Examples of current inflation - add yours!

I have a blender to return to Amazon. Weighs about 9 lbs. I could drive to a UPS Store but think I will just walk (about 1 mile away) figuring, save a bit on gas and exercise at the same.

I was thinking about back in college and something like carrying a 9 lb item and walking a mile or two was a no-brainer.

I have a blender to return to Amazon. Weighs about 9 lbs. I could drive to a UPS Store but think I will just walk (about 1 mile away) figuring, save a bit on gas and exercise at the same.

I was thinking about back in college and something like carrying a 9 lb item and walking a mile or two was a no-brainer.

We now have a choice to have one of the carriers come and pick up returns. Hopefully, you get that option soon.

My property taxes went DOWN 1 percent this year. ! Knock on wood, batten down the hatches, Katie bar the door, enter the fallout shelter!

Last edited:

Yeah, my books weighed that much. I lost 16 pounds my first semester at college. I had a lab that started 10 minutes after my math class. The lab was about a mile away. I was rarely more than a minute or two late. Heh, heh, not anymore. YMMV

The water bill (and sewage)

We get billed every 2 months. Our meter includes our granny flat - which has 3 people living in it. Last year we had both sons living at home for the billing period. This year, only hubby and I (plus the 3 tenents).

It went up over $100/2 months YOY
Our usage was 60% of last year.

This is because some of the fixed fees increased dramatically to pay for our "toilet to tap" project. And because the HCF fees also went up dramatically this year.

We do very little irrigation - mainly drip lines on our fruit trees. No pool. We practice "yellow is mellow" habits.

$359/2 months.

Just got our H2O sewage bill, ours is three months 294 for 10990 gallons. Standard rate ~250. We water lots…. Spend $$ on plants, got to keep them alive😂 I use the mellow method too, maybe change brown down to :confused::confused::confused::confused:?

Yeah, my books weighed that much. I lost 16 pounds my first semester at college. I had a lab that started 10 minutes after my math class. The lab was about a mile away. I was rarely more than a minute or two late. Heh, heh, not anymore. YMMV

I was rarely late for classes too. Now I wonder how the heck did I make it to class in time. Some classes were across campus with only about 10 minutes in-between. Even in winter.

I'm re-employing my strategy from the days of the late 70's rampant inflation. Once in a while a product I regularly use goes on sale, and then I buy a lot of 'em. I still have 5 packages of Bay's English Muffins in the freezer from a recent sale price, now have 6 bottles of Ken's dressing, etc. Of course, my Smart Balance margarine used to be readily available for $3 or so, it's now up to $4.

I'm re-employing my strategy from the days of the late 70's rampant inflation. Once in a while a product I regularly use goes on sale, and then I buy a lot of 'em. I still have 5 packages of Bay's English Muffins in the freezer from a recent sale price, now have 6 bottles of Ken's dressing, etc. Of course, my Smart Balance margarine used to be readily available for $3 or so, it's now up to $4.

Heh, heh, I never quit doing the stock-up-on-sale after the Stagflation of the '70s/80s. I even read a book on it back in the 70s.

One of my hobbies is cruising second hand shops like Habitat ReStore. In the last month or so, they have raised their prices significantly. Not that it is going to break me, but I was kind of surprised at the jump.

Went to Dennys, first time in a long time. It appeared that prices had gone up perhaps 10% to 20%. More importantly, they have deleted their "cut-rate" menu - I think they called it something like the "2-4-6-8" menu (referring to dollar amounts for certain special menu items.) In the old days, DW and I could waddle out of Denny's for $10 total (two $4 meals minus 15% AARP discount plus 30% tip.)

Today, with tip, two meals were over $20. Full disclosure: DW and I waddled out, carrying a left-overs box full of food. YMMV

One of my hobbies is cruising second hand shops like Habitat ReStore. In the last month or so, they have raised their prices significantly. Not that it is going to break me, but I was kind of surprised at the jump.

I can't believe I got a sink for $5 there last Friday. I fully expect them to raise it to a minimum $10 soon.

Faucets were nowhere to be found, though.

I thought the prices of some of their broken-down cabinets were high ($50-ish), until I saw the new stuff being sold at Big Box. Woah! $200 for a 24" bath vanity made of saw dust that is already disintegrating. At least the existing plywood second hand cabinets can be fixed up and painted, and still have enough integrity to hold a sink.

Here's a weird one, but going in the opposite direction. I've been getting chocolate milk from Aldi for years. It comes in a half-gallon size, and would usually cost about $1.49-$1.59. I like their chocolate milk because it's whole milk. Probably not the best in the world for you, health wise, but it almost tastes like a treat and makes most other chocolate milk taste like chocolate water!

Anyway, it had spiked a bit, as high as maybe $1.95-$2.00. But, the last time I was in the store, down to $1.42 for a half gallon. I think that might be the cheapest I've ever seen it!

2010 hot water heater installed 950, new one the other day 1800.

DH paid $88/lb for deli sliced chicken breast! $55 for 2/3 of a pound.

IMG_2657.jpg

Obviously an error. The deli slicing guy, the checkout cashier and DH never noticed. I saw the amount on the receipt and caught it.

Of course, DH took it back and got a refund.

And it wasn’t even chicken breast, it was oven roasted turkey for 7.99/lb.

Last edited:
........Faucets were nowhere to be found, though...........
My local ReStore frequently has new, high quality faucets that they set out in the original box and in no time, all the parts are scattered all over. I don't understand why they do this and even less, understand why people scatter the parts.

I can't believe I got a sink for $5 there last Friday. I fully expect them to raise it to a minimum $10 soon.

Faucets were nowhere to be found, though.

I thought the prices of some of their broken-down cabinets were high ($50-ish), until I saw the new stuff being sold at Big Box. Woah! $200 for a 24" bath vanity made of saw dust that is already disintegrating. At least the existing plywood second hand cabinets can be fixed up and painted, and still have enough integrity to hold a sink.

Heh, heh, can we add all this to our "shrink-flation" list?:facepalm:

Chicken Breasts FINALLY went up at our Aldi from $189 a pound to $2.58 a pound. That is quite a hike. Boneless Pork Loin prices are still good. We buy the full loins and cut them into "Sensible" thickness (1" to 1.25") chops, as opposed to the skimpy thin ones that are precut. Fresh Salmon and Tilapia are still prices well.

We do not eat much red meat lately with the exception of lean hamburger, that is still reasonable here.

Last edited:
I complained about the jump in the price of apples earlier in this thread. Walmart just raised them another 40 cents for the 3 pound bag, about 10%!

And soup just went up another 10%. That makes it about 43% higher than 2020 and probably much of 2021.

Walmart house brand made medium pizza (not frozen - You cook) meat lovers. Used to be $5.00 now it's $8.50. For that new price, they can sit there.;)

Personal Property Tax

For those of you that have this tax on vehicles, boats, trailers, etc. be prepared. Our county tax assessor is a neighbor, and warned we will be a little surprised when the tax bill comes. It is based on the assessed value of these vehicles, and those values have gone up significantly (as we all know), so the tax man will come looking.

In fairness to him, he and his office are bound by the formulas in the law. But he expects a LOT of flack.

Klondike Ice Cream bars that have always been 6 ounces are now 5 1/2 ounces.

For those of you that have this tax on vehicles, boats, trailers, etc. be prepared. Our county tax assessor is a neighbor, and warned we will be a little surprised when the tax bill comes.
I've been hit with this already this year. If I could sell my car for even half the county assessment, I'd be stunned.

Back
Top Bottom