Excellent Fortune article - US losing its edge

I'm not convinced you can lay the entire blame on the current administration.  The "globalization is good" refrain has been pretty consistent since the 1980's.  Globalization may increase wealth (and that is arguable), but it certainly promotes forces that depress wages in the higher standard of living area.

In my corner of the world, we have seen wave after wave of manufacturing closures since the 1960's.  Aside from the trades, there is essentially no more blue collar employment to be had.  A visitor from another planet could be forgiven a conclusion that the entire New England economy consists of Starbucks baristas serving each other coffee.

HaHa said:
It's pretty clear to me who is right. Even if one can't reason it out for himself, should he believe George Bush and John Snow, or Warren Buffet?

Up till last year I counseled students here in Japan about MBA choices. 5 years ago everyone who wanted a MBA wanted a US MBA. Now it seems Australia, England even France are viable choices. This is including top students. Reasons include americans have gone paranoid. Impossible to get a visa. Bush. Crime. etc.

All it takes is one generation to figure out an Australian education is as good as an American one and America will lose the cream of the students. Us will still be able to get student, just not the best ones.

My Japanese wife doesn't want to come back to the US. Guess she doesn't want her photo and fingerprints taken like a criminal.  ::)

mikew said:
My Japanese wife doesn't want to come back to the US. Guess she doesn't want her photo and fingerprints taken like a criminal.  ::)

I have never immigrated anywhere, but I can't help wonder how many countries would accept an immigrant without these very minimal verifications of identity and character.

Oh wait, we do- by the millions! Just not from Japan. Could your wife learn a little Spanish? Doesn't take much, many illegals barely know Spanish themselves.

Ha

mikew said:
The Japanese spouses I've met have become so Americanized that they swear they're never going back to Japan...

Sorry but I meant for a tourist visa not immigration. For immingration I can understand it but for tourists especially from safe countries. :confused: I think this is part of the reason tourism has not come back up after the attacks. At least some of the tourists are going to "less secure" destinations.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom