Join Early Retirement Today

Re: ER Forum Cookbook -- Recipe Posting Thread
Old 02-20-2007, 07:58 PM   #141
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Horseradish Short Ribs

A meal in itself...err...

1 pound carrots
1 pound thin-skinned potatoes
1 onion (1/2 lb.)
1 turnip (about 1/2 lb.)
4 pounds lean beef short ribs, fat trimmed, cut into 3- to 4-inch pieces
1 cup fat-skimmed beef or chicken broth
About 1/2 cup prepared horseradish
About 1/4 pound watercress, rinsed and drained
Salt

1. Peel carrots, potatoes, onion, and turnip and cut into about 1/2-inch dice.

2. Rinse ribs, drain, and lay bone-down in a single layer in a 12- by 14-inch casserole (about 5 qt.) at least 2 inches deep. Distribute vegetables evenly around but not over meat. Pour broth and 1 1/4 cups water into casserole.

3. Coat tops of ribs with 6 tablespoons horseradish.

4. Cover casserole tightly with foil, tenting if necessary to keep foil from touching ribs. Bake in a 375º oven until meat is very tender when pierced, about 3 hours.

5. Meanwhile, break leaves from watercress and finely chop stems. Cover each separately and chill.

6. Uncover casserole and bake until ribs brown, about 10 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer ribs to a large platter and keep warm. Mix chopped watercress stems with vegetables and return to oven until watercress is slightly wilted, about 5 minutes, stirring once or twice. With slotted spoon, transfer vegetables to platter. Skim and discard fat from pan juices, then pour juices into a bowl.

7. Garnish platter with the watercress leaves. Serve the meat and vegetables with pan juices, horseradish, and salt to taste.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2007, 08:55 AM   #142
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
She walks for 12 hours straight a couple of days a week!
Is that a typo?
Old 03-18-2007, 10:10 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

No. She works 12 hour shifts at the hospital. On her feet almost the entire time on her way to...somewhere...

She wore a pedometer a couple of times and for a full shift it showed some ridiculous number like 21 miles.

and yes, she wears through a set of orthopedic shoes about every six months.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:26 PM   #144
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
No. She works 12 hour shifts at the hospital. On her feet almost the entire time on her way to...somewhere...

She wore a pedometer a couple of times and for a full shift it showed some ridiculous number like 21 miles.

and yes, she wears through a set of orthopedic shoes about every six months.
Your wife work at Sutter CFB? Mine does. She wears one of them gadgets that measures her rsteps lol. It gets up there some nights.
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 PM   #145
Give me a forum ...

Nope, small hospital up north, and changing jobs to a smaller one near our new place. Yep, the mileage does add up!

Currently she's completely unemployed for about a week. She's watching the critters and gabe while i'm moving furniture and doing major repairs to the new house.

THIS is early RETIREMENT?!? :P
Old 03-31-2007, 11:48 AM   #146
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

BBQ Beef

Open can of Hormel canned Beef and place in skillet, cover with your favorite BBQ sauce, place on bun when hot. Fast, easy, good, little cleanup. The perfect recipe!
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Rustic23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:53 PM   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic23
BBQ Beef

Open can of Hormel canned Beef and place in skillet, cover with your favorite BBQ sauce, place on bun when hot. Fast, easy, good, little cleanup. The perfect recipe!
Sounds pretty tasty. However Im betting the calories are pretty much up there
Mwsinron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #148

If the calories concern you, omit the bun.
If it is after 5:00 when I post I reserve the right to disavow anything I posted.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:11 PM   #149

Does anyone have a good recipe for Melamine Chicken?
Old 05-30-2007, 05:43 AM   #150
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Does anyone have a good recipe for Melamine Chicken?
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-melamine.htm

Link below is the best recipe website I have ever found. Enter what you are looking for and it searches a data base. All recipes have reviews. I look for ones that are 4+ stars and 50 or more reviews. Read a bunch of the reviews as people tweak them a bit, like too salty cut it iin half or make double the sauce for dipping etc.

http://allrecipes.com/Search/Recipes...thTerm=mai+tai
wallygator69 is offline   Reply With Quote
sweet potato pan pie
Old 07-12-2007, 06:38 PM   #151

sweet potato pan pie

i don't share this recipe with just anyone, ya know. got it years ago from a cousin. just made some tonight. it is soooooo goooood. mmmmmmmm.

here's what you do:

combine:

3 cups mashed sweet potato
1/3 cup brown sugar firm packed (i use a bit less)
1/3 cup skim milk
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites (beat into cooled mixture or into milk before blending)

pour into greased baking dish

in bowl knead together:

1/2 cup brown sugar firm packed (again, i use a bit less)
1/4 cup flour
1/3 cup chopped pecans (i chop partly fine & partly coarse)
2 tablespoons butter

ok, i totally cheat here and double the topping portions from what's shown above.

cover potato mixture with even layer of topping and decorate with whole peacans. do not schmush the topping down; it will fall into place during cooking.

cook 30-38 minutes at 350 degrees. let stand 10 minutes.

serve hot, room temp or chilled. delicious!

edit: this is really a recipe you have to play with. i made too much topping which i should have corrected for by doubling the potato mixture. also next time i have to remember to cut back on the sugar in both parts by at least 1/3rd.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #152
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Stream of Consciousness chef's salad:

Start with large tupperware(or similar) container
Chop up cooked meat (goat chicken beef turkey lamb)
Chop up raw veggies
Snip fresh herbs
Add wine vinegar, cold pressed vegetable oil, touch of mustard, touch of soy sauce
Put lid on container and pitch roll yaw
Chill overnight
Serve with glass of wine
Old 07-15-2007, 04:47 PM   #153

Was in a hurry with family visiting and I almost never ever cook meat (so I'm no good at it). These turned out perfectly... moist, tender, would make again.

Take a pork tenderloin, coat with olive oil, sprinkle with finely minced garlic (fresh garlic from the farm!) and herbs de provence (or italian seasoning if you prefer). Then, I rolled it in panko (use a regular bread crumb if you prefer) and placed in my roasting pan. I then mixed some panko and olive oil and packed it around the top and sides of the tenderloin.

Baked at 425 until the center read 165f, let stand for 10 minutes. Served with blanched carrots and mashed red potatoes.

Bread crumbs get toasted nicely so it presents well enough. Oil and bread help seal in the moisture of the meat.
Webzter is offline   Reply With Quote
Good Idea for Folks New to Thanksgiving Turkey Responsibilities
Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM   #154
Give me a forum ...

Good Idea for Folks New to Thanksgiving Turkey Responsibilities

BAKED STUFFED TURKEY
When I found this recipe, I thought it was perfect for people like me who are not sure how to tell when poultry is thoroughly cooked, but not dried out. Give this a try.

12-18 Lb. Turkey
1 cup melted butter
1 cup stuffing (Pepperidge Farm is Good.)
1 cup uncooked popcorn (ORVILLE REDENBACHER'S LOW FAT) Salt/pepper to taste.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush turkey well with melted butter, salt, and pepper. Fill cavity with stuffing and popcorn. Place in baking pan with the neck end toward the back of the oven.

Listen for the popping sounds. When the turkey's ass blows the oven door open it's done!

Ha
Old 01-01-2008, 05:26 PM   #155

Heath Bar!

1/2 pound Butter
1 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Almonds, finely chopped (up to 1 cup)(I used food processor and chopped fine)
1/3 cup Chocolate chips (Use Sam’s Belgian milk chocolate bar from Wal-Mart)
1 to 2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine first 3 ingredients and boil (if you melt some of the butter before you add the sugar it works better) (don’t add almonds till the sugar and butter are mixed), stirring constantly until it thickens and looks like a brown paper bag. Remove from heat stir in vanilla. Pour on no stick or greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle the chocolate on top. Let melt and spread smooth over the mixture. Let cool and harden. Break into pieces.

(I put it in the freezer for fast cooling. It took overnight to harden the chocolate when I didn’t)

These things are really easy to make, you don't need a candy thermometer, and they really taste like a Heath Bar.
Mexican Pork Chops (healthy and cheap)
Old 01-11-2008, 09:36 AM   #156
Recycles dryer sheets

Mexican Pork Chops (healthy and cheap)

1 lb. pork chops (no bone)
1 onion chopped
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles
1/2 cup salsa
2 cups corn
1 1/2 t. oregano
1/2 t. cumin

Preheat oven to 350 degrees

Brown pork chops in large skillet(sprayed with Pam) on medium high heat about two minutes on each side.

Remove pork chops and place in 3 Qt. casserole dish. Respray skillet with Pam and brown onions until tender. Add other ingredients and bring to a boil. Boil until heated through.

Pour tomato/corn mixture on top of pork chops in casserole dish. Bake, covered with foil in oven for 45-50 minutes.

Enjoy!

Each serving is about 250 calories, makes 4 servings.

I recommend serving on a bed of brown rice.
Miss_Lala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #157
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
mickeyd's Caravelle Grilled Shrimp

Ingredients:

1# large shrimp
¾ Cup Olive Oil
Juice of 4 Key limes
1t Season Salt
1t Garlic powder
1t black pepper
2t minced garlic (more to taste)
2 cups Caravelle sweet chili sauce.

Instructions:

Peal and devain shrimp. Place shrimp in shallow bowl. Combine all ingredients listed (except Caravelle sauce) in another bowl to make a marinade. Whisk to combine, and drizzle marinade over the shrimp. All shrimp must be covered by marinade in bowl. Cover w/Saran wrap. Place in refrigerator at least 1 hour.

Prepare coals on outdoor grill ½ hour before grilling. Prepare cooking basket with foil on one side. Arrange shrimp in basket on foil. Paint Caravelle sauce directly on shrimp. Place on indirect outdoor grill for 8-10 minutes. Remove from indirect grill, paint more Caravelle sauce on shrimp and place directly over charcoal fire for 2 minutes.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:22 AM   #158

Noodles with veggies and ham

Sorry, I don't have a better name for this recipe. Nor am I exactly sure on the proportions (measuring is for sissies). However, to the best of my knowledge, this is roughly what went into dinner last night. It turned out well.

16 oz fusilli pasta
ham, diced (I probably used about 2 cups)
5 oz chevre goat cheese
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 carrots, cut into sticks
2 medium zucchini, cut into sticks
parsley (probably about 1/4 cup) chopped fine
basil, fresh and chopped fine or dried.. to taste, I probably used about 2 tablespoons dried.
ground pepper to taste

Boil the pasta until al dente (about 10 minutes). Reserve about a cup of the noodle water and drain the rest.

In a separate saucepan, heat a few tablespoons of oil over medium heat. Sauté the garlic for about 1 minute. Add the ham and continue for about a minute. Lower the heat to medium-low and add the carrots and zucchini. Cover and steam for about 10 minutes until the carrots are tender. Remove the cover. Add the goat cheese, parsley and and mix well. Add the noodles and combine. If the dish feels a little dry, mix in some of the noodle water.

Serve.

Feeds 4ish.

A few tips on making this.
- The trick with the garlic is to get the oil hot enough that it sautés well but doesn't caramelize. Just watch it and react accordingly.

- When cooking pasta, I get the water to a boil and then add about 1-2 tablespoons of salt. I always reserve about a cup of water after I'm done (just lay a 2-cup measuring cup on it's side and you've got enough). You can add it back in with your sauce if you need to loosen the pasta.

- To make sticks, cut your veggie into 2 inch lengths, then cut it lengthwise into 3rds and then rotate it and cut it into 3rds again. You'll have fairly good looking sticks quickly! It's a great alternative to chopping as it gives a nicer presentation, in my opinion.

- This is a great vegetarian dish if you just remove the ham. That's actually how I generally make this dish.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 AM   #159

1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
2 tsp. water
1 tsp. Karo syrup
1/2 c. chopped almonds
1 12 to 16 oz chocolate bar (I use Hershey Symphony)

Melt butter in saucepan. Pour in sugar, add water, syrup and almonds. Bring to hard crack stage, 290 degrees on medium heat, stir constantly. Pour on buttered or non-stick cookie sheet. On top of toffee spread the chocolate while still warm (heat from mixture will melt it). Allow to completely cool before breaking into pieces.

You can also add 2 teaspoons of vanilla after taking it off the heat.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:33 PM   #160

Is there a difference between Irish stew and beef stew?