Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-30-2019, 05:58 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

We bought a Tuft & Needle 3 years ago. Love it.
OldConch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2019, 06:03 PM   #22
Recycles dryer sheets

I bought one off amazon to replace the crappy one in my RV, 8" i think it was $300 +/- its alot better than i expected i sleep good in it, home mattress is a 20 year old sleep number really comfortable.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Ever Bought a “Bed in a Box” (Online Only)?
Old 05-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Ever Bought a “Bed in a Box” (Online Only)?

Bought a Casper. Returned/donated it three weeks later. Went to the store to look at Purples. Ended up with a wonderful Stearns and Foster floor model that’s the best mattress I’ve ever slept on.

The experience with Casper was a positive one, we just didn’t like the mattress. Would recommend trying it if interested. Purples were comfortable and interesting, but we went another direction.
Now I'm gonna live in a world like that!" - World Like That, O.A.R.
nash031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 07:10 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
We've bought 3, all work great.
+1 purchased several
(had white glove delivery) no issues at all.
Old 05-30-2019, 09:04 PM   #25
Full time employment: Posting here.

I would be concerned with heat from a foam/purple/bed in a box mattress. I sleep hot. Has the heat bothered anyone with one of those mattresses?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:32 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnieboy View Post
I would be concerned with heat from a foam/purple/bed in a box mattress. I sleep hot. Has the heat bothered anyone with one of those mattresses?
DW thinks our new one sleeps hot. However, this is our first ever memory foam mattress (well, foam and spring hybrid) so we don't have a lot of experience with it yet.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:42 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don’t have one, but the Purple reportedly sleeps cooler. The original Purple mattress is not like a foam, latex or mem foam mattress in that it has an open grid elastomer layer near the top. They also sell a hybrid elastomer-innerspring model which should be cooler. FWIW.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 07:44 AM   #28

When you get 100 nights to sleep on it with no obligation (Casper and others offer this), why wouldn't you give it a try?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:47 AM   #29

Can you still buy a waterbed? Laughed when thinking of waterbeds. Like sleeping on a boat on the water....

In fact, all our beds came from a box. Amazon for all 5 mattresses in our house (2 adults, 3 kids). The last 3 have been hybrid inner spring/latex mattresses. Very comfy. Olee Sleep 13" Hybrid is the brand. Very reasonable price.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:16 AM   #30
Gone but not forgotten

I bought a mattress online years ago when we were doing an interstate move . It worked out perfectly and I loved the mattress .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:29 AM   #31

DW bought a Zinus from Sam's Club. It came in a tall box about two feet on a side. She got it out and had a note "this mattress knows Kung Fu", hehe! When she cut the plastic, it did suddenly "kick" out to a 10 inch or so thick queen size inner spring. I slept on it once (it's in the guest bedroom) and it seems fine.
sengsational is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 10:17 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
We bought Casper mattresses about three years ago and we love them.
+1 - We are totally sold on this product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by socca View Post
I bought a memory foam mattress 4 years ago. I still like it. The outgassing after inflation seemed to last a few weeks rather than a few days as promised by the manufacturer. If I were to buy another one, I would stick it in a separate room for at least a couple of weeks to fully outgas before using it.
+1 - Not a reason not to get one, but just be aware. Did not bother DW, but I noticed.

Quote:
No issues with sleeping hot with Casper.
Chapter 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Was skeptical but spent $1K on an Amerisleep mattress a little over a year ago. Best mattress I've ever owned; best sleep. Had a really good return policy. Compared just about every "bed in a box" and narrowed it down to Amerisleep. So happy!

Coz

No smell/gassing
no hot spots
no nesting to this point
COZICAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 01:17 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

My son recommended tuft and needle. We tried it and then bought a second for another home. Luv them. Jmho
Old 05-31-2019, 01:51 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

We must be outliers when it comes to mattresses. We have the same mattress purchased 25 years ago after our previous (and first) mattress was lost by movers. The mattress is essentially just like new. No sags, not even around the edges. No stains. Just like new.

We've slept on many many other mattresses in hotels and at friends' when on vacation, so I don't think we are missing out on anything. Our mattresses are something we just don't think about at all.

Are we just weird? Anybody else like us?
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #36

Both of my kids have and they turned out well. I don’t remember what brands they are however. They were purchased off of Amazon...
Old 05-31-2019, 03:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
Are we just weird? Anybody else like us?
At least two more anyway. We still have the same mattress for oh, 25 years or so, I forget exactly when we bought it. No complaints with it.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:50 PM   #38
Administrator

I am a fan of natural latex mattresses and after a 20 year relationship with a beloved Englander I replaced it with a Sleep On Latex model ordered online and shipped on a truck. Love it. It's worth noting that these can be heavy... depending on the size, you might need some help getting it off your front porch and into your bedroom.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:04 PM   #39

I bought a Leesa memory foam mattress about three years ago as a Christmas present. It was fascinating how a box that fit under our tree could expand into a King size mattress. The low price was also a big bonus.

Unfortunately, after giving it a few weeks I was not impressed.

First, the smell was unbearable. Even after three weeks it was still enough to burn my eyes and nose. That made sleeping difficult and it couldn't have been healthy.

Second, sleeping on memory foam was like sleeping in quicksand. It was comfortable until we tried to move. The bed sucked in around us, making it difficult to turn over or push off to get out of bed.

It was also warm to sleep on, even in the middle of winter.

And let's just say it added complications to whoopie.

I really tried to like it, but after three weeks I couldn't take it anymore. I called the company and asked for a refund. I expected this brand new mattress to be donated to charity or something, but they sent out the 800-Got-Junk folks to haul it away as garbage. It was clear from the way they threw it around in the dirt and gravel they had no intention of donating it. I appreciated the refund, but that seemed like a huge environmental waste.

Also, the memory foam mattress had no structure inside. So trying to move it was like wrestling a 60 pound silly putty snake.

I know memory foam mattresses are the new "thing" these days, but I would never buy one again. Perhaps it was just a bad model, but my first impression was not a good one.

For what it's worth, my mom bought a top of the line Tempurpedic memory foam mattress (thousands of dollars) and has all the same complaints I had with ours.
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 11:47 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I'm interested in this too as we are due for a new matress and have little competition locally. I saw an ad for one recently and am curious about it.

I can relate a good experience with Costco. A couple years ago we bought a king-sized foam mattress in a box from Costco. They had a small sample about the size of a kitchen table in the store. We both laid on it and DW likes it... I can sleep on just about anything... so DW decided that she wanted it.

It comes in a sturdy box that was about the size of a narrow washing machine... fairly heavy but the box has wheels for easier transport. So we buy it, put it in the Outback and take it to the condo. I wheel/drag it up to the second floor (no elevators) and into the condo.

You open the box and cut the banding and it flops out into the size of a king size mattress... many times the original size... in 1/2 hour or so it fluffs up and is all set to go.

We sleep on it a couple nights and DW decides that she doesn't like it... too firm.

So I call Costco and explain it to them and they say bring it back. I say that there is no way for me to stuff it back into the box. They laugh and say no need to just bring it back.

So now I wait until a Sunday morning in the hopes of lighter traffic. I can't get it down the stairs... but I can flop it over the railing to the ground below. It barely fits on the Outback roof rack but we get it up there and tie it down. A slow drive in light traffic to Costco... load it on a flat dolly and wheel it in the store.

I insisted that DW finish the return... too embarassing for me.
Had the same experience, only I got the toothpaste back into the tube. The new mattress we bought came in a huge plastic bag, so I stuck the old Costco mattress in the bag and hooked a vacuum cleaner to it. It sucked right back down to the packed size. I tied a couple of ropes around it and hustled it back to Costco before it re-expanded. The old mattress was a lot easier to handle when it was compressed - I just rolled it to my SUV and flipped it into the back.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote