finish cutting the lawn, as I figure all that exercise pretty well nullifies whatever damage the JD is trying to do to my body.

I seem to get more sex when there is drinking going on also. Maybe it blurs the lines around my eyes?

All in all, I heartily support alcohol.

Mikey
Old 05-05-2005, 06:22 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey

I seem to get more sex when there is drinking going on also. Maybe it blurs the lines around my eyes?

All in all, I heartily support alcohol.

Mikey
I don't get much sex regardless of the alcohol or lack thereof.
OTOH, if you drink enough so you don't really miss it

JG
Old 05-05-2005, 06:43 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey
Mikey - are other people involved?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 05-05-2005, 08:12 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

haha TH. I guess I asked for that.

Alone or with others, my son?
With others, Father.
Boys or girls, my son?
Girls, Father.

Why you rotten #*x@*. Get the hell out of my church!

Mikey
Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 PM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

A couple of very dark beers before supper.

Mrs. Zipper and I occasionally split a bottle of homemade red wine. :P
Zipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Mikey - I hope you know that for all of eternity everybody will always get exactly what they ask for, at least from me

Old 05-06-2005, 01:14 AM   #16

Dwink I mor or les now? burp.
I dunno.
sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Apparently I don't need it anymore?
Old 05-09-2005, 12:38 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Apparently I don't need it anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefuled
Survey question: you guys find that you're drinking more or less since ER?* Ed
Way less.

In high school & college I learned to drink like a fish. My parents always imbibed in the 1960s & 70s, including a few pre-dinner drinks and several afterward. They even let me host a "drink until we're sick" party with a few curious friends.* (I'm sure my father still regrets THAT decision.) By college a few six-packs a week was no struggle (even when I theoretically didn't have the access) and on weekends it'd go up to a six-pack a day.* I thought it was fueled by stress & boredom, but oddly enough it tailed off when I was too busy with nuclear-power school and sea duty.* (Hmmm, no stress or boredom there!)* Today I think I let myself get swept along in the peer pressure.

My drinking pretty much stopped when our kid was waking us up 3-4 times/night for her first six years. But then near the end of my working days (when she was older) I'd come home and feel that I "deserved" a beer.* Or we'd go out and I'd feel that I needed to "blow off some steam" with a few more beers.*

But in ER it's my own fault.* If I have a tough day then I don't "deserve" anything-- I shouldn't have set myself up in the first place.* And when we go out I don't feel like I have to blow off the steam-- I don't have any backpressure in the first place!* I've also enjoyed shedding 25 pounds so much that I can finally objectively choose to drink something lower in calories (like water).* And when I don't have a drink for a few weeks, after two beers I can really tell the adverse impact on my alertness, my fatigue level, and the quality of my sleep...

So the beer is mainly consumed with tacos or with my FIL.* And a six-pack lasts three or four months, even when he's helping. The tail end of the bottle usually gets poured down the sink when it goes flat.

But you can't learn to "not miss it a bit" without having gained the prodigious experience in the first place.

In a year or two we'll see if the kid & I can have a cogent conversation about congeners. With my genes and her XX chromosomes she & alcohol are in for a tough time.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 07:12 PM   #18
Recycles dryer sheets

* * Personally, since I'm not retired yet, I can't answer. (though the older I get, the less I imbibe.)
* * ...* I have an in-law who always has been a big drinker (and has a number of DUI's to prove it.)* When he retired, he moved to an area where the recreation seems to be drink till you barely stand up, then get on a boat, or in a car (we got a pretty ugly demonstration the last time we visited ... and it probably will be the last time we visit as far as I'm concerned.)
Old 05-11-2005, 10:46 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

I drink more now, still not a lot, and always off the roads. Since retirement I've taken up making my own beer, and now I'm making wine as well. I seem to give away more than I drink though. Before a 12 pack would last months, now 2-3 weeks if it's just me drinking it. However last weekend I took a case and a half to a trout fishing weekend with lots of guys, the beer was ALL consumed, I had maybe 8 in 4 days, they seemed to like the hazelnut brown ale.....Shredder
Shredder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 12:18 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Anyone that gets more than one DUI has a very, very serious problem. You get beaten about the head and shoulders so badly that anyone who would be dumb enough to get behind the wheel of a car ever again after having so much as a sip is a moron.

However, it appears to me that with all the severe and varied penalties associated with a DUI, that getting one could cause a drinking problem to occur...