Join Early Retirement Today

Re: ER Forum Cookbook -- Recipe Posting Thread
Old 01-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Or, if you were looking for their spicy chicken lettuce wraps:

8 dried shiitake mushrooms
1 tsp cornstarch
2 tsp dry sherry
2 tsp water
salt and pepper
1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken
5 Tbsp oil
1 tsp fresh minced ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 green onions, minced
2 small dried chilis, (optional)
8 oz can bamboo shoots, minced
8 oz can water chestnuts, minced
1 package cellophane Chinese rice noodles, prepared according to package

Cooking Sauce:
1 Tbsp Hoisin sauce
1 Tbsp soy sauce
1 Tbsp dry sherry
2 Tbsp oyster sauce
2 Tbsp water
1 tsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. sugar
2 tsp. cornstarch

Iceberg lettuce "cups" leaves ( I tried the Iceberg lettuce and did not like it
so I changed it to a bibb or other leaf lettuce )

Cover mushrooms with boiling water, let stand 30 minutes then drain. Cut and
discard woody stems. Minces mushrooms. Set aside. Mix all ingredients for
cooking sauce in bowl, and set aside. In medium bowl, combine cornstarch, sherry
water, soy sauce, salt, pepper, and chicken. Stir to coat chicken thoroughly.
Stir in 1 tsp. oil and let sit 15 minutes to marinate. Heat wok or large skillet
over medium high heat. Add 3 Tbsp oil, then add chicken and stir fry for about
3-4 minutes. Set aside. Add 2 Tbsp oil to pan. Add ginger, garlic, chilies(if
desired), and onion; stir fry about a minute or so. Add mushrooms, bamboo shoots
and water chestnuts; stir fry an additional 2 minutes. Return chicken to pan.
Add mixed cooking sauce to pan. Cook until thickened and hot. Break cooked
cellophane noodles into small pieces, and cover bottom of serving dish with
them. Then pour chicken mixture on top of noodles. Spoon into lettuce leaf and
Roll.

We have a pf changs AND another outfit they bought and run under a different name thats sort of a 'changs lite' with a slightly smaller menu and smaller prices. Best wonton soup I've ever had.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2007, 09:09 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuisance
Split pea soup:
In a large pot, put 8 cups of water, 1 lb of split peas, 1 sliced smoked sausage, 1 or 2 pork hocks. (For the pork hocks you can substitute any bony pork part (neck bones, shank, knuckles) but don't skip this ingredient it.) Simmer uncovered for 1 hour.
Chop up 1 large carrot, onion, and celery stalk. Add this to the broth. Also add 1 tbsp thyme, a bayleaf, some salt, and if you want a bunch of parsley all tied up. Simmer uncovered for another hour.
Fish out the bones and parsley. Serve with bread and lots of freshly ground pepper.

Tim
Old 01-30-2007, 09:10 AM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshac
So when you go fishing do you think "you know, I think I would like to catch a 110 pound fish today..." and put on heavier line, or will the normal stuff hold a fish that large?

I agree, salmon is the best. I love to BBQ it.... my fav recipe is this:

4tbs butter
4tbs dijon mustard (not stone ground)
8tbs soy sauce

I'm just guessing on the qty there, and if you have a larger filet, you'll need to scale it up... I just eyeball it =)

mix it up and put it on the fish, and put that sucker on the BBQ (you usually need a little foil 'boat' to put the fish in).... good stuff.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:11 AM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Try it 'cedar planked'. Go to the hardware store and find yourself a cedar board or shingle - make sure its untreated - wide enough for a big slab o' salmon. Cut off a long enough piece and soak it in water for at least 3-4 hours or overnight.

Fire up the grill, put your piece of salmon on the cedar plank and put it on the grill, closing the cover. Reduce heat to low or medium depending on your grill heat. The idea is to get the bottom of the plank starting to smoke.

Check the fish and remove it, plank and all, when its done. The plank keeps the fish moist, protects it from direct flame, and the wood and little bit of smoke adds nicely to the flavor. And you can use it as a cutting/serving board!

I dont marinate fish prior to cooking, I find the salt in most marinades robs the fish of a lot of its moisture. I like to make a homemade teriyaki glaze with brown sugar, real chinese soy sauce (look at the ingredients list for soybeans instead of wheat), green onions, garlic, ginger and sesame oil. Simmer it in a pan until its maple syrup consistency and paint on the planked salmon.

Another excellent recipe requires very little work. Cold sugar cured salmon.

Take a boned salmon filet with skin still attached. Rinse and pat dry. Put it in a large ziploc bag. Add equal amounts of coarse kosher salt and sugar. You can vary the 'sugar' to be white, brown, mollasses, honey, etc. I use brown sugar with a squirt of honey. You want to completely coat the fish and then some, so several cups of both for a large piece of fish is recommended. Add some green herbs if you have a taste for them...dill is good with salmon. Zip the bag, put it in a shallow pan or dish that allows the filet to lay flat. Put something large and heavy on top of it like another same-size pan with a 16oz can or something else you have inside the fridge like a big bottle of ketchup. You just want to put some pressure on the fish and squeeze it a little bit. After refrigerating a good 10-12 hours, remove from the fridge and drain out the liquid, there will be plenty. Add a little more fresh salt and sugar if you're not getting good coverage and put it back in for another 12-15 hours for cuts under an inch, 15-20 hours for thicker cuts. I usually use a 12" piece from the tail of the salmon thats not terribly thick. Remove from the fridge, rinse the filet and pat it dry.

Slice thinly on a bias and serve with toast or crackers, and cream cheese with green onions. You can also use it in recipes for salmon cakes, salmon croquettes, and soups. Lilghtly sautee some and serve it with bagels, cream cheese, thinly sliced red onions and scrambled eggs for breakfast. The salt/sugar combination removes a lot of the liquid from the salmon, cures it, keeps it relatively stable and safe to eat while refrigerated, and it'll last a week or two in the fridge once prepared this way. Yes its raw, but it has more a consistency of gravlax/cold smoked salmon without the smoke flavor.

This method works with a number of types of fish.
Old 01-30-2007, 09:12 AM   #105
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cut-Throat
When we go fishing we always know the species we are after. We never use larger than 20 lb. test leaders, even for the 100 lb. plus fish. For the Trout - we are down to 3-4 lb. test.

I've had similar receipes as yours for Salmon. I marinate mine in a mixture of Olive Oil, Soy Sauce, Garlic, wine, Salt, pepper, lemon juice, Balsamic Vinegar for 24 hours, then lightly Grill on the Barbie for about 10 -12 minutes. Yummm.

Best I ever had was in Alaska on the beach of the Ocean. Fresh Run Sockeye Salmon Grilled over an open wood fire with onions and Jalapeno peppers! To die for :P

I am leaving next Friday for Kodiak!
Old 01-30-2007, 09:35 AM   #106
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Linguine with Tuna Sauce

3-4 tbsp. minimum olive oil
2-3 cloves peeled garlic, smashed
1 can light tuna in olive oil* drained/squeezed
1-2 tsp. capers
handful black olives, pitted & chopped**
1-2 small cans chopped or 'ground' tomatoes, by eye

Linguine is the classic, but also good on spaghetti or whatever.

1. Fry garlic in oil over moderate heat until just golden. Remove garlic and discard.
2. Add tuna to oil in pan (watch out for spattering) and mash mash mash mash mash.
3. Throw in capers, olives and as much tomato product as you need to get a tuna/sauce ratio you're happy with.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes, i.e., time to get your pasta water boiling and cook the pasta.

This also freezes well, and all ingredient quantities are negotiable.

*Don't give in to the temptation of using "white" tuna or tuna packed in water, unless you like the tough texture and bland metallic taste. For real full flavor use Italian, Portuguese or Spanish tuna in olive oil. The fat is necessary for the flavor. You could even mash in an anchovy or two for extra fishiness (anchovy haters won't notice).

** Use either deli-style Kalamata-type olives where you have to remove the pit or another OK option is Trader Joe's pitted black olives in a glass jar; they are less flabby/mushy than the usual canned ones. Try not to use the Lindsay/"Black Gold" canned type or you will never taste them.

I love this dish because it's yummy AND because everything comes from the pantry!!!
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:03 AM   #107
Give me a forum ...

------------ recipes added to this point --------------

Deadline for recipe submission: 12 Noon, Jan 30 !
Old 01-30-2007, 10:06 AM   #108
Give me a forum ...

What? No special recipe brownies?

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #109
Recycles dryer sheets

Green Bean & dumpling soup:

1 can (15 oz) cut green beans
1 cup flour
2 cups heavy whipping cream
salt and pepper to taste

Pour green beans into pot along with 1 can water, bring to boil.

mix flour and pinch of salt with enough cream to make a very thick heavy paste.

Drop by teaspoonfuls into boiling pot. Continue cooking 20-30 minutes and reduce heat and let cool down from boiling (but still hot) and add remaining cream. Stir well and enjoy.

This is a Volga German favorite in these parts and can be enhanced by adding ham and/or noodles.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:31 AM   #110
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
Eh, not widdout one prescription, brah!

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:32 AM   #111

deadline deadline deadline deadline. yikes. i feel like i'm working in publishing again.

i love soup
« on: January 17, 2007, 02:10:13 PM »

my cousin and i love cabbage soup but we only finally got our hands on a good recipe when she was dating this chef a few years ago. it is precisely the flavor we we'd been looking for.

i'll show you my favorite soup recipe if you show me yours...

cabbage soup

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 large onion chopped (spoon size)
1.5 tablespoons caraway seed
4 cloves garlic minced (i add more)
1 two lb head cabbage chopped (spoon size)
1 twenty8 oz can crush or diced tomato
2 cups tomato puree (i use 2 small cans sauce)
1 cup florida crystal (unrefined sugar)
1/2 to 3/4 cup lemon juice
6 cups water or tomato juice (i go about 1/2 & 1/2)
1 teaspoon black pepper
3 bay leaves

heat oil, saute over medium high onion, caraway & garlic, add cabbage for one minute, add remaining, bring to boil
recipe says simmer one hour until tender but i like it better crunchy so i just bring to boil, simmer for 10 minutes and then let it rest. add water if too thick. enjoy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: quick and easy HEALTHY (lo-fat) recipes?
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:12:52 PM »

i do another really simple but good black bean dish, takes minutes and tastes great. beans, a bunch of scallion cut up to just smaller than bean size, diced white onion, 1 or 2 minced garlic cloves, cayanne pepper to desired heat, a pinch of salt.

you can add any vegie really, like red pepper for color. or when ready to serve drizzle some raspberry balsamic dressing (i use consorzio). and once i used the orange dressing i think it was. that was good. gonna have to get some.

i do a similar salad with whole granulation kasha (roasted buckwheat) no real recipe. i just throw in whatever vegies taste and look good. onion, red & green pepper, maybe some baby frozen peas, onion, garlic, etc. and then, while it might not be kosher on kasha, i also drizzle some consorzio over that. it gives it an unexpected but wonderful flavor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and here's one of my favorites, really easy.

curry tomato noodles

get package of asian egg noodles (usually in produce section of market)
prepare to directions slightly undercooking, set aside.

saute sliced large sliced onion to well done & some garlic (don't burn the garlic) set aside

fry noodles in large pan with some oil on high heat. burn some of the noodles just a little.

remove noodles and set aside

add to pan can of vegie broth, scraping all the flavor from bottom of pan & reduce and thicken with some tapioca or other starch or flour. flavor sauce with curry.

when sauce is almost complete add large cut up pieces of tomato, cook till tender but holding shape.

plate noodles covered in onion & pour over sauce with tomatoes.

am i in under the wire chief? roll the presses.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 10:39 AM   #112
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Chicken Spaghetti Casserole
By REWahoo!

1 cooked chicken, skinned, de-boned and cut into small pieces
2 - 16 oz cans chicken broth (or use broth from cooked chicken above)
1 - 24 oz package thin spaghetti
1 can cream of chicken or cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of celery soup
6 oz can of tomato sauce
1 lb shredded mild cheddar cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
Salt, pepper to taste

Combine chicken broth with two quarts of water in large pot, bring to boil, and cook spaghetti according to directions. Drain. Toss spaghetti with salt, pepper and garlic powder. In separate large bowl, combine soups, tomato sauce, chicken, and ¾ lb of cheese. Add cooked spaghetti, mixing thoroughly. Place in two 9 x 12 baking dishes and sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover tightly with aluminum foil and freeze (required to thoroughly blend flavor).

Cooking instructions: Place frozen in 350 oven for 30 minutes. Remove cover from dish and continue to bake until bubbly (approximately one more hour).

Serves 12.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:00 AM   #113
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR
1/4 pound butter
3/4 pound dark chocolate
1 cup raw sugar
3 large eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 pinch nutmeg
1 pinch cinnamon
2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 ounce cannabis

You might want to cook the weed in the butter and then strain out the leaves so you just have the oil.

No seeds!

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:08 AM   #114
Moderator Emeritus

Al, please don't attribute the preceeding post to me.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 AM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oops, too late. I attributed it to you, and posted it on DEA.gov by mistake. Sorry!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:22 AM   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
wtf? Well, at least you didn't give away the secret ingredient, hashish frosting walnuts.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:13 PM   #117

Quote:
Deadline for recipe submission: 12 Noon, Jan 30 !
Of what year!??!?
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 02:25 PM   #118
Give me a forum ...

OK, times up. Pencils down, eyes to the front of the room.

Brewer tried Martha's brownies, and sent me a PM asking if he could, like, send in his recipe later, so he's got until tomorrow morning.
Old 01-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Crap we're ER's and we have DEADLINES now?

AUGH!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 04:12 PM   #120
Give me a forum ...

And you're getting homework, on the topic of apostrophes.