Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Expensive Washer/Dryer
Old 07-07-2020, 07:56 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Expensive Washer/Dryer

I have never had expensive appliances because I didn’t believe they did a better job. We always buy middle of the road. My kids bought appliances that retailed for 2100 and they paid 1600 2 years ago. They had to downsize because of job losses to a one bedroom with no hookups. We bought them and I cannot believe the difference. My little doggies use cloth potty pads and they look like new. What has been your experiences?
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2020, 09:12 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Washer and dryer for $1600? If so that is reasonable I think.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:27 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have never had expensive appliances because I didn’t believe they did a better job. We always buy middle of the road. My kids bought appliances that retailed for 2100 and they paid 1600 2 years ago. They had to downsize because of job losses to a one bedroom with no hookups. We bought them and I cannot believe the difference. My little doggies use cloth potty pads and they look like new. What has been your experiences?
When I moved into this house (five years ago) I bought a new oversized LG top-loading He washer and matching dryer. I got the ones that Consumer Reports liked at the time and paid $2200 including tax and delivery, from Sears.

They do SO much better with stains than my old, extremely cheap GE agitator washer and dryer that I bought back in 2002. I don't care about the water usage, because water is cheap here ($2/month), but I really like how clean my clothes are now. Also I like the pretty little song it plays when they are done, instead of the obnoxious "BUZZ!" from my GE washer and dryer.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 10:11 PM   #4
gone traveling

I don’t think our Miele washer/dryer pair is expensive.
The washer’s TwinDos system is amazing.
The dryer is ventless. Excellent.
davebarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 10:42 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

W2R, I really just thought the more expensive ones cleaned the same with fancier features. I was definitely wrong!
Old 07-08-2020, 11:12 AM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

The place we bought has an older Kenmore top loader and matching dryer. They seem to get the job done and were made when washing machines still filled the tub all the way. When we are ready to replace this one, we'll definitely look into those large capacity front loaders. Would be awesome to do 2 loads a week vs 4-5 now.
sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:22 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

My concern about such an expensive appliance is how long they will last. Appliances made in the 70's and 80's lasted a very long time, but that doesn't seem to be the case today. We have been pretty happy w/ buying used washer and dryers and using them until the give up the ghost. We don't get too dirty, so not sure if a "super" washer would do us any good, anyway.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:32 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am in the market for a new set in about a month. Don't want front loader washing machine. Thinking about Maytag but am open to suggestions.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:38 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just ordered the best could could find toploading with old school center agitator thing and dryer. Maytag. Got a price match on one from goedeckers.com . paid 1143 out the door with hoses and can't from Lowe's. 542.28 for washer with price match and 478 for dryer.
MrsHaloFIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:40 AM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post
I am in the market for a new set in about a month. Don't want front loader washing machine. Thinking about Maytag but am open to suggestions.
Consumer Reports shows LG to be the clear leader in HE top loader reliability, followed by Maytag. For agitator type washers, Speed Queen is tops.
Old 07-08-2020, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDARNELL View Post

we bought a Maytag top load washer and front load dryer a couple months ago. very happy so far.dryer much better than old kenmore and Washer seems fine as well. These are electric versions . Bought at Home depot for $698 each.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200514_135114 resized.jpg (36.2 KB, 238 views)
finnski1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 11:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsHaloFIRE View Post
I just ordered the best could could find toploading with old school center agitator thing and dryer. Maytag. Got a price match on one from goedeckers.com . paid 1143 out the door with hoses and can't from Lowe's. 542.28 for washer with price match and 478 for dryer.
Thanks. Good info. I'll work that angle.
JDARNELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:24 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
W2R, I really just thought the more expensive ones cleaned the same with fancier features. I was definitely wrong!
I did too! Boy was it a terrific surprise, when the new ones took out what I thought were permanent stains that had gone through the old washer/dryer set dozens of times. Suddenly I had a lot more clothes that could be worn away from home, instead of just around the house.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

The ones I bought from the kids are Samsung. Because I use cloth potty pads for the tiny dogs it makes a difference. I paid 800 so if they don’t last long it won’t matter. No more expensive than a cheap set.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:33 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

And how recent you bought the washer and dryer matters too. Even the cheaper ones nowadays (I think we paid around $1,200 on sale) are much better than the ones I bought 20 years ago. Same with dishwashers. We bought a cheap dishwasher but I am just so amazed at how well it cleans dirty, non-rinsed dishes and utensils. Technology for these appliances has advanced a bit.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:35 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

We had to replace the tub spring and rod suspension in our top load Maytag at 5 years of light duty use. The kit was $60 and two hours of my time. Maytag is not the "old Maytag" anymore.
Old 07-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Go for the middle model of Speed Queen. It comes with a long warranty, and is very, very popular with owners.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 02:58 PM   #18

I like to buy American if I can. Wisconsin-built is even better. Speed Queen still makes washers and dryers at its factory in Ripon, Wis. Some friends just bought a new Speed Queen washer/dryer combo, and when I got a look I was impressed. Stainless linings throughout. DW wants to replace our 1995-vintage Kenmores now. I'm resisting, as they still work fine. But ...
Old 07-08-2020, 03:14 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Maytag is not the "old Maytag" anymore.
The "old Maytag" was sold to Whirlpool many years ago. The new Maytag is nothing more than rebadged Whirlpool.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 03:19 PM   #20

My LG front loader wasn't that expensive, but it damaged clothes much less than top loaders with that giant 'beater'. We now have an Elecrolux washing machine, and it has steam for disinfecting...But just because it's $1K, doesn't mean it cleans better than the old LG...it does not. You really need to read reviews from CNET or Consumer Reports on the specific model you're considering. But they're enough to discourage you from buying almost any new appliance. Reliability is sadly lacking today in most of the big brands.