Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Euthanizing the family pet
Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Euthanizing the family pet

What a crappy day,Looks like our family cat for the past 10yrs has lost her battle with diabetes.what used to be a 10lb frisky fun pet has deteriorated to a 5lb lifeless cat that justs lays on the floor waiting for death,at first she just had some rear leg mobility issues but was still able to get to food and litter box,last week she stopped eating and drinking and no longer moves at all,picking her up she feels like a rag doll so this weekend we made the hard choice that its in her best interest to be euthanized as the vet says there is no way her condition will improve and spending hundreds of dollars to keep her at the vets on life support will only be postponing the inevitable.
God speed Tiger
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2008, 07:17 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm sorry. I too lost a cat to diabetes 17 years ago. It's never easy to lose a buddy.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:20 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Sorry about your feline family member. There are occasional posts here over similar sad events, so you're not alone. It hurts a lot to lose a beloved pet. Just take comfort in all the good years you gave one another.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

I am so sorry to hear this. Losing a pet is so hard!

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 07:31 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I'm so sorry for you and your family. Since she has no quality of life, you are making the kindest decision for her. Still, this doesn't make it much easier. Try to focus on the good times with Tiger and know you gave her a good life. There are so many homeless animals many of which will never know love and comfort. Tiger is one of the lucky ones.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:32 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

I am sorry to hear about your loss. It is so hard to watch our pets suffer and also hard to make that decision to end their pain. I recently lost my 16 yr old dog and the pain is still there. Give yourself a big hug and know that the suffering is over. Your cat was so blessed to have you.
Cruisinthru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:07 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

You did the right thing. No need for a pet to suffer. Sorry for your loss.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

jambo,
I'm sorry to hear of the loss of your pet. Best of luck to all of you as you remember Tiger fondly, know you did the right thing, and let the healing begin.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 09:22 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

I had to do the same a year ago. Our cat at 19 years had enough. My 5 year old and 4 year old were heartbroken. They kept saying "don't do it, don't do it". Tough thing for this Dad to do. Hurt the family all around. Took me about 9 months to stop looking down when I walked in the house (didn't want to trip over her).

It does get better and is actually pretty nice right now to be pet free. A dog though maybe in the cards soon.
StJohnsWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:44 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

My condolences as well. We've lost two cats in the last nine months, and the house just doesn't feel right without them.
Kronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

So sorry to hear about Tiger.

I went though this back in April with one of my dogs. It's a very difficult decision to make. It still hurts to think about her. But, finally you know that it's best to let them go. I'll be thinking of you.
Old 06-09-2008, 04:20 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
I too am sorry for your loss jambo.

As the father of the family it has always been my "duty" to put down any valued family pet (mostly dogs and cats but a few birds too) and I have never understood why the duty has always fallen to me but I have accepted it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

So sorry. Sounds like you have a kind vet who is putting your cat's best interests first, as you are.
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

I feel for you Jambo.

I have a schnauzer who is just beginning the slide. Its a fine line between quality time and suffering. In the end I hope we get it right.

Mickeyd: You have my total admiration, I freely admit I am not strong enough, fortunately my DW is...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 06:58 PM   #15

So sorry for your loss

We went through the same thing with my kitty that had diabetes; she developed trouble walking and had lost a significant amount of weight, too. It's a tough disease to manage. Thankfully you have a vet who is understanding and helped you make the difficult, but right choice.

(55, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 59. FIRED 12/31/19!)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 06:03 AM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

sorry to hear about your pet...I just went through the same 2 weeks ago and it hurts...I hope you have a lot of pictures and memories when she was healthy...