Join Early Retirement Today

Excellent scones
Old 07-06-2006, 10:21 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Excellent scones

The wife just turned out a batch of really great scones using my frozen butter trick, which also makes great biscuits, dumplings and pie dough.

Freeze a stick of butter until hard frozen. Make up your regular recipe but hold the butter where the recipe calls for 'cutting' it in. Break out a box or rotary grater and grate the frozen butter in at the last minute, turn it in with as little handling as possible just before baking and then roll or form your goods. The butter holds its grated form until it hits the oven and melts, making your baked items flakey and light. Hold the butter with an oven mitt or something like that to keep a grip on it and keep it from melting.

The scone recipe:

1.75 cups all purpose flour sifted
2.5 teaspoons double acting baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
.5 teaspoon salt

Mix

Beat 2 eggs, reserve a couple of tablespoons, add 1/2 cup cream or half and half.

Make a well in your dry ingredients, pour in the liquid and combine with limited strokes. Grate in 1/4 cup of butter. Stir just a few times.

Place on lightly floured board, pat 3/4 inch thick, cut into desired shapes, brush with the reserved egg and optionally sprinkle with a little bit of sugar.

Bake at 450 for 15 minutes.

A far cry from the scones you buy that you can dent a car with.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Excellent scones
Old 07-06-2006, 10:53 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks. I've been trying to break my 500 cal a day lemon scone habit for 3 months. Now I can make them at home.
Old 07-06-2006, 01:12 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

No extra charge!

I'm not much for baking, but these are just two easy. When I thought to make them for the first time years ago I hit the part in the recipe that said something like "cut in the butter with two knives until they reach the size of half a pea" and said "hmm...trader joes sells these, dont they?".

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 07-07-2006, 02:09 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

wow fuzzy,,,i had no idea you were a master-baker!
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 04:52 PM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

Cute Fuzzy Baker,
I will have to try this sometime when it's cooler temperature-wise.* I don't think I can get BF to make the scones because he shuns butter, which I love.

I tried your easy Thai coconut recipe and it was great.* I've had it twice now, and just dump things there that look like they should be in there, as you said--straw mushrooms, green onions, tofu, water chestnuts, green beans, potatoes, chicken, etc.* I put the whole stew-like concoction over rice, and it's pretty yummy.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 06:52 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Thats a good basic all around recipe...keep out the chicken stock and you've got a curry, add extra stock and you've got a soup.

I keep getting the craving for it during the hot weather months (go figure). Large can of chicken breast chunks, can of coconut milk, can of chicken stock, teaspoon of red thai chili paste and squeeze half a lime in it, maybe a few dashes of thai fish sauce if i'm not out of it and I remember.

That original recipe I posted was a great way to jazz up otherwise boring ground turkey. That jerk seasoned meatloaf was another one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107
wow fuzzy,,,i had no idea you were a master-baker!
Let me help you with the joke...

I came damn close as a teenager to joining the massachusetts debating team...