Join Early Retirement Today

Everyday of my life
Old 05-29-2007, 10:40 AM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Everyday of my life

The reason Im on this site so much.

http://tinyurl.com/yp6fjx
Deetso is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HA! I remember after graduating a great number of my friends went out to Silicon Valley. They raved about how great the weather and ameneties were. After more than a minute's conversation, you come to find out: they live in a box; they commute in a box (car); they work in a box -- completely artificial environment from when they wake up to when they go to bed. They barely ever see the sun or the orange or avocado trees in the yard that their 60-80-100 hour work-weeks purchased; if they want the house or garden looked after they hire others; a lot of them opted for the no-maintenance condo anyway.

They had zero contact with anyone outside this restricted circuit.

Nobody walks in LA (or San Jose). Nobody has time to go to the park, and if they do they feel, rightly or wrongly, depending, they have to contend with homeless and drug addicts. If one wants to see friends or catch a movie, a 45-minute commute was "normal".
Nobody eats outside (or at least no more so than in the chilly NE- this was my experience).

The allure of it all evaded me.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 11:22 AM   #3

i'd consider working again if only i could find a job where i didn't have to shave, could work from my house and work all day in my underwear. oh, wait, that was my last job.

"life should begin with age and its privileges and accumulations, and end with youth and its capacity to splendidly enjoy such advantages."~~mark twain - letter to edward kimmitt 1901
lazygood4nothinbum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I printed out that Dilbert strip this morning and plan to keep it someplace that I can easily see it...just in case I'm ever strongly tempted to jump back in with all those rats still racing around out there.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:08 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
HA! I remember after graduating a great number of my friends went out to Silicon Valley. They raved about how great the weather and ameneties were. After more than a minute's conversation, you come to find out: they live in a box; they commute in a box (car); they work in a box -- completely artificial environment from when they wake up to when they go to bed. They barely ever see the sun or the orange or avocado trees in the yard that their 60-80-100 hour work-weeks purchased; if they want the house or garden looked after they hire others; a lot of them opted for the no-maintenance condo anyway.
The allure of it all evaded me.
I chose a programming job in Los Angeles over those in Sunnyvale in 1979
after interviewing here in December, and walking along the strand in 80 degree
weather seeing the sights.My experience here was much different than your friends.

I did work in a box, but only 40 hours/week (except those rare periods when paid
overtime was authorized). I have almost always commuted by bicycle, worn
shorts / tshirts / sandals at work, and worked the hours I like. My retirement
7 months ago was precipitated by the imposition of an awful new work
environment by top management.

I realize that many professions have more limitations, but I think programmers live
the life that they choose. Many of my ex-coworkers submitted to demands for
tons of unpaid overtime, excess travel, etc., and never seemed to realize that they
could resist / ignore these demands, going to new positions if possible.
Old 05-29-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nobody walks in LA (or San Jose).
Not true in the beach communities.
Quote:
Nobody eats outside (or at least no more so than in the chilly NE- this was my experience).
Again, in Hollywood, west along Sunset, Malibu plenty of people eating outside.

Ha
Old 05-29-2007, 06:30 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

My first job w/ my megacorp was N. Los Angeles north to Santa Barbara - 1983--wish I had invested in property! While my job in pharma ... visiting/selling to Drs all up the coast is alot different than a cube - I had some of the best years of my life living in Manhatten beach. My car rarely moved after my 8 calls on Friday...till Monday. I biked,walked and crawled every where else I needed to go. But, I wanted to own/invest in a house as soon as I had the cash for a downpayment....so I moved inland to the edge of my territory.....20/20....I should have saved and bought a fixer cracker box, because my home in Rancho Cucamunga never really felt like home - I would spend time in my old haunts as often as possible.
Old 05-30-2007, 04:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingInvestor View Post
I think programmers live the life that they choose. Many of my ex-coworkers submitted to demands for tons of unpaid overtime, excess travel, etc., and never seemed to realize that they could resist / ignore these demands, going to new positions if possible.
You are so right--I shouldn't have generalized. What I reported were just the lifestyles of the 6-8 people I kept in limited contact with. Good for you for recognizing the need for balance!

As far as the LA area goes, you can keep it. Ocean swimming seemed discouraged for various reasons (pollution? -maybe it is cleaner now), and while I did eat outside near the beaches, in town it was an iffy proposition.. my eyes were burning and the air was yellow.
Old 05-30-2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Deetso,

Couldn't agree more.

I'm fortunate in that I telecommute fulltime, so I don't have to drive where I don't want to and can work in my boxers, but the day is still filled with corporate B.S.

John
Old 05-30-2007, 02:37 PM   #10

Quote:
As far as the LA area goes, you can keep it. Ocean swimming seemed discouraged for various reasons (pollution? -maybe it is cleaner now), and while I did eat outside near the beaches, in town it was an iffy proposition.. my eyes were burning and the air was yellow.
I think appreciation of the LA area is tied to what your hobbies are. It is much
better for cyclists than for swimmers. The air is much better than it used to be. I
remember one day in 1986, I was descending into Riverside from the eastern
mountains, and there was a layer of brown smog so thick it looked like dirt. I
kept thinking "that'll be fun to breathe for the next 3 hours" (until I got closer to
the coast).
Old 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Dont trust any air you cant see!

I violated all of ladelfinas rules when I lived in the bay area. I enjoyed the heck out of the great weather, nice parks and took lots of walks while constantly feeling thrilled that I was no longer freezing my butt off in new england.

But it IS stupid expensive, and it IS stupid crowded, and commutes DO stink. But dang...the job opportunities are really good, and theres a heck of a lot to do.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 12:36 AM   #12

I didn't make any rules! I'm glad for you that you got to enjoy yourself-I just got the vibe of excessive striving and little enjoyment. I like the sound of "beach communities", though. Maybe when I hit the lottery or come up on my 5th million.

Forgot to mention my BIL got stopped by the cops in LA..
..because of his suspicious behavior -> walking. ;-)

--
Any time I ever moaned to her about my job / clients, my Protestant mom gave me a steely look and said "that's why they call it WORK." Anyway, Deetso, buck up.. there IS a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 05-31-2007, 11:20 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

One of my favorite "sayings" is "If it was fun, they wouldn't call it work"...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 03:26 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I realize that many professions have more limitations, but I think programmers live
the life that they choose. Many of my ex-coworkers submitted to demands for
tons of unpaid overtime, excess travel, etc., and never seemed to realize that they
could resist / ignore these demands, going to new positions if possible.
Agreed. About a month ago DH had enough of his micromanaging boss, 60+ hour weeks, the inane decisions that were being made without his input (though he was ostensibly the "project manager"), and the repeated promises that life would get better "in a few months". After a particularly insane week where a disaster he predicted (and was ignored) came to pass, resulting in two 30 hour shifts in 5 days, he called a headhunter that has been checking up on him. 2 weeks ago he accepted a new coding gig for fewer hours, a shorter commute and more money. It's been entertaining to watch current boss grovel and make even more promises of impending improvements. The creme de la creme is when I came by to take DH to lunch last friday and he started sucking up to me! Ahhh, Schadenfreude...
OKLibrarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #15

Quote:
I think appreciation of the LA area is tied to what your hobbies are. It is much
better for cyclists than for swimmers. The air is much better than it used to be. I
remember one day in 1986, I was descending into Riverside from the eastern
mountains, and there was a layer of brown smog so thick it looked like dirt. I
kept thinking "that'll be fun to breathe for the next 3 hours" (until I got closer to
the coast).
thankfully the air in LA is quite a bit better than it was in 86.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:00 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
thankfully the air in LA is quite a bit better than it was in 86.
"Stage three smog alert: that's when you're dead but you're still coughing."
-Johnny Carson