Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-17-2022, 08:09 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

If you want really good meat, go where the BBQ competition people go. Omaha steaks is not the place. Snake River farms is well thought of as is Compart for pork. Googling Wagyu steak will also produce some names. Omaha steaks is really not a food company, it is a marketing company.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2022, 08:30 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Our HEB Plus actually carries Snake River Farms in store.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:51 AM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks for the great advice everyone! I need to find a gift to ship to relatives several states away from me, so buying fresh meat locally is not an option. I will also check out Snake River farms.

What got me thinking about this was a coupon code I saw that seemed like a pretty good deal for the Omaha stuff. And, yes, it does include Robbie's caramel apple tarts!
EarlyandLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 09:52 AM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Re Omaha Steaks; you can get better beef at the grocery store. If you want to order up some good stuff, try Snake River Farms.
Thanks for the tip. I'll look them up!
EarlyandLate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 10:26 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I second Snake River Farms, our Costco Prime beef is excellent also.
We tried Omaha once, like most said, it was OK. My DB and DSiL get them all the time, they don't cook much and like the add-ons (potatoes, desserts). Makes for easy steak dinner for them.
Old 11-17-2022, 10:57 AM   #26
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is the current special they're offering, it came with the weekly coupon and supermarket flyers. I don't know what they charge for shipping.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20221117_093604402_HDR.jpg (399.5 KB, 45 views)
RetiredAndLovingIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:55 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

I don't find Omaha Steaks to be fine in any way. Order them, and they'll bother you for years trying to sell you more.

There are many great companies online selling far better meats for better prices.

Since inflation reared it's head, we seldom eat any steaks or roasts. It's chicken, pork and ground beef for us. I do have a couple of baby backs in reserve, however.

We've found that Costco's ground chuck @ $3.99 a lb. is in a class of its own in quality. Only problem is dividing up an 8 lb. pack into patties and smaller amounts for freezing.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 02:50 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

I have been buying Omaha Steaks since the mid-1990s. I have liked most of what I have bought, but it is overpriced (unless it is extra deeply discounted, a rarity). For the last few years, I buy only their burgers and, for my dad as a gift, franks, and various birthday gift packs for my brother and his small family.

For a while, I was picking up a good freebie now and then with their rewards program. But they have cut back that program so much it is pretty worthless to me any more. They used to have a retail store nearby, but they closed it many years ago so it's a bigger hassle going to one now about 20 miles away. The number of available items at that retail store have been reduced, too.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 03:36 PM   #29

Like most others here, I tried them once with a coupon years back. Nothing remotely special, and never ordered again.

If I was sending someone a food-related gift, it would be a gift card to somewhere I know they already like.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 04:31 PM   #30

We’ve given these steaks as gifts before. There filets are better than Omaha’s IMHO...

https://www.hickoryfarms.com/gourmet-food/steaks/
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 05:16 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Great steaks to be had at Costco and HEB. We also have a vacuum sealer.

I’ve got my eye out for that prime rib roast at Costco that usually shows up around the holidays. It came out so great last year.
Woohoo - Prime rib standing rib roast was there at Costco today.
Old 11-18-2022, 07:21 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Geezer/tightwad here but I do enjoy a good steak. We wait for the sales at our local supermarket and buy New York strips for ~$5/pound. I trim and vacuum seal them individually. DW and I usually split one with a salad. They are usually very good and tender with occasionally excellent steaks. Don't mind the extra work since I know where they came from and can easily return if I get a bad batch.
BTW meat in general is more expensive in Colorado than here in Louisiana. Why?
We do the same.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 08:26 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I think Omaha steaks are delicious and I loved the stuffed baked potatoes. However, unless you get a killer sale they are expensive.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 09:01 AM   #34

Not a meat or fish gift, but many years ago a friend's mother gifted us a "Fruit Of The Month" subscription for a year.

What a delightful treat that was!
Old 11-18-2022, 09:02 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Decades ago we enjoyed Harry and David fruit of the month club. We’d never eaten such luscious pears!
Old 11-18-2022, 12:12 PM   #36
Full time employment: Posting here.

Omaha was fine the times I've had it. Crowd Cow has better quality and more meats in general. But really you'll get the best quality by finding your local fancy independent butcher and buying good cuts, here in the bay area where I live I like Pape Meats.

For supermarkets Whole Foods used to have distinctly better meat than Safeway, but I feel like the quality gap narrowed a lot and at least locally they don't actually have butchers at Whole Foods anymore which turns out to make them useless when you need something cut specifically the way you want.

Are you looking at mail ordering because they live far away? If so go with Crowd Cow, the quality is solid, the price is only mildly outrageous and it gets around going to a butcher and giving not deep frozen meat.
Retch The Grate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 12:41 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Re Omaha Steaks; you can get better beef at the grocery store. If you want to order up some good stuff, try Snake River Farms.
Agreed, but to be fair, Snake River Farms are in a different price universe.
euro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:17 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Tried it when they were a client of my company. If you gift Omaha Steaks, both you and the recipient will be bombarded with regular phone calls and direct mail to buy more overpriced food. I'd pick something else as a gift...
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 01:28 PM   #39

Quote:
Great steaks to be had at Costco and HEB. We also have a vacuum sealer.

I’ve got my eye out for that prime rib roast at Costco that usually shows up around the holidays. It came out so great last year.

Our great steaks are from Wegmans. Like single malt 12 yo scotch, don't try Wegmans or you will never enjoy the other sources again.

Our commissary does the rib roast we get for Christmas.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:30 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Decades ago we enjoyed Harry and David fruit of the month club. We’d never eaten such luscious pears!
Not everyone likes fruit every month.....