Join Early Retirement Today

Even Congress is laughing.................
Old 07-05-2006, 05:57 PM   #1

Even Congress is laughing.................

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Even Congress is laughing.................
Old 07-05-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek

I wonder how many folks will be outraged at Mr. Rangel's racest comments. Don't look for the NYT to feature any articles or opinions about it.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyd
I wonder how many folks will be outraged at Mr. Rangel's racest comments. Don't look for the NYT to feature any articles or opinions about it.

It was not a racist comment. Far from it. He did not say that whites were inferior. He said that 'white supremacy was a myth'. IOW - white's were not superior race.

If you believe otherwise, then you would be the racist.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:52 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
It was not a racist comment. Far from it. He did not say that whites were inferior. He said that 'white supremacy was a myth'. IOW - white's were not superior race.

If you believe otherwise, then you would be the racist.
No, it is racist. What it does is cast White People as racists by referring to an old stereotype of White People held by non-whites, of Whites fancying themselves as superior based soley on race.

It'll slide because it's comes off with a funny little twist in that Archie Bunker/Fred Sanford kind o' way we've gotten sued to over the years

But it is racist. Altho individual exceptions only prove the rule and reinforce the stereotype. The old saw about one exception and the stereotype has been disproved is simply incorrect by logic.

razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 06:56 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Consumer Reports says wild salmon tastes better and has a firmer texture than farm raised, and that farm raised has too high a concentration of pcb's and dioxins.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
No, it is racist. What it does is cast White People as racists by referring to an old stereotype of White People held by non-whites, of Whites fancying themselves as superior based soley on race.

It'll slide because it's comes off with a funny little twist in that Archie Bunker/Fred Sanford kind o' way we've gotten sued to over the years

But it is racist. Altho individual exceptions only prove the rule and reinforce the stereotype. The old saw about one exception and the stereotype has been disproved is simply incorrect by logic.

That and the fact that whites were not held in slavery for the first 80 years or so of this country's history.
And that groups like the Aryan Nation have proclaimed 'White Supremacy' for decades. Hardly a case that this Congressman is mentioning it 'out of the blue'.

You stand corrected!
Old 07-05-2006, 07:11 PM   #7

Quote:
That and the fact that whites were not held in slavery for the first 80 years or so of this country's history.
And that groups like the Aryan Nation have proclaimed 'White Supremacy' for decades. Hardly a case that this Congressman is mentioning it 'out of the blue'.

You stand corrected!
You didnt read one word of what I said. And certain people wonder why I leave for long periods of time/
WHat you said is totally irreeveny to the question of racists remarks Rangle's in particular. It's like invading Mexico or Iraq as a reaction to 9/11. WHy did you saiy when it was mindless? I will not waste time expecting an "Answer".

Also.. Blacks still practice slavery. They also have their version of KKK and Aryan Nation.

Whne I'm wrong someone can correct me. YOU dont have the goods or the reading ability
razztazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz
You didnt read one word of what I said. And certain people wonder why I leave for long periods of time/
WHat you said is totally irreeveny to the question of racists remarks Rangle's in particular. It's like invading Mexico or Iraq as a reaction to 9/11. WHy did you saiy when it was mindless? I will not waste time expecting an "Answer".

Also.. Blacks still practice slavery. They also have their version of KKK and Aryan Nation.

Whne I'm wrong someone can correct me. YOU dont have the goods or the reading ability
I'll save this quote so you can read it tomorrow. :
Old 07-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Consumer Reports says wild salmon tastes better and has a firmer texture than farm raised, and that farm raised has too high a concentration of pcb's and dioxins.
That's exactly my take. Farm-fed salmon have been assuming right along that they were automatically superior, and all CU is saying is that wild salmon finally have some tangible evidence that the gig is up.

One of my best friends in college was a wild salmon. Spent years thanklessly swimming up-stream year after year. No help from his parents. Finally spawned 47,384 kids one fateful night. He died shortly thereafter (lox).

He'd be proud to know that finally someone recognizes his kind as the firm, toxin-free, big, tasty oily fish that they are.

P.S. For the record:

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:10 PM   #11
Administrator

Old 07-05-2006, 08:17 PM   #12
Full time employment: Posting here.

Pass me the salmon, Ella.
bpp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Rangel is a Democrat. Bush is a Republican.

Duh.

heh heh heh heh heh heh - all is fair in love and politics or something like that - besides we don't seem to get much beyond sound bites nowadays.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2006, 08:18 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Finally spawned 47,384 kids one fateful night. He died shortly thereafter (lox).

I thought it just made you go blind.
Old 07-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder how loud Congress and Cut-Throat would be laughing if George Bush had said the same thing about Charles Rangel?

Mr. President, what do you think of Charles Rangel?

Well, I really think he shatters the myth of black supremacy once and for all.

Somehow I don't think Congress and Cut-Throat would find that response all that funny. Double standard?
Old 07-05-2006, 08:44 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Good one rich.

"Some of my best friends are wild salmon!"
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 05:46 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusk_to_dawn
I wonder how loud Congress and Cut-Throat would be laughing if George Bush had said the same thing about Charles Rangel?

Mr. President, what do you think of Charles Rangel?

Well, I really think he shatters the myth of black supremacy once and for all.

Somehow I don't think Congress and Cut-Throat would find that response all that funny. Double standard?

No because Rangel isn't as stupid as Bush is.

Also, if blacks held whites in slavery in this country for 80 years or so, and blacks discriminated against whites, it would be a legitimate statement. You don't seem to grasp the blacks struggle for civil rights. Do you?
Old 07-06-2006, 06:10 AM   #18

I think the statement is racist in the fact that a person of one race made a disparaging remark about a member of another race. Regardless of what race each person is.

Racism is like sexual harrrassment, in that there are varying degrees of it, and it means different things to different people. For instance, if a boss told his secretary that she looked pretty, or that was a nice sweater, that could actually be taken as harrassment! But it's still a far cry from a boss saying "Nice tits", or other leud remarks, or coming on to her, or flat out telling her that if she doesn't start taking dick-tation that she'll lose her job.

As far as this remark about George Bush, hell, I thought it was funny! My co-worker is a Bush-hugger and easily offended, and I'd be soooo tempted to show it to her! It would piss her off quite nicely. But then she doesn't get humor. She doesn't get a lot of things in life. She doesn't understand why homeless people beg and panhandle because "there's government assistance for those people". She also doesn't understand why the deer don't just stay in the woods and farms, and off the roads where they get run over. She also doesn't understand why one black person can call another the N-word, but a white person shouldn't. And my favorite is that she doesn't understand why other drivers feel the need to "show her the finger" as they pass her. I've seen her driving though, so I DO understand. :

So in short, she would think it's racist. Very racist. But I guess it takes all types to make the world go around. Now if Mr. Rangel made a comment about Dubya being proof that all white people are stupid, or that all white people should be exterminated. Or rounded up and sent back to Europe. And if he said it in a serious tone, as opposed to something you might hear on Dave Chappel's show, then I'd take offense. But as it stands, I thought it was funny!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 06:43 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I think the statement is racist in the fact that a person of one race made a disparaging remark about a member of another race.* Regardless of what race each person is.
I agree.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:55 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre1969
I think the statement is racist in the fact that a person of one race made a disparaging remark about a member of another race.* Regardless of what race each person is.
So it is racist for any individual to criticize for any reason, valid or not, someone of a different race? How far down does this racial/ethnic classification go in this context? Can a Polish white person criticize an Italian white person? Can a Northern Italian criticize a Southern Italian? Can a man from Pisa criticize a person from Florence (Tuscan neighbors, and boy do they look down on each other!)? What are the rules?!
Robert the Red is offline   Reply With Quote