Ernie Banks, Chicago Cubs

The comment from the bartender (who I have known for 20 yrs) were made long before Ernie passed away. His comment is not malicious. Just an observation from somebody in the service profession who appreciates a $ tip.

Again, nobody is perfect (not even Ernie).

FWIW, he has met other sports personalities (baseball, golf, football and hockey) and for the most part, is very complimentary towards them. His stories are very interesting (at least to me they are).

That could be it as well, we will probably never know.

But as others have mentioned, he probably was not a wealthy man. Ball players didn't make big bucks back then, and endorsements were not so lucrative as today. Compared to a Micheal Jordan level of comp, maybe he just figured he better grab whatever crumbs he can?

-ERD50

In 1956, Don Larson pitched a perfect game in the World Series for the Yankees. He was on the dream team with Yankee greats like Mantle, Yogi Berra, Moose Skowren, Cary, etc. Several years back when the All Star game was going to do a tribute (can't remember which year) for the old timers, they could not track down Don. Eventually they found him in San Diego selling his memorabilia on eBay. They asked him to come for the event and he said he didn't have the money for transportation. They paid, he came and you know the rest of the story.

These guys were not paid much and many drifted off into obscurity.

The comment from the bartender (who I have known for 20 yrs) were made long before Ernie passed away. His comment is not malicious. Just an observation from somebody in the service profession who appreciates a $ tip.

Again, nobody is perfect (not even Ernie).

FWIW, he has met other sports personalities (baseball, golf, football and hockey) and for the most part, is very complimentary towards them. His stories are very interesting (at least to me they are).

Sorry, this tells me this bartender is really just a gossip, when imo he should respect the privacy of people who are drinking. He will also tell stories about you too if they are interesting so behave yourself :LOL:

(I don't really care if Ernie Banks tipped this person well or was the biggest cheapskate ever.)

When Ernie starting playing, that was a very different era. He came up in the 1950's during segregation and before baseball free agency.

Today, just coming out of the minors, players with minimum salaries get paid more anyone in the 1950's.

It's fascinating to listen to stories on how he and teammate Billy Williams had to travel not with the team (once again, segregation) but instead, stay at a home that maybe the ball club had arranged.

As for Chicago sports icons, probably Ernie is probably only second to Da Coach.

Back
Top Bottom