Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2022, 06:51 AM   #361
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by isisdave View Post
...At our Walmart, on the bakery table, there are these little 3-inch pies and coffee cakes. They're full of "ingredients" but still tasty; please don't think less of me for being familiar with them...

I "noticed" that they cranked up the price 50% on those, too.

For $0.50 I'd often pick one up on a whim. No it's much easier to resist. Thank you for keeping me healthy, Walmart!
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #362
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Just ate at Texas Road House - my favorite: The Road Kill chopped steak. Excellent as usual. Only issue is that it was $11 rather than $8 as it was 2 years ago. The good news: DW and I figured how to stretch the meal between two people. Road Kill comes with 2 sides. I got a baked potato and she got a baked sweet potato. We brought food home! Total with tip: $15. Not too bad for a great meal. YMMV
There is a local "Hole in the wall" here in town that has a drive thru and 1 concrete picnic table sitting under a shade tree in the parking lot. When I was wor#### I would often take my lunch at 11am to beat the crowd and eat on the table. Now I have started going by around 430 pm to beat the get off wor# folks & swing thru the drive thru. I buy one BBQ sandwich which comes with fries for $9.63 up from $6.96 it was ---tax included! Then at home we make 2 sandwiches then put te rest of the meat in the fridge for 2 more lunches within a couple of days. Another good deal is at a couple of other places my DW orders the kid meal and she can still get another meal out of it.(she is 5'4" 110 lbs soaking wet-up from 105 lbs when we married 50 yrs ago!) There are many ways to stretch a meal if you arn't afraid of leftovers.
Venturer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:25 PM   #363
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just stayed at a little motel / RV park on the Oregon coast in a fishing / logging town on a weekday. It cost $254 for one night which included a $25 charge for having our pooch with us. Maybe I'm out of touch, but that seems like quite an escalation.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:30 PM   #364
Give me a forum ...

Just dropped $55 for 3 lunches at Applebees (no drinks). I think that's about $10 more than 3 years ago but don't have documentation. Good news: Their quality seems to be back! YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 12:47 PM   #365
Moderator Emeritus

California Pizza Kitchen here (this is NOT California), almost ordered a club sandwich until I realized the price was $18.00. That's a bit much for a BLT with a few slices of thin ham/turkey on it. FRIES WERE EXTRA. Came with chips.
Old 07-31-2022, 12:49 AM   #366

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Can you tell them, "Here's $5. I will take a live chicken and save you the hassle of cooking it"?

The chicken will pay you back in eggs in 2 weeks, after that it's pure profit.
Make sure you get smart chickens. My feral hens are too dumb to choose nesting sites that are not mongoose feeders even though they have plenty of good choices. And the rooster is a big wimp. He does not protect them. But that's what you get with volunteers and squatters.
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 12:52 AM   #367

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Heh, heh, the neighborhood strays would hardly have been worth eating.
Don't be silly. There are people who will buy them for the meat. Not going to name nationalities though!
SecondAttempt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:57 AM   #368
Recycles dryer sheets

The wheat bread we buy was 3.49/loaf and now it is 4.09 at one store and 4.99 at another. The 8 pack of 12 oz Dr. Pepper jumped to 7.99. It has steadily gone up from about 3.99 over the last year. Usually it goes a dollar at a time. We buy them when they have sales.
djsander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:16 PM   #369
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsander View Post
The wheat bread we buy was 3.49/loaf and now it is 4.09 at one store and 4.99 at another. The 8 pack of 12 oz Dr. Pepper jumped to 7.99. It has steadily gone up from about 3.99 over the last year. Usually it goes a dollar at a time. We buy them when they have sales.

A dollar a can for soda pop!

I can get descent beer for very little more,and my state taxes alcohol like we are all billionaires.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #370
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post

I can get descent beer for very little more,and my state taxes alcohol like we are all billionaires.

It's not the soda that went up so far in price, it's the cost increases in bottling, transportation, delivery, store space rent, etc. Inflation hits the whole supply chain.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:34 PM   #371
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

We watch the sales and they are usually 3 12 packs for $12 or a little more. DW can’t go without her daily Dr. Pepper. It’s her version of coffee. She says she accounted for prices of something’s going up i.e. property taxes and insurance for our retirement and a moderate level for other things, but not big jumps in everything.
Old 08-08-2022, 12:39 PM   #372
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
It's not the soda that went up so far in price, it's the cost increases in bottling, transportation, delivery, store space rent, etc. Inflation hits the whole supply chain.
Very true. The wife always said everything’s going up but your paycheck. Now I don’t even have that paycheck! She is the frugal one and has trained me well so now we live pretty well even living beneath our means. Our withdrawal rate maybe 2% or even less when I start SS. She has always wanted a big cushion because she says the prices always go up!
Old 08-08-2022, 12:56 PM   #373
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yep. I was shocked to see the current price of black 4" corrugated drain pipe. I can't give exact comparisons, but it seems to be about double from before the pandemic.

This is stuff made of oil. It is bulky and takes up a lot of delivery space, storage space, and so on. The whole chain's issues caused this stuff to skyrocket.

JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:34 PM   #374
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
True. But wouldn't the beer supply chain also be hit with those costs?

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:39 PM   #375
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
True. But wouldn't the beer supply chain also be hit with those costs?
Sure...I don't buy beer but I would bet that prices have gone up over the last few years.
Old 08-09-2022, 12:47 PM   #376

Walked around the fairgrounds prior to the start. A food booth was up already, with the prices posted. Gyro $10, said the sign. After the fair started, I went back and the Gyro was now $14. Must have been last year's sign that said $10, ha ha. I am glad to report that I never see a line at the booth for the $14 Gyro. But they are keeping the price at $14, anyway. It's a 1 week fair, maybe they will come down. And no, I did NOT buy a gyro for $14.
John Galt III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:01 PM   #377

Well, it finally happened.

The fresh-baked bread and the little 3-packs of home-style cookies at Walmart went from $1 each to $1.47.

It's official. The current inflation rate stands at 47%. Politicians take notice.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:02 PM   #378
Give me a forum ...

Stopped in my local grocery to buy a watermelon. I'm used to paying $4 or $5 for a full sized one. Sign said 79 cents a pound. Hmm, how much does a water melon weigh? I put it on the scale - 15 pounds, so they wanted $12 for that little beauty. No thanks.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 01:05 PM   #379
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Well, it finally happened.

The fresh-baked bread and the little 3-packs of home-style cookies at Walmart went from $1 each to $1.47.

It's official. The current inflation rate stands at 47%. Politicians take notice.
Yep, in line with my Walmart great value small 4 pack of yogurt that went from #$1.12 to $1.96.

The funny thing is with the bread and cookies is they will place those on the "day old" rack and still get $1 for them.
Old 08-09-2022, 01:07 PM   #380
Give me a forum ...

My son has moved out and I went to do my monthly grocery shopping. I spent 150. I will still need to pick up perishables, etc throughout the month but at the most it won’t be more than 50 so I am right on target not spending more than 200/month. I have company for dinner at least weekly so I am pleased. So happy we have Winco which makes all the difference.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote